House Price Crash Forum
doahh

Free Houses To The Homeless Of Utah

Linky

This trend makes Utah’s accomplishment even more noteworthy. In eight years, Utah has quietly reduced homelessness by 78 percent, and is on track to end homelessness by 2015.

How did Utah accomplish this? Simple. Utah solved homelessness by giving people homes. In 2005, Utah figured out that the annual cost of E.R. visits and jail stays for homeless people was about $16,670 per person, compared to $11,000 to provide each homeless person with an apartment and a social worker. So, the state began giving away apartments, with no strings attached. Each participant in Utah’s Housing First program also gets a caseworker to help them become self-sufficient, but they keep the apartment even if they fail. The program has been so successful that other states are hoping to achieve similar results with programs modeled on Utah’s.

I guess they rented the apartment and the state continued to foot the bill if the social worker could not get the person into a position of self-sufficiency. More money for the BLT'ers? It must be time to raise the rents up to $16,670 per year (minus social workers cost).

Edited by doahh

A very nice thing to do, it brings back people from the edges of society into the middle and who knows they might even become middle class.

You have to respect the Government in Utah for such a course of action, pity other areas dont do this.

Linky

I guess they rented the apartment and the state continued to foot the bill if the social worker could not get the person into a position of self-sufficiency. More money for the BLT'ers? It must be time to raise the rents up to $16,670 per year (minus social workers cost).

tons of derelicts in most US states....One could almost say...one homeless person= one empty home.

Linky

It really shows how sick the UK housing market and UK housing availability and provision is, if this can be seen as a reasonable response to this initiative.

A very nice thing to do, it brings back people from the edges of society into the middle and who knows they might even become middle class.

You have to respect the Government in Utah for such a course of action, pity other areas dont do this.

I wonder if it can be attributed to Mormon influence in any way? That would be kind of interesting...

I wonder if it can be attributed to Mormon influence in any way? That would be kind of interesting...

I thought similar. Then I decided I didn't care.

Given that the majority of homeless people will have some mental health conditions and/or alcohol and drug problems, simply providing a roof doesn't 'fix' things but it seem that these issues are being addressed also. Can't explain how impressed I am with Utah's approach. It's so fundamentally the right thing to do. Fairly sure there must be some backlash though as plenty in Utah will be on food stamps having worked, saved etc only to watch others being housed & helped.

In Ireland we destroy surplus housing as it is so much more important to keep prices up than allocate shelter to the thousands of homeless who street sleep.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531852/Exorcising-Irelands-ghost-estates-Demolition-begins-housing-projects-built-economic-boom-left-country-300-000-homes.html

Are we just assuming that rather than fill in forms for housing benefit they are cutting that bit out...

That someone is still actually funding the housing and it isn't a gift.

We have similar sort of scheme here in the form of agricultural subsides that allow at least some people to have a place to call their own..

the only difference is that we are more selective as to who we subsidize- it helps if you are a peer of the realm for example- but we do our bit.

This programme just proves what a high social cost high property prices have. Crime rates and A&E visits by the homeless are a part of a whole complex of issues that would be solved by reasonable property prices.

Well, in a way you're right. Utah is Mormon - but that is another way of saying that Utah has one of the highest white percentages of US states - and that probably is a reason why the project is a success.

Suck in the African-American underclass, and you might find that handing out apartments only led to more and more drug dens...