House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Getting A Wd Blue Sata Drive To Boot In A Laptop

Anyone resolved an issue like this in a laptop??? Or is it just going to be another HDD to solve this boot issue.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0037NYQ7K/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R2DSRDPZIW0QI7

I purchased this drive as a replacement for a failing drive in my Toshiba laptop. Needless to say the new drive fitted perfectly but then I found that my Backup/Restore software would not recognise it. To cut a long story short I managed to initialise/format the drive on a second laptop but my backup/restore software would still not recognise the new drive. I tried a clean install which took absolutely hours to complete only to find that the system ran so slowly as to be unuseable. Further research revealed that this drive (model WD3200BPVT) uses advanced formatting and the Western Digital website carries a set of utilities which can be downloaded to adjust the formatting to make it compatible with older systems/PCs. Unfortunately the utilities are provided by Acronis and I just happen to be using a copy of True Image Home 10. The downloaded utility completely trashed my existing installation of Acronis and still would not recognise the new drive properly. Eventually I returned the new drive for a refund and purchased the non-advanced version (model WD3200BEVT. This fitted perfectly and I restored my system in less than two hours. The moral of this tale is to be very wary of the new advanced formatting on hard drives unless you are certain that they will be compatible with your system.

Anyone resolved an issue like this in a laptop??? Or is it just going to be another HDD to solve this boot issue.

When mine died, I copied the recovery partition to the new disk and reinstalled from there.

XP has a problem with 'Advanced Format' drives because it automatically misaligns them when installing, which ensures the worst possible performance. Windows 7 and other recent operating systems know how to handle drives that lie about their block size, and align their partitions correctly.

Edit: Oh, and, if it has an XP jumper, ensure you don't install that unless you're running XP. Otherwise, any operating system that aligns properly will end up misaligned on the disk as the XP jumper automatically offsets everything by 512 byes.

When mine died, I copied the recovery partition to the new disk and reinstalled from there.

XP has a problem with 'Advanced Format' drives because it automatically misaligns them when installing, which ensures the worst possible performance. Windows 7 and other recent operating systems know how to handle drives that lie about their block size, and align their partitions correctly.

Edit: Oh, and, if it has an XP jumper, ensure you don't install that unless you're running XP. Otherwise, any operating system that aligns properly will end up misaligned on the disk as the XP jumper automatically offsets everything by 512 byes.

i made the mistake of cloning a mechanical drive to an ssd which ended-up mis-aligned, as you have described; and ran it that way for a couple of months before I found out.

i fixed it with a free utility called "Mini Tool Partition Wizard free" (google it) which can sort the alignment + provides a lot of other useful disk/ partition management options.

I'm trying to get Win7 installed.... I've recovered the recovery partition but the built in software didn't want to recognise it.

The main C drive has bad sectors so I can't recover that.

The Win7 format utility just says to change setting in the bios helpfully it doesn't give any indication what it should be changed too!

I'm trying to get Win7 installed.... I've recovered the recovery partition but the built in software didn't want to recognise it.

Actually, now you mention it, I remember now that I didn't copy the recovery partition over, I burned recovery CDs from it using the Toshiba application, and reinstalled from there. Probably not an option if the disk is that bad; mine just had a slowly increasing number of bad sectors.

The Win7 format utility just says to change setting in the bios helpfully it doesn't give any indication what it should be changed too!

did you make the recovery partition primary, assign it as a logical drive and make it bootable?

google "recovering a recovery partition", eg.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=recovering+a+recovery+partition&oq=recovering+a+recovery+part&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.10978j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

this might help:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/how-can-i-recover-my-recovery-partition/4313054e-bf8b-4eb0-b53a-87ab194dbc51

I may need to check what the cloning software did.

However when I use a bootable Win7 DVD the installation disc brings up a message saying the new hdd can't be booted from it.

it might be easier just to download a win 7 installation disc here:

http://www.techfleece.com/2012/10/18/download-windows-7-install-disks-legally-for-free/

activate it with the COA ID on the back of your laptop (you might have to phone MS to make that go through -- tell them your drive crashed).

and then re-source any missing drivers from your laptop manufacturer's website.

Some proprietory laptop recoveries wont work unless the drive is the same as the dead one.

Reinstall with a new copy of OEM windows will fix, unless there is a problem with the new drive.

Finally got the thing to boot, it appears this drive doesn't like the AHCI setting. Once I disabled this function in the bios Windows was quite happy to install.

Thats interesting...it seems that many recovery systems, indeed many laptops are installed in IDE mode with FAT format...it could be the recovery wouldnt work with the modern AHCI as it was originally installed in IDE and the current drive was asking for AHCI.

could explain why the couple of SONYs ive rebuilt wouldnt load their recovery DVDs to install the new drive?

Not sure this is a WD issue at all.

EDIT

Looks like there is a fixit for the issue too

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

it might be easier just to download a win 7 installation disc here:

http://www.techfleece.com/2012/10/18/download-windows-7-install-disks-legally-for-free/

activate it with the COA ID on the back of your laptop (you might have to phone MS to make that go through -- tell them your drive crashed).

and then re-source any missing drivers from your laptop manufacturer's website.

It would appear Windows happily activated.