House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Female Firearms Officers Win £70,000 Payout For Sex Discrimination - Because Their Guns Were Too Big For Their Small Hands

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2561467/Firearms-officer-wins-sex-discrimination-case-against-police-chiefs-gun-big-small-hands.html

Female firearms officers win £70,000 payout for sex discrimination - because their guns were too big for their small hands

Victoria Wheatley and Rachel Giles are part of armed units at nuclear sites

As part of their jobs, they are required to take test shoots

Failing a test shoot could mean that officers lose their jobs

Pair complained that their performance was hampered by equipment

They said the handle of the guns was too big, and that body armour didn't fit

Both officers say they complained to senior staff but were ignored

I really hope there is more to this than how it's presented here, but sometimes it's just tough 5h1t.

Next up firearms officers to sue because the gun makes a loud bang that frightens them?

So when they make the guns too small will the men be able to complain that their hands are too big?

Although this is starting to get like goldilocks.

On the face of it the claim does not sound unreasonable. Tools should adapt to the people using them where possible, not the other way around.

On the face of it the claim does not sound unreasonable. Tools should adapt to the people using them where possible, not the other way around.

Yes. This is similar to the case of women made to march to men's stride "length". They had a valid case because with smaller frames their stride should obviously be shorter. And forcing them to match the male stride probably caused some injuries. Likewise smaller guns are better suited to women. Just common sense really. And we certainly don't want anything getting in the way of accuracy where firearms are concerned.

I just picture a male drill or weapons instructor being deliberately inflexible with women. Some people enjoy causing problems for others. I've met some at work, though that was an all male situation. But the gender factor is irrelevant. It's just the same pig-headed individuals causing grief.

I'm attending a firearms class this week actually, just for fun. I'll report back whether the women were advised to use smaller handguns... though I'm sure we already know the answer to that.

Yeah, they could just give them cap guns, instead.

Or they could only hire people who are actually capable of the job.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2561467/Firearms-officer-wins-sex-discrimination-case-against-police-chiefs-gun-big-small-hands.html

I really hope there is more to this than how it's presented here, but sometimes it's just tough 5h1t.

Next up firearms officers to sue because the gun makes a loud bang that frightens them?

So when they make the guns too small will the men be able to complain that their hands are too big?

So it'd be different if a similar sized MALE officer complained? Wouldn't he be entitled to compo? As usual the Daily Wail's bias on the story attracts the worst sort of discrimination.

German police ladies do not seem to have these problems. Perhaps the UK issues inappropriately large weapons, to make blokes cocks seem bigger!

On the other hand, (sic) do any lady pianists claim pianos are too big?

As a left-handed person, I have had to use tools, equipment, machines and musical instruments that caused me every kind of annoyance - from mild irritation with having to do things back-to-front to full-on physical pain when using carpet scissors on a very thick carpet.

If you regard the claims of these pair of chancers as being reasonable, then me and up to ten percent of the world's population have been well shafted and should log straight on to cack-handed-lawyers4U.com without delay...!

I mean whatever horse-shit will you countenance next - Boy George joins the fuzz and gets some compo 'cos he broke his fingernails on the friggin' trigger...?

This country is totally, unquestionably, categorically and absolutely screwed beyond all repair as long as shite like this goes on.

No really, we ARE...!

XYY

Just to add, though these women definitely have a logical argument for the correct equipment, the logical solution is to provide them with this equipment.

Not provide them with £70K :lol:

Yeah, they could just give them cap guns, instead.

Or they could only hire people who are actually capable of the job.

Or they could do what they do in the armed forces and lower the entry requirements for women. If men complain then lower the requirements for men too.

What could possibly go wrong?

Failing a test shoot could mean that officers lose their jobs

Did they actually fail a test shoot because of this?

Are males with small hands to be similarly compensated?

I have some sympathy with the women concerned but £70K is a huge payout, even if it is £35K each (?).

There is actually a 'Lady Glock' designed to fit smaller female hand sizes. However, one wonders whether some women issued with such a weapon then might also sue for being given a smaller weapon than male colleagues?

This isn't about lowering standards. It's about issuing the right equipment to the right people <_<

If you join a company and they issue you a uniform in XL when you need a medium, then that means you're not fit for the job right?

You turn up for a job in a butchers and they hand you an apron size small. You need a large. You're fired.

Your first day as an astronaut for NASA. You need a .....

I could go on. Don't tempt me ;)

Women in my platoon had shortened stocks/butts on the assault rifles.

nothing quite like butt enhancements on the ladies...

If you join a company and they issue you a uniform in XL when you need a medium, then that means you're not fit for the job right?

If you join a company as a mechanic and you can't carry the tools, they don't buy you new ones that are lighter. Particularly when there are plenty of other candidates who can actually do the job with the tools provided.

Yes. This is similar to the case of women made to march to men's stride "length". They had a valid case because with smaller frames their stride should obviously be shorter. And forcing them to match the male stride probably caused some injuries. Likewise smaller guns are better suited to women. Just common sense really. And we certainly don't want anything getting in the way of accuracy where firearms are concerned.

I just picture a male drill or weapons instructor being deliberately inflexible with women. Some people enjoy causing problems for others. I've met some at work, though that was an all male situation. But the gender factor is irrelevant. It's just the same pig-headed individuals causing grief.

I'm attending a firearms class this week actually, just for fun. I'll report back whether the women were advised to use smaller handguns... though I'm sure we already know the answer to that.

Forgive me for my lack of common sense, but aren't gun sizes generally built to in accordance with the size of bullets they'll shoot?

I mean isn't the important thing here that the gun is big enough to take down whoever it's aimed at, not that a dainty little girl doesn't strain her wrists carrying it?

I mean isn't the important thing here that the gun is big enough to take down whoever it's aimed at, not that a dainty little girl doesn't strain her wrists carrying it?

No, the important thing is that less-qualified and capable women should be given jobs in preference to better-qualified and more capable men. Because sexism.

It's just the usual lefty ploy of destroying organizations that might oppose them by promoting incompetence.

As a left-handed person, I have had to use tools, equipment, machines and musical instruments that caused me every kind of annoyance - from mild irritation with having to do things back-to-front to full-on physical pain when using carpet scissors on a very thick carpet.

XYY

I have left handed guitars! I wouldn't be bothered with a "backwards piano", and lathes and sewing machines, well, are just that way round!

You can get left handed scissors.

I have been very underwhelmed by so called "left hand drive" cars. Climbing over the gearstick to get to the driving seat is very un-ergonomic!

So any firearms experts here? Did the police issue guns only fit for sausage sized fingers?

I have left handed guitars! I wouldn't be bothered with a "backwards piano", and lathes and sewing machines, well, are just that way round!

You can get left handed scissors.

I do now have a left-handed guitar after years of playing upside-down, and I am aware of left-handed scissors, but my point is generally we just get on with it and accept - and don't go looking for 'compo'.

The only left-handed items I have ever been issued with as standard were a fountain pen at school - completely useless - and believe it or not, a left-handed gas-mask in the Army...!

XYYe

Makes me wonder how hard these women tried to adapt to their equipment, before they went after the compo. You can't make your hands bigger but strength and flexibility can be worked on and makes a big difference when handling tools/equipment.

There is a massive gap between the pampered public sector represented by a union and private sector employees. How many years taxes is this for an average paid private sector employee?

Forgive me for my lack of common sense, but aren't gun sizes generally built to in accordance with the size of bullets they'll shoot?

To an extent, but other factors will dictate weapon size - mechanical design, the intended range of the weapon, ergonomics, all sorts.

As TMT has already mentioned, Glock do make compact versions of the original 17, which is on the large side. The Glock 19/ 19sf uses the same ammo as the 17 and shares a lot of parts. Standard issue alongside the 17 in plenty of countries.

To an extent, but other factors will dictate weapon size - mechanical design, the intended range of the weapon, ergonomics, all sorts.

As TMT has already mentioned, Glock do make compact versions of the original 17, which is on the large side. The Glock 19/ 19sf uses the same ammo as the 17 and shares a lot of parts. Standard issue alongside the 17 in plenty of countries.

It makes me slightly nervous when people seem to know an awful lot about guns... :unsure:

;)