House Price Crash Forum

Have You Seen The B.....y Prices Of Family Holidays

HOLA441

Living five minutes walk across a field from a beach means we rarely feel the urge to shell out to see another beach. My wife and sprogs did it for the first time last year - and thought it was a hideous waste of wonga and very boring.

HOLA442

Iv known a few people who have lost their houses and ended up bankrupt due to holidays.I kid you not.

One family kept MEWing the house to pay off credit cards the had used to book holidays on.

Another MEWed 4 times for £15k a time to replace the car and go on a "big holiday" every year.

Both bought houses for £30k 15 years ago that went to £90k.Both ended up repo and then bankrupt after money problems ended up splitting the relationships up and will now struggle for the rest of their lives.

They would of been mortgage free now but instead are paying £450 rent on £1000 a month wages.Still they have the photos of Mickey Mouse to remember the happy MEW days.

Ah yes, see the second song in my sig.

HOLA443

First year with the kids in school - booking flights and hotel saves a huge amount eg 9 nights in Turkey all-inc coming back at £5k+ for the hotel we want on the agents sites (some even suggesting £7k to 8k!!), versus about £3k booking flights direct through airline and hotel through own website (plus 10% discount code).

Sad fact is for a family of four, a decent all-inc holiday is almost impossible to find for less than £2.5k these days.

HOLA444
HOLA445

First year with the kids in school - booking flights and hotel saves a huge amount eg 9 nights in Turkey all-inc coming back at £5k+ for the hotel we want on the agents sites (some even suggesting £7k to 8k!!), versus about £3k booking flights direct through airline and hotel through own website (plus 10% discount code).

Sad fact is for a family of four, a decent all-inc holiday is almost impossible to find for less than £2.5k these days.

:o I think I spent about £2.5k for five months in India including flights...

HOLA446
Guest TheBlueCat

So exactly what else will you have when you rumbling along in your zimmer at 80....

A very large stash of bottled water, baked beans and tinfoil maybe?! Memories are worth paying for although I generally agree with the point that they can be had for a lot less money than Thomas Cook would have you believe.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449