House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Killer Bunny

Have You Seen The B.....y Prices Of Family Holidays

I am aghast how much folk spend on their 2 or 3 weeks in the sun. Truly amazed. And extremely depressed of all this that people gladly throw away thousands for 2 weeks..

When will people wake up?

Answer - when they are shocked by what happens.

I am aghast how much folk spend on their 2 or 3 weeks in the sun. Truly amazed. And extremely depressed of all this that people gladly throw away thousands for 2 weeks..

Yes but think of the memories. :lol:

I suppose a family holiday can cost whatever you want it to, last year me and my 15-y-o boys had three days at Brands Hatch for the truck festival and racing, I slept in the truck and they slept in a tent, we had a great break and all it cost was £35 for the entry fee plus the diesel to get there.

A week's holiday in August, hiring a narrowboat in Cheshire, is costing me £1,500 for five of us and I don't think that's an enormous amount as we won't be out spending £100+ a day on theme parks etc as you might do on holiday.

But then I suppose I could easily find a Barbados holiday for £8,000+ if I was minded to.

I agree. It's madness.

Has anyone seen that advert, for Thomson's I think, about this ogre chap who goes on a package holiday and then turns back into a normal person?

Nobody seems to have noticed that he lives in a sh*t house by a railway line in a grey old England, working in a crap office job. If he told them all to shove it and moved to Spain/Barbados/whatever package hotel destination permanently he could feel great all the time instead of working all year to pay to feel nice for a fortnight! Daft.

If I didn't arrange my own travel I was actually thinking how little the type of 'arranged' package holiday I'd be interested in buying would cost me compared to 2 or 3 weeks 'in the sun' c/o an agent - or dare I say, compared to a couple of months mortgage on a UK property.

Secret Compass

Wait a Little

Edited by LiveinHope

Book direct....online ...pay at destination when completely satisfied in Euros......easy jet/rayanair £50 return per person....DIY it can be done there are people out there that are happy to provide a value for money holiday for the whole family....book directly, cut out the middle person/agent and save yourself unesssary expense. ;)

To answer the other question - Any other sets of prices driving you livid? - yes. Single person supplements for holidays. It's massively unfair. A tax on loneliness.

On my last holiday I went with a married couple who shared a room of their own but we stayed at the same hotel and booked as a package through the the same firm. They went for two weeks, I could only afford to go for one. Towards the end of my one week there, they let slip that they'd paid less for their 2 weeks for 2 people than I'd paid for 1 week for just me.

A co-worker friend of mine used to spend 4 quid a day on coffee's, another 4 on food, thats 40 per week, I used to spend 5 on byo sandwiches, make my own tea. He also bought dvd's every week, I hired or went to library for free or swapped with others. Anyway we did an Audit and if he followed my principals he would have been around 5k per year better off. He used to think I was rich going sailing in Greece or visiting family in Oz. He changed and can now do holidays and save more money. He was also smart with a masters in Engineering and came from the well off middle class, me from the gutter (almost). Common dog is not attached to any particular intelligence level or social class.

Problem solved

Found week in holiday camp in Brittany - £600

Week in Normandy cottage in country - £400

Sorted. Bliss.

But bl00dy H3ll - at first all I could see were £2000 in chav hotels

or £4000 for some quality!!!

Tourism is big business!

The best way to save on holidays is to cut out the middle man.....book budget flight in advance, or drive and deal directly with the Hotel, B&B, Gite etc......pay in destination currency at time of the holiday.....house swaps are also popular, only have to find travel costs......there are lots of ways to save money safely, there are many places that can offer new travel experiences and are very open to business, the supply is out there. ;)

Iv known a few people who have lost their houses and ended up bankrupt due to holidays.I kid you not.

One family kept MEWing the house to pay off credit cards the had used to book holidays on.

Another MEWed 4 times for £15k a time to replace the car and go on a "big holiday" every year.

Both bought houses for £30k 15 years ago that went to £90k.Both ended up repo and then bankrupt after money problems ended up splitting the relationships up and will now struggle for the rest of their lives.

They would of been mortgage free now but instead are paying £450 rent on £1000 a month wages.Still they have the photos of Mickey Mouse to remember the happy MEW days.

Problem solved

Found week in holiday camp in Brittany - £600

Week in Normandy cottage in country - £400

Sorted. Bliss.

But bl00dy H3ll - at first all I could see were £2000 in chav hotels

or £4000 for some quality!!!

Nice one, lovely part of the world.

Iv known a few people who have lost their houses and ended up bankrupt due to holidays.I kid you not.

One family kept MEWing the house to pay off credit cards the had used to book holidays on.

Another MEWed 4 times for £15k a time to replace the car and go on a "big holiday" every year.

Both bought houses for £30k 15 years ago that went to £90k.Both ended up repo and then bankrupt after money problems ended up splitting the relationships up and will now struggle for the rest of their lives.

They would of been mortgage free now but instead are paying £450 rent on £1000 a month wages. Still they have the photos of Mickey Mouse to remember the happy MEW days.

Crazy stuff.

when ones house is increasing in value by 20k per annum as one sits on ones jacksie, who's going to blink at spending 5k on 2 weeks in the sun? All part of the bubble innit.

Expect the same to happen to holidays when this insane situation crashes.

They would of been mortgage free now but instead are paying £450 rent on £1000 a month wages.Still they have the photos of Mickey Mouse to remember the happy MEW days.

Ah yes, the north eastern splurge family.

Easy come, easy go they tell me.

Yet its never easy come - unless they work in the public sector.

F-cking harder to get back.

Explains why Pysche is so big in a town that is so poor:

http://psyche.co.uk/

I used to go out with a girl who worked in the older shop in the early 90s.

The psychology of some of its customers was nuts.

I'd see 40yo self inflicted cripples shuffle in and spend £60 on a shirt then cross over to Kwiksave and spend £3 on a greasy cut of meat and smash.

I'm seeing the relentless increases in the price of certain flights year on year. Having to pay full price for a 2 year old doesn't help. I'm looking at a couple of weeks take home pay just for flights for the family. And I a) earn a reasonable amount and B) watch what I spend.

I'm sure it'll all be fine :rolleyes:

The thing is, whilst they are doing the MEW, that *look* successful, and given the psychological trait people have of comparing themselves with their peers, it is hard for the prudent.

It's also why a relatively small number of genuinely feckless people can drag a large number of people with them on the 'It must be OK because XXX is doing it' principle. And, of course, why we *should* have a far more restrained banking system. A bank manager of old would have refused the remortgage, or at least you hope they would.

I'm seeing the relentless increases in the price of certain flights year on year. Having to pay full price for a 2 year old doesn't help. I'm looking at a couple of weeks take home pay just for flights for the family. And I a) earn a reasonable amount and B) watch what I spend.

I'm sure it'll all be fine :rolleyes:

Depends, at least if your kids are pre-school-age you have the option of going out of the school holidays.

Have a look at the price of a week in a holiday caravan in this country in August if you REALLY want to raise your blood pressure.

Depends, at least if your kids are pre-school-age you have the option of going out of the school holidays.

Have a look at the price of a week in a holiday caravan in this country in August if you REALLY want to raise your blood pressure.

My older one is in school and don't forget you can pretty much drive to a British holiday for the cost of a tank of fuel ~ order of magnitude less.

You could sneak them out of school during term time and avoid the captive audience the holiday companies currently have. Oh wait you might get fined a zillion quid, get your kids expelled and go to prison.

Just a thought on holidays to tie in with the working from home/abroad thread - since moving abroad and working part time I find I have very little desire to go on holidays. I feel I'm 'on holiday' permanently in some ways. I find living in a country with unbroken sunshine from March to November, cheap booze and a 'cafe culture' I don't get that feeling of needing to escape grey Britain.

when ones house is increasing in value by 20k per annum as one sits on ones jacksie, who's going to blink at spending 5k on 2 weeks in the sun? All part of the bubble innit.

Expect the same to happen to holidays when this insane situation crashes.

Indeed. But we have no inflation...

Indeed. But we have no inflation...

House prices locally not increased in 10 years ( according to the land registry of ACTUAL SOLD PIRCES ).....who's been spending off the back of that ?