House Price Crash Forum

Insurance Question

SarahBell

HOLA441
HOLA442

Some silly woman reversed into me today.

She wants to pay for the dint to be ironed out rather than insurance.

She's not been in touch yet about sorting that out.

At what time should I ring my insurance?

There's what you're obliged or required to do or what you actually do ;)

I'm pretty sure the insurance company Ts and Cs will require you to report all accidents promptly.

However even if someone does reverse into you, that doesn't necessarily mean they will be found at fault. Once you put in an insurance claim they may well say that you drove into them (driving into the back of someone else is very common and this is a problem if the damage to your car is at the front) and you are at fault. Both of you then potentially stand to lose your NCD if the parties cannot agree.

This happened to a friend - on a hill - waiting at traffic lights - car in front with poor handbrake and clutch control - rolled backwards into their car. Friend not at fault, but that's not how it was judged.

If you can reach a quick resolution with the other party and the damage is minor and you're paid you might be happy with this and to have the repairs done privately without saying anything.

The danger being that the cheque might not arrive, might bounce, and so forth, so if you're going to pursue that then I'd make certain you get and forward an estimate and stipulate by when you want the money as cleared funds e.g. set a deadline not too many days away or if you then have to go via the insurance they might reasonably ask you why it took e.g. three weeks to report it, which doesn't weigh in your favour.

HOLA443

Well as far as I'm concerned she shouldn't be the one deciding.

If she wants to keep it off the insurance then the burden is on here to get it sorted quickly.

Personally if it was me I'd just refuse in the first place, exchange details and put the claim in immediately. She has reversed in to you causing you hassle, no idea why you feel you should do her any favours.

HOLA444

Cos we are still fielding calls from the accident nearly 2 years ago.

I want it never to have happened!

Twatty woman.

She sounded like she has done it all before.. She says she knows this garage who'll do the repair.

Blacked out rear windows in a rav4.

HOLA445

If she wants to keep it off the insurance then the burden is on here to get it sorted quickly.

So do I ring her now and say "why haven't you been back in touch yet"?

It's been over 3 hours.

I have 7 days to ring the insurance but will feel funny if I don't ring them by 5pm

HOLA446

1) What makes you certain she has not already 'phoned her insurance company saying you drove into her?

2) Why would you let her decide how the damage should be sorted out, where and when?

3) Even if she backs down on using her own garage, why would you let someone reverse into you, keep you waiting for information, make you do the rounds for repair quotes then chase her for the money?

4) Why have insurance but not let them handle what you are paying for?

Seriously, phone your insurance company NOW and refer all and any calls from the woman to your insurer.

Really, don't give it a moment's thought....call them now!

HOLA447

The reason she's reluctant to get her insurer involved is the risk of losing her NCB, which could be a substantial sum.

Personally I would give the other party 48 hours to cough up cash for the repair, after which you'll report them to the police on suspicion of having been driving without insurance.

HOLA448

The reason she's reluctant to get her insurer involved is the risk of losing her NCB, which could be a substantial sum.

Personally I would give the other party 48 hours to cough up cash for the repair, after which you'll report them to the police on suspicion of having been driving without insurance.

Not if it is protected. ;)

HOLA449

From *experience the NCD appears to be one of those BIG ticket reductions that don't actually amount to anything like **upto 70% off the original premium. I feel like a chump for keeping my motorcycle insurance 11+ years no claims.

* I put in a fairly sizeable claim just over a year ago (wrote off my £37k car and the other parties £15k claim (car and whiplash) I lost on a technicality but truth is it was a boy racer in a powerful car driving erratically and at excessive speed). We didn't have no claims discount protection all the insurance company did was reduce our discount from 6years to 3years then the interesting bit...

The automatic renewal our quote for the deceased car was actually £100 less and less than a fortnight ago we took out insurance on a new £35k car and the premium was roughly half on a similarly specc'ed (power etc) at £300 fully comp (I was anticipating a hefty premium... when it didn't arrive spent the money on new carpets instead :D )

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Out of interest....who pays for all the extra add ons like legal cover, breakdown cover, extra personal accident cover, this or that cover....who has ever benefited from all the extra covers.....or is it good money down a deep hole of extra covers you always pay for but never claim on or will ever need to claim upon?....every little bit all adds up over time ;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Out of interest....who pays for all the extra add ons like legal cover, breakdown cover, extra personal accident cover, this or that cover....who has ever benefited from all the extra covers.....or is it good money down a deep hole of extra covers you always pay for but never claim on or will ever need to claim upon?....every little bit all adds up over time ;)

Waste of time, when I wrote off my Suzuki GSXR600K1 the other party was absolutely at fault and the police wanted to throw the book at him (white van man) for dangerous driving. The legal team were insistent that all correspondence when past them first so I posted off the police question which they lost/failed to forward onto the police as a result of their inaction all charges were dropped.

HOLA4414

Me.....glad I did as the stupid woman ran me over at the filling station...Im still somewhat disabled 10 months on...Third MRI soon.

HOLA4415

She sounded like she has done it all before.. She says she knows this garage who'll do the repair.

Why would you possibly want to go to 'her mate' at the garage who'll probably bodge up a repair for the lowest cost to her?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Can you upload a pic of the damage to see what would be sensible money for the repair.

Settling without involving insurers is the best/least grief option often. There is a strong possibility it can negatively impact even where it appears obvious it is the other party's fault. If your insurers end up doing the repair for you, on your liability, the excess could still be more than you could get it repaired if you go to the right place.

If you've got a verifiable address and details I would get a few quotes, go for the cheapest, then send her the bill. If she doesn't pay then follow with a county court claim. Get the work done as competitively as possible to keep the risks low. I would avoid the mate doing the repair option unless it's a clearly bona-fide business and you can speak with them directly and agree they are doing the work. Best really would be to agree a cash amount for her to pay to settle from the get go.

Alternatively, contact the insurers with a, probably, 50/50 ish risk you'll end up paying the excess and possible higher premium - particularly if no witnesses.

HOLA4418

She's rung. Her friend is away in Tenerife at the moment and won't be back til next week.

Have been to an accident repair centre and he's quotes 576 for a new bonnet etc. .

Actually sounds dodgy now. I would be pencilling this in as BS. The Tenerife bit is an unnecessary extra bit of information which would suggest to me she is lying.

HOLA4419

1) What makes you certain she has not already 'phoned her insurance company saying you drove into her?

2) Why would you let her decide how the damage should be sorted out, where and when?

3) Even if she backs down on using her own garage, why would you let someone reverse into you, keep you waiting for information, make you do the rounds for repair quotes then chase her for the money?

4) Why have insurance but not let them handle what you are paying for?

Seriously, phone your insurance company NOW and refer all and any calls from the woman to your insurer.

Really, don't give it a moment's thought....call them now!

This is by far the best advice.

HOLA4420

The police will not care. I'll repeat, they will not care. Nobody has been injured. The police won't give a flying toss. You could bring them cast iron proof of this woman having no insurance and even then they will not give a flying ******. They. Don't. Care.

HOLA4421

It's this sort of stuff a dashcam can sort out.

I'd call your insurance assuming the quoted estimate proves reasonable, under £500 and I might be tempted to settle for cash but questionmarks over the character of the person involved leaves little option imo. Trust your instincts. The last thing you want is your car repaired to a poor standard with little recourse, which could happen if it is being done as a favour.

Glad noone was hurt.

HOLA4422

This is by far the best advice.

If there's no witnesses and no-one admits liability it will likely go knock for knock and end up paying the excess. Fix it yourself, or arrange your own repair much more cheaply than the insurance company will. Any money over the difference between the repair cost an the excess you can get out of the other party chalk up as a win.

Another thing I was going to say earlier is, if you've got their mobile number try to get them talking about them paying the repair by text message.

• 4 months later...
HOLA4423

I just seem to be a target for ridiculous collisions just lately...if it is not kids ramming their car door into my stationary car at the supermarket car park (and indeed getting said door stuck on my paintwork and having to be prised off) it's even more bizarre collisions.

A man wheeling a barrow across the road tried to time his run between me on the opposite side of the road and the oncoming vehicle on his side of the road. He started his run when I was virtually level with him as he was attempting to pass after my car had left. However, the f**king idiot coming toward him got angry and accelerated so he was either going to get killed or he had to take my back bumper off with his barrow...which he did.

Tbf the ''costermonger'' said his firm would pay for the damage, but I did manage to clip the bumper back on with no doubt weakened brackets. there was such a crash I was surprised there wasn't a massive dent but there wasn't.

I pride myself on being able to avoid collisions by being aware of others mistakes, maybe I should have got my foot down quicker; but stuff going on behind you is more difficult to anticipate.

Unbelievable bad driving though when cars accelerate into pedestrians or indeed one with a barrow.

These small incidents are a nuisance because they really don't warrant pursuing claims but your car is damaged nevertheless.

HOLA4424

Unbelievable bad driving though when cars accelerate into pedestrians or indeed one with a barrow.

These small incidents are a nuisance because they really don't warrant pursuing claims but your car is damaged nevertheless.

I have spoken to someone this week who is currently in her mum's car. She managed to get her feet in the wrong place at traffic lights and didn't brake because she was pressing the clutch.

Could have been worse if her foot had gone the otherway.

HOLA4425

Cos we are still fielding calls from the accident nearly 2 years ago.

I want it never to have happened!

Twatty woman.

Blacked out rear windows in a rav4.

In my experience, blacked out windows in a RAV4 means some dodgy connections somewhere. Seriously. Number of criminals with rav's is mental. I'd turn it over to the insurance company straight away after recorded her on a call where you confirm it was her fault.

Archived