House Price Crash Forum
cambridgehouses

Cambridge December 2013

Here are the latest figures from Cambridge where we have seen some stark falls after a spike in Oct/Nov:

DOWN. 9.5% Mom

DOWN 23.8% QoQ

DOWN 7.1% Yoy

I tend to not take much notice of the MoM figures as the sale volumes in Cambridge are quite low but the YoY figure is striking.

Enjoy:

Cambridge House Prices

Great news, may I ask what your methodology is to come up with those numbers? They are quite striking as you say.

Great news, may I ask what your methodology is to come up with those numbers? They are quite striking as you say.

Using the land reg monthly price paid data I extract entries for Cambridge (cb1-cb5) and insert these into a database, quite simple. I then can create some figures/graphs etc from the whole index.

I started it because there isnt a figurefor Cambridge city in the LR release. This hopefully helps people see the facts and not be taken in by VIs spin.

David

Using the land reg monthly price paid data I extract entries for Cambridge (cb1-cb5) and insert these into a database, quite simple. I then can create some figures/graphs etc from the whole index.

I started it because there isnt a figurefor Cambridge city in the LR release. This hopefully helps people see the facts and not be taken in by VIs spin.

David

Oh ok, how do you come up with an average? Is it just a straight average of what happens to sell in that particular month? (So like the Rightmove index which I understand to be done on that basis in respect of listed asking prices, rather than say the Land Registry's own index which is mix-adjusted and seasonally adjusted etc?)

Oh ok, how do you come up with an average? Is it just a straight average of what happens to sell in that particular month? (So like the Rightmove index which I understand to be done on that basis in respect of listed asking prices, rather than say the Land Registry's own index which is mix-adjusted and seasonally adjusted etc?)

Yes, nothing more complicated than that. I do provide a quarterly figure too and now can do yearly as we have the data. Within that I can break down by category of property and postcode, which is reached at the top menu buttons/rollovers. Top and tail removes price extremes.

Every month there are changes and deletions which have to be administered into the DB but I have knocked up a quick script that deals with that so updating is not much of a hassle.

D

Good info cambridgehouses. I'm moving from Edinburgh down to Cambridge for work shortly. Currently renting and plan to rent when I get down, but rental prices seem ludicrous. As do houseprices. I wondered if you had any thoughts on whether it's cheaper to buy or rent in Cambridge? I'll be in the 1 or 2 bed flat type market, possibly small terrace or semi-detached if a bit further out from center.

Thanks

B_Real