House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Independent Scotland 'would Find It Extremely Difficult To Join Eu'

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/16/independent-scotland-extremely-difficult-join-eu

It would be "difficult, if not impossible" for an independent Scotland to join the EU, the European commission president, José Manuel Barroso, said on Sunday.

The statement will dent the hopes of Scottish nationalists who claim the country would join the EU if Scotland votes yes in the 18 September referendum.

Barroso's comments provoked a furious response from senior SNP figures, who said his views were "pretty preposterous" and based on a false comparison.

Barroso told the Andrew Marr Show that member states seeking to prevent their own semi-autonomous regions from seceding would almost certainly block Scotland's membership. He said Scotland would have to apply for EU membership in the usual way.

"It will be extremely difficult to get the approval of all the other member states to have a new member coming from one member state," he said.

"We've seen that Spain has been opposing even the recognition of Kosovo, for instance, so it's to some extent a similar case because it's a new country and so I believe it's going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible, a new member state coming out of one of our countries getting the agreement of the other [existing member states]."

This is all getting very interesting now. The SNP have been all very happy clappy about how great an Independent Scotland would be but the reality is going to be something different. How long would it take Scotland to get EU membership? 5 years / 10 years? Longer? This type of discussion is something Salmond wants to avoid as it makes his vanity trip look very dubious and that he's completely clueless.

My guess is that if we have Conservative Government, they will pull all the strings to get Scotland into the EU pronto.

Whatever Dave says, he relishes all those Scottish Labour MPs out of the way.

This is entirely about putting down the Spanish separatists, nothing to do with the reality of Scotland joining.

Personally I think its entirely possible and an entirely bad idea, an independent Scotland should have its own currency and it should be called the Scottish Pund.

My guess is that if we have Conservative Government, they will pull all the strings to get Scotland into the EU pronto.

Whatever Dave says, he relishes all those Scottish Labour MPs out of the way.

An independent Scotland would reduce the number of Labour MPs

An independent Scotland would reduce the number of Labour MPs

And would prove to be a profound shock to the rest of the UK. It would not be long before the rest of the world woke up to the diminished status of 'GB' and forced the country to give up its permanent seat on the UN Security council, stopped funding its continual balance-of-payments deficit and generally regarded us as the offshore equivalent of Latvia.

And would prove to be a profound shock to the rest of the UK. It would not be long before the rest of the world woke up to the diminished status of 'GB' and forced the country to give up its permanent seat on the UN Security council, stopped funding its continual balance-of-payments deficit and generally regarded us as the offshore equivalent of Latvia.

How many nuclear submarines does Latvia have?

"Security" council, the clue is in the name.

even more great reasons for the Scots to vote for the ne thing they crave.

maybe we all need to accept..times, they are a changing

And if I was the Scots, I'd consider pressure from the EU to be a sign that they are very much doing the right thing by seeking independence.

Wow, but *with* Scotland the UK is a superpower that deserves a seat on the UN Security Council, right?

Wow, but *with* Scotland the UK is a superpower that deserves a seat on the UN Security Council, right?

I didn't say that - the reality of GB will become all too apparent once you take away Scotland. It's a huge chunk of real estate, for a start. People who look at the new map will realise the reality pretty quickly.

I didn't say that - the reality of GB will become all too apparent once you take away Scotland. It's a huge chunk of real estate, for a start. People who look at the new map will realise the reality pretty quickly.

Yup Yorkshire will follow if Scotland goes. :lol:

How would we be forced to give up the permanent security council seat? The word "permanent" should be a clue that this would be a bit tricky.

Despite the loss of Scotland, the UK would still be a nuclear power and the world's seventh largest economy. A long way from Latvia.

What will we call the new country?

It will no longer be 'GB'

The semi-united Kingdom?

England and Celtica?

Also, the flag

The dis-union Jack?

I didn't say that - the reality of GB will become all too apparent once you take away Scotland. It's a huge chunk of real estate, for a start.

So is Saudi Arabia. And like Saudi Arabia, most of it is unpopulated and incapable of being populated.

The semi-united Kingdom?

England and Celtica?

Also, the flag

The dis-union Jack?

The Untied Kingdom.

or maybe, Albion.

Even better, Perfidious Albion. Make it official.

It would in fact probably be the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The Untied Kingdom.

or maybe, Albion.

Even better, Perfidious Albion. Make it official.

It would in fact probably be the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Personally I think England would do best if it left the union itself. It could then call itself well, England, and be have done with the rest of it. Most people outside of the UK wouldn't even notice since as far as the rest of the world is concerned the UK is England.

Personally I think England would do best if it left the union itself. It could then call itself well, England, and be have done with the rest of it. Most people outside of the UK wouldn't even notice since as far as the rest of the world is concerned the UK is England.

Or we could call it Eric.

The irony of Scotland leaving a 300 year old union only to seek membership of another is sweet indeed. As a purely politically motivated act, driven by ideologues whose sole aim in life is to fulfill a legacy desire for independence. One wonders how "independent" any nation can be after assimilation into the EU.

I can always remember Normal Tebbit talking about the desire of the EU to carve up the UK into "bite size chunks" - it seems his vision proved correct, even though the EU is playing hard to get. Pantomime indeed.

And if I was the Scots, I'd consider pressure from the EU to be a sign that they are very much doing the right thing by seeking independence.

It is not really "The Scots" that are seeking independence, it is a small vocal group of activists and politicians. Many Scots say they want it, but many more will vote no, however the greatest fear for the EZ Top Boys is that some form of democracy could take hold and spread, hence this clown giving his 2 euros worth.

The semi-united Kingdom?

England and Celtica?

Also, the flag

The dis-union Jack?

fUK - former United Kingdom.