House Price Crash Forum
frederico

People Are Surely Going To Get Angry

Ok, so we've all been very patient, but really its the mainstream opinion that matters.

The government had actually done nothing to sort the housing crisis and has made it worse.

At some point voters must lose patience and demand something is done.

What do you think?

I think at some point we will have a 'that's enough moment, sort the problem properly' moment.

Is it just wishful thinking?

I have to say, this coalition has been the most ineffectual and negative government I can remember.

I am not so sure about that.

After returning to the UK and speaking to the 20 and 30 somethings at my new job, they have no idea! I tend to get the 'saving up for a mortgage' crap, we have been stuck in our flat etc. etc.

In general the sheeple have no idea that they are being gamed by the VI's. They believe that they need to become 'a hard working family' to get a better standard of living.

After returning to the UK and speaking to the 20 and 30 somethings at my new job, they have no idea! I tend to get the 'saving up for a mortgage' crap, we have been stuck in our flat etc. etc.

In general the sheeple have no idea that they are being gamed by the VI's. They believe that they need to become 'a hard working family' to get a better standard of living.

You're the new guy, and the current culture among 20 and 30somethings is that you should always be happy and bubbly and #winningatlife. People who share negative opinions with strangers are seen as a bit mental.

It's a different story among close friends. Among my 30-31 year old friends from school, the awareness and anger have noticeably grown over the last year or two.

Sad and true. A girl in my office in central ,london tells of how she has saved up for 6 years with her boyfriend a 70k deposit, which will in her words buy her nothing in London, so she's going to save some more until she can!

Sad and true. A girl in my office in central ,london tells of how she has saved up for 6 years with her boyfriend a 70k deposit, which will in her words buy her nothing in London, so she's going to save some more until she can!

But they could be mortgage free elsewhere in the UK.

Although I agree with the original poster, I also feel that the second post has got the mood of most people spot-on. There is still a mostly blinkered attitude to the growing housing crisis. From the perspective of the people who matter, the Government are doing a good job. From the perspective of the majority of us, we are continuing to be taken for a ride and, like frogs, being slowly boiled.

But they could be mortgage free elsewhere in the UK.

she wont relocate as they must be in London as thats where all the work is blah blah blah.

I said to her fine save up for a 350k slave box then.

I think there is a generational normalcy bias. So many people see their peers in a similar situation, and their expectations are managed down. So long as they have food, and a roof over their head (even if it is a houseshare in their 30s) they are content.

Plus, we have it banged into our heads 'democracy' is something good, and not one party has a plausible plan to deal with our addiction to debt. While a party with this as a central theme might get a million or two votes from clued up folk, I cant see it ever forming enough to gain a degree of power.

Although I agree with the original poster, I also feel that the second post has got the mood of most people spot-on. There is still a mostly blinkered attitude to the growing housing crisis. From the perspective of the people who matter, the Government are doing a good job. From the perspective of the majority of us, we are continuing to be taken for a ride and, like frogs, being slowly boiled.

This is the British Way...Grin and Bear IT.

I think there is a generational normalcy bias. So many people see their peers in a similar situation, and their expectations are managed down. So long as they have food, and a roof over their head (even if it is a houseshare in their 30s) they are content.

I don't think I know a single person under 35 who is content with their housing situation. They are all making massive compromises on quality, quantity or cost and telling themselves that it's only temporary and things will get better in the future. When in a few years things are not better (and might actually be worse) there are going to be a lot of angry people.

It is mind blowing crookery and lying by our politicians, the young should have lost it by now, having been dumped on by everyone.

There is no comparison to a poor sod now, compared with 35 years ago. People should by now revolting, but they wont because of the Mumsnet / middle class cosiness message given out 24/7. It is beyond belief.

It's only attractive if its expensive. This could be Kirsty's ''forever'' dream house in Hackney for £700,000. Fortunately in Hull they realise what it is and is on for the £70,000.

http://www.rightmove...y-42057325.html

Thats still a lot of money for Hull I'd say.

I'm optimistic that a generation might just wake up one day and wonder why the ****** they are paying £300 k for a slave box and that there is another way and that they have the power to change things.

I'm optimistic that a generation might just wake up one day and wonder why the ****** they are paying £300 k for a slave box and that there is another way and that they have the power to change things.

I'm optimistic that one they'll wake up and found there's been a currency crisis and the BoE have ramped up iRs to defend the pound.

The forced to layoff public service workers in London as its nuts to employ them there.

Yep I was just sticking something in for Sarah Bell's 70k. Could buy this then for 35k and live for a bit on the change....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29372835.html

Adding a nought in London gets you a studio in a building resembling a prison with the ceiling falling in in the kitchen. Nice..........

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42071431.html

Edited by crashmonitor

Me too. Not surprised who posted it up though. And a glance at the studio in Hull doesn't look great value to me. Can buy 2 bed apartment in Salford Quays for £100K with parking.

Meanwhile Bears in Louth, Stoke, Shrewsbury etc are still waiting for the crash and not accepting the current offerings of peak minus 20%. They may not get this low again for some time. Not sure if they should be putting life on hold anymore after a near decade of falling prices.

End of terrace as well, which I've always been put off from since reading this in the thread 'Things To Do When Buying A House'.

In a terrace up to 5 or 6 roofs could be resting on a gable wall and can cause it to bow. Additionally, if other houses in the terrace have been re-roofed since being built they may have had a heavier roof put on than the structure was designed for. The person in the end house(s) gets the damage and the bill......

I'm optimistic that one they'll wake up and found there's been a currency crisis and the BoE have ramped up iRs to defend the pound.

The forced to layoff public service workers in London as its nuts to employ them there.

Meanwhile we have been on the attack by giving the euro, yuan, yen and dollar a good head kicking these past few months. I doubt we want it much higher. Curious how forex likes a bit of debt fuelled HPI.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/pound-rises-2-5-high-072923907.html

the inaction is mind blowing

It's not even inaction, it's worse than that. It's actively propping up house prices for the benefit of the "elite" at the expense of the rest.

The thing is, most of those that want high house prices are just ignorant, they're being screwed over as well and don't realise it.

Edited by Eddie_George

Plus, we have it banged into our heads 'democracy' is something good, and not one party has a plausible plan to deal with our addiction to debt. While a party with this as a central theme might get a million or two votes from clued up folk, I cant see it ever forming enough to gain a degree of power.

To deal with govt debt effectively a large part of the answer can come from leaving the EU. The overall cost to the economy is simply huge. Only one party is for leaving. The rest are fractured.

We need a party brave enough to explain to those 45 + that their unearnt equity, bearing no relations to wage price inflation, is hampering the lives of everyone who can't buy a home - evene their own children and grand children. We need them to accept it would be better that they do not envisage becoming the bank of mum and dad to provide some absurd deposit to buy a small box which should be half the price. No, it would be better if the oldies equity reduced and the young ones could buy on 2.25 x income multiples. It would be better if the B of E were to stop lending phoney money to banks so that they have NO interest in savers deposits. Currently they enjoy the biggest margins in history if they can borrow at 0.5% and lend at 3.5% etc. The normal margin was 1-1.5% for decades. It would be better to put up base rates gradually and control lending properly. Then and only then can a normal property market resume. We could have two tier rates - one for property and one for industry.

But the clowns in govt are intent on pump priming and pretending we have a recovery. Mr Carney said only last week that the recovery was NOT BALANCED AND NOT SUSTAINABLE. Correct!

Think you are going to disappointed. Could be looking at 1.70 GBPUSD in the not too distant future. The markets love Gideonomics.

1502gbpusdmonthly.png

Not surprised who posted it up though.

You obviously have me down as someone trying to ramp the market, which would be curious for someone whose money is mainl;y in cash as opposed to property.

Perhaps the 12 Feb post was a bit ill considered.

And I was not trying to show value in the North but poor value in the south.

Ok, so we've all been very patient, but really its the mainstream opinion that matters.

The government had actually done nothing to sort the housing crisis and has made it worse.

At some point voters must lose patience and demand something is done.

What do you think?

I think at some point we will have a 'that's enough moment, sort the problem properly' moment.

Is it just wishful thinking?

A study I once read suggested people tolerate the worst of things during periods of declining living standards.

That the swell of energy and push for real substantial change from those worst affected comes, not on the way down, not when things haven't just hit bottom. It comes when the first bits of reform for real recovery (or some softening in position from a totalitarian power) from the lowest low comes about and takes hold.

Hopefully something like a minor base rate rise would be enough to trigger it. A mighty flame followeth a tiny spark.

Think you are going to disappointed. Could be looking at 1.70 GBPUSD in the not too distant future. The markets love Gideonomics.

Means nothing. Six months before Greece went titsup its debt was trading at an all-time low.