House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Off The Sauce For A Month

As title.

Only drink 20 odd units a week anyway.

Only noticeable effects sides kidneys? Used to ache a bit sometimes. None of that now.

And can run the 5km 0.2 mph faster but this may be due to training.

Noticeable weight change?

No, surprsing when you think about it

I do watch my weight carefully as I like to run, I find even an extra 1/2 stone has a bad impact on my knees, so I like to keep my weight down so I can run more. At 8.5 stone my weight is pretty much optimsed.

I haven't made any significant diet adjustments afaikt, apart from cutting out the booze of course.

I do watch my weight carefully as I like to run, I find even an extra 1/2 stone has a bad impact on my knees, so I like to keep my weight down so I can run more. At 8.5 stone my weight is pretty much optimsed.

I haven't made any significant diet adjustments afaikt, apart from cutting out the booze of course.

Totally agree, just half a stone has a massive affect. My ideal weight is 14 stone, high end of the BMI normal range but you can tell when running what weight your body's built for. At 14 stone running is easy, add half a stone and it becomes hard work.

I think I'm giving it up for a bit too.

Had a bit to drink last night - really not much - and I have a terrible headache today. Hurts in my cheekbone area too.

Had a bit to drink last night - really not much - and I have a terrible headache today. Hurts in my cheekbone area too.

Go and have a look in the mirror. You may have fell over on the way back from the pub and forgotten about it!!B)

Go and have a look in the mirror. You may have fell over on the way back from the pub and forgotten about it!!B)

Sadly not. It's not a fall injury.

I have found that even two pints of lager/cider/bitter (Have tried them all on different days) can all cause me a headache. Not 100% of the time. Believe me I have been doing weekly checks.

It's right in my cheek bone at the moment, so possibly sinus related I spose. But triggered by booze?

Sadly not. It's not a fall injury.

I have found that even two pints of lager/cider/bitter (Have tried them all on different days) can all cause me a headache. Not 100% of the time. Believe me I have been doing weekly checks.

It's right in my cheek bone at the moment, so possibly sinus related I spose. But triggered by booze?

I find similar. Only a few pints gives me a stonking hangover, whereas back in the back I could drink a shedload and be fine.

I think there are two factors, age and tolerance. In general when you are young you can overload your system with any old crap and you will be fine, but as you get older this is no longer true.

People who booze a lot though to me seem to have this problem negated by massive consumption and the body building up tolerance. So boozers seem to go into one of two pretty polarised camps as they get older, people who booze all the time and people who hardly do it at all, or are teetotal.

Or at least this is my experience. I find that friends I had before I have very little in common with now, as all as they seem to want to do is go to the pub and pour massive quantities of drink down their necks. Expensive and unhealthy.

I find similar. Only a few pints gives me a stonking hangover, whereas back in the back I could drink a shedload and be fine.

Or at least this is my experience. I find that friends I had before I have very little in common with now, as all as they seem to want to do is go to the pub and pour massive quantities of drink down their necks. Expensive and unhealthy.

I know a lot of people who seem to drink all week. And lots when they do!

It was baileys last night. Proper stuff. Not knockoff cheapy stuff. Probably not even a small wine glass full.

It might be coincidence that I get these headaches when I drink but I suspect not.

I get absolutely stonking hangovers if I try it with dry cider, such that it must be four years or so since I drank it. I like it, used to drink it quite happily when I fancied it, but now it feels like I've been run over the next morning if I try drinking four or more pints of it. I'm guessing it's the sulphites in it but don't really know.

I can drink (and do quite like) the weaker sweeter ciders like Woodpecker with no ill effects so it's not cider as such.

Baffled but I don't think I'll trouble my GP with it.

Based on a BMI of 22, that puts your height at 5' 2". Hmm, I was guessing it was going to be about 4'.

Based on a BMI of 22, that puts your height at 5' 2". Hmm, I was guessing it was going to be about 4'.

5 foot 5.

BMIs don't work so well in my mind. There is such a huge variety of body shapes and sizes. I know people who are 5-5 who would be seriously skeletal at my weight. Similarly I bet there are some pro sportsmen who are my height and 1.5x the weight without carrying an ounce of fat. People are just too variable to be catagorised by something as coarse as BMI. Basically, if you need a chart to tell yourself whether you are overweight or not then you've got some problems.

Edit : I see retro. that Frank and me pretty much share the same opinion.

5 foot 5.

BMIs don't work so well in my mind. There is such a huge variety of body shapes and sizes. I know people who are 5-5 who would be seriously skeletal at my weight. Similarly I bet there are some pro sportsmen who are my height and 1.5x the weight without carrying an ounce of fat. People are just too variable to be catagorised by something as coarse as BMI. Basically, if you need a chart to tell yourself whether you are overweight or not then you've got some problems.

Edit : I see retro. that Frank and me pretty much share the same opinion.

I understand the distrust in BMI. It was just the 8.5 stone that, to me, sounded incredibly low (you must be very slight). I was trying to justify it via BMI and it didn't sound so unreasonable.

I think there are two factors, age and tolerance. In general when you are young you can overload your system with any old crap and you will be fine, but as you get older this is no longer true.

Spot on. Just accept it.

The last time someone posted a not drinking for a month post; didn’t someone start a drink every day for a month counter post?

If so, where is the new counter post.

Or did the other guys liver fall off.

The last time someone posted a not drinking for a month post; didn’t someone start a drink every day for a month counter post?

I had a shandy a week ago and a bottle of homebrew last night. Liver function appears unharmed.

I don't intend to drink everyday any more than these pussies claim to be giving up completely.

I have a bridge on the lower left hand side of my mouth half way back which straddles a gap. When I drink, and only then, that sometimes aches.

I assume it's the sugars getting underneath said bridge.

I only tend to get headaches if I drink Stella Artois or, in conjunction with the drinking, stay up later than I should throwing my body-clock out.

They start at about 1pm and if I don't have Ibuprofen they can get very severe.

Also off the sauce for a while, and also suffered some horrible hangovers recently. Still not sure exactly what kicked them off considering I hadn't drunk any more than usual. Drinking while tense or uneasy sometimes doesn't go down well though, and may have been the cue. Personally I get in real trouble when a migraine combines with a hangover.... you just want to die :lol:

I'm on the wagon because it's one of those times in life when sickness is not an option... too much to do right now. I've just recovered from a jaw infection following powerful anti-biotics, and I can't risk my health in any way. Some might say it wouldn't make any difference but after my last boozy evening my jaw started to ache again.

Speaking of age and tolerance, I've noticed alcohol can take your energy away dramatically. Junk food also has the same effect to a lesser degree. Most likely both are linked to acid reflux (in my case). But one thing's for sure, it demonstrates how important diet really is to the human body.

I could fill that vacancy!!

Shame I've got to pick the missus up tonight, might have a cheeky few lagers circa 9.45pm.

Those of you who suffer more with alcohol consumption than you used to may also (as well as getting older) have FUd your liver by another means so that it doesn't deal with it as well as before.

This is certainly my case, I have the traces of a past hepatitis A infection still present in blood tests and am much less clear-headed the next day after even a medium quantity of alcohol now (like half a bottle of wine, which for a fit strong 85kg man should be nothing). I would definitely be better off health-wise going teetotal, but can't face that yet.

Normally when you try to do this one of the boozers tries to stop the plan.

So I hatched the cunning plan of only announcing it after the event and not before.

Although if the boozers feel cheated I still haven't had a beer, so feel free to bombard me with attempts to make me restart.