Patfig

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Isnt that what insurance is for?

But these are poor home owners that we are talking about. They don't have two beans to rub together, apart from the equity in their homes! But that's not real money unless they need a new car or a holiday. Money is no object to save these poor people from the realities of the real world outside HPI.

Seriously though, I do feel a bit sorry for anyone who has to go though this flooding. This £5000 handout is ridiculous and unnecessary, due to insurance, but pretty small beer.

HOLA447

But these are poor home owners that we are talking about. They don't have two beans to rub together, apart from the equity in their homes! But that's not real money unless they need a new car or a holiday. Money is no object to save these poor people from the realities of the real world outside HPI.

Seriously though, I do feel a bit sorry for anyone who has to go though this flooding. This £5000 handout is ridiculous and unnecessary, due to insurance, but pretty small beer.

This means a guaranteed excess for flood damage of £5000 will be the norm in future.

HOLA448
HOLA449

This is merely electioneering. As already mentioned, this is what insurance is for. So what will happen is flood victims will claim against their insurance and use the £5000 for a new car or foreign holiday.

Grants of up to £5,000 to pay for future flood protection

There will be "no penny pinching" when it comes to funding flood relief efforts, David Cameron has said as he announced extra financial help. Homeowners and businesses will get grants of up to £5,000 to pay for future flood protection, he told MPs.

The prime minister has said "money would be no object" in the response.

But Labour leader Ed Miliband said he had doubts about this "grand promise" of assistance and said those still at risk needed a "speedier response".

Speaking at Prime Minister's Questions, Mr Cameron said the government would "spend whatever is necessary" on immediate support for flood-affected communities, including providing sandbags, pumping equipment and military assistance where requested.

But will the government be shelling out every year if this weather continues , which the Met Office seems to be implying could happen?

There were these reports earlier this week about how many homes will not be covered by insurance at all, so what do they get?

Homeowners will not be covered by flood insurance scheme

BPF and CML warn unexpected exclusions

I was watching a program the other night with Jeremy Paxman filmed from a village somewhere along the Thames I think, and someone said about Somerset and the people there were happy for the government to buy their homes at market value as this was the 2nd year being flooded. I did a search online to see if I could see anything about that, but that is not likely is it?

We will have the government buying all the BTL properties not covered by insurance (see links) in order to keep house prices up soon!

People have known for a long long time that insurance was not going to continue to cover flooded areas.

The environment agency have had flood maps available for every post code for a long long time.

They have been speaking about creating two inland seas in Somerset for a while now as sea defenses will not be viable for much longer.

Villages on the Wales coast in the next decades are designated for managed retreat as coastal defenses again are no longer viable.

To me this all feels a bit like house prices, the ELEPHANT nobody is allowed to speak about.

But climate warming is happening.

Flooding is happening.

Yet so is building on flood plain.

If the UK needs how many new homes in the next decade, but then nobody wants to live in the areas prone to flooding, so all those people need housing too, I guess we will see more and more greenbelt taken over by crappy modern housing estates .

HOLA4410

Just watching QT and if true this has slipped me by.

The flooded folks in the South East are all going to get £5K compensation, does anyone know if this is true?

If so I am enraged

Old report but this is I assume what this is based on (see my other post above)

Flood Insurance

The government has come in for heavy criticism from the Liberal Democrats over its funding of flood defences. Yesterday the government revealed its plans to contribute at least 5 million to a scheme supporting households at high risk of flooding but not protected by traditional community level defences. The Liberal Democrats’ shadow environment secretary Steve Webb described the funding as laughably inadequate.

Mr Webb estimated it would cost 5,000 to protect a typical semi-detached house from flooding, which meant that the 5 million figure mentioned by the Government would cover just 1,000 properties. The Government also announced it had earmarked 133 million to help communities put flood defence plans in place. But Mr Webb said that almost half of the 400,000 properties at risk of flooding would not be covered.

The funding comes in addition to the help already given by local authorities, the insurance industry and individual householders.

Announcing the funding levels, Environment Minister Phil Woolas said that traditional community level defences, such as sea walls, were not able to protect against flooding in all areas. He said the government was determined to help people take small practical steps to protect their homes, which in the long term could have a substantial impact on their property’s resilience to flooding.

Fitting door-boards, water-proofing walls and floors, and raising electrics could all help reduce the damage caused by flooding. Mr Woolas said research showed that such measures could reduce the financial costs of flooding by 50-80%. He also said implementing changes at an individual level could half the amount of time it takes to dry out and repair a property, as well as reducing the stress and trauma suffered by homeowners.

etc etc

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

So does anyone know where the government and insurers are with Flood Re?

The ABI only agreed to extend the “statement of principles” governing the insurance industry until July 2013 didn't they?

Read this in January :

At present Flood Re is a moving feast and at the time of writing rumours are emerging that a planned roll-out in the summer of next year will now be delayed until 2016.

So what is happening to high risk properties since July 2013 and Flood Re is finalized?

HOLA4413

It was a bit more measured when it was pointed out that people whose earnings are dependent upon the weather so haven't been able to work (fishermen, window cleaners, builders) would be given time to pay their tax bills.

Appropriate response IMO, you don't make somebody go bust but equally you don't start throwing huge bundles of cash at them.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

If you buy a house next to the river, or on a flood plain, the price should reflect this. If this is a once in blue moon occurrence, like it is in some areas, then you should put it down to bad luck.

In either case you should have contents insurance.

Tories bailing out the feckless voters yet again.

As Freetrader's thread superbly points out people are asking £500k plus for houses that might not be there in ten years. Not that anybody's necessarily paying it of course.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=194543&st=0

HOLA4418

I think it's already been made pretty clear that money is no object when it comes to securing re-election. :o :angry:

No brainer for the Tories. Most of the houses flooded along the rivers will be Tory voters in Tory consituencies.

Pretty similar job to Labour stuffing the PS with loads of non jobs and upping those on benefits really.

Tories are not having it all their own way though. Kippers are applying some pressure with their foreign aid mumblings.

For me its a tough one. I suppose if the government doesn't exist to provide infrastructure and help you out when there is an emergency, what the hell do you actually pay your taxes for ?

HOLA4419

No brainer for the Tories. Most of the houses flooded along the rivers will be Tory voters in Tory consituencies.

Pretty similar job to Labour stuffing the PS with loads of non jobs and upping those on benefits really.

Tories are not having it all their own way though. Kippers are applying some pressure with their foreign aid mumblings.

For me its a tough one. I suppose if the government doesn't exist to provide infrastructure and help you out when there is an emergency, what the hell do you actually pay your taxes for ?

If only LibLabCon would see it like that, they just think the tax revenue arrives by magic and it's their special pocket money to dole out.

HOLA4420

Two water companies have said to market no financial impact on them.

I suppose they can manage excess water by dumping it into the system rather than ending up with an oversupply of water. is the cost of actual fresh water just cost of treatment and the use of the pipes?

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA4421

I think it's already been made pretty clear that money is no object when it comes to securing re-election. :o :angry:

There will be grants but they will be to put in defences to prevent future flooding at your home. Like air vent blockers and those water proof things to go across doors.

Probably a good start up business to get into - flood prevention treatments for houses.

People will have to claim on their insurance still for the damage caused this time. It is not for that.

HOLA4422

There will be grants but they will be to put in defences to prevent future flooding at your home. Like air vent blockers and those water proof things to go across doors.

Probably a good start up business to get into - flood prevention treatments for houses.

People will have to claim on their insurance still for the damage caused this time. It is not for that.

It's like the energy efficiency grants (boilers, insulation) that were announced at the autumn statement. Free (taxpayer's) money for the chosen industries.

HOLA4423

It's like the energy efficiency grants (boilers, insulation) that were announced at the autumn statement. Free (taxpayer's) money for the chosen industries.

Indeed. That's got its whole huge industry. Although when they change the goal posts on things people get a bit shafted .. HIPS, Green deal has buggered up insulation companies work, etc.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425