House Price Crash Forum

Mexican State Bans Outlandish Baby Names

1929crash

HOLA441
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/13/scrotum-hitler-facebook-sonora-mexico-bans-outlandish-baby-names/

What’s in a name? In northwestern Mexico, officials say potentially a lifetime of bullying, so parents in the state of Sonora can no longer opt to name their children Scrotum, Terminator, USNAVY or Facebook.

The 61 banned names include technology-inspired monikers like Twitter and Yahoo, fictional characters Harry Potter, James Bond and Rambo and surgical terms like Circumcision.

Children will also be spared being dubbed Virgin, Hitler, Email, Burger King, Christmas Day, Robocop and Rolling Stone.

“It’s about protecting children,” said Cristina Ramirez, the director of Sonora’s Civil Registry. “We want to make sure children’s names don’t get them bullied in school.”

Ramirez anticipates the list will expand in future as officials discover more objectionable names.

Isn't it time to do the same in Britain? With extra severe penalties for celebs caught breaking any such ban.

HOLA442
HOLA443

It's not a bad idea at all. I can testify names can have a real impact in school. My parents gave me a fairly inoffensive name, but it was enough to allow constant taunts that lasted a good few years. Anything that sets you apart from others can make you a target. I wasn't a violent type, but it got so bad I offered to knock seven bells out of several smart ass peers.... several times!

Celebs seem particularly guilty in this area. Whether it's Jackson calling his kid Blanket or even Bowie calling his son Zowie. They always change their names later on.

Not good.

HOLA444

The ones that I like are 'Praisegod' Barebones, younger brother of 'FearGod' Barebones,who named his son,

Nicholas If-Jesus-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone.

Praisegod formed the head of the Barebones Parliament after the dissolution of the Rump Parliament.

HOLA445
HOLA446

It's not a bad idea at all. I can testify names can have a real impact in school. My parents gave me a fairly inoffensive name, but it was enough to allow constant taunts that lasted a good few years. Anything that sets you apart from others can make you a target. I wasn't a violent type, but it got so bad I offered to knock seven bells out of several smart ass peers.... several times!

Celebs seem particularly guilty in this area. Whether it's Jackson calling his kid Blanket or even Bowie calling his son Zowie. They always change their names later on.

Not good.

Depends when you were born! When I was at school every other bloke was a Wiglaf, or Aethalstan. I don't think Cuthbert is currently popular! :huh:

HOLA447
HOLA448

One of my neighbours wanted the email address BabyJesus@gmail.com

There's an effing great Mercedes with various bits of bling bodykit that drives around these parts with the vanity plate IMJESUS. I'm surprised that the DMV allowed that one: last year some Hollywood type with more money than sense challenged their decision in court to refuse to issue FÜCKYOU (without the umlaut, obviously) on freedom of speech grounds, and lost. If the DMV has a policy of refusing some vanity registrations on the grounds that they might offend some people, I'm a bit surprised that they allowed one but not the other.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The law against naming your child after Hitler is not entirely without justification.

Oh jeeze, why did you dredge that article up? Makes my eyes glaze over and brain crash (like the exploits of Mick Philpot and that baby raping Welsh musician). And besides parents who give their children inappropriate and stupid names come across as egotists, who don't put much thought about the welfare of their children.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

There's an effing great Mercedes with various bits of bling bodykit that drives around these parts with the vanity plate IMJESUS. I'm surprised that the DMV allowed that one: last year some Hollywood type with more money than sense challenged their decision in court to refuse to issue FÜCKYOU (without the umlaut, obviously) on freedom of speech grounds, and lost. If the DMV has a policy of refusing some vanity registrations on the grounds that they might offend some people, I'm a bit surprised that they allowed one but not the other.

It's a very common name amongst Hispanic Americans IIRC, not as odd as it would sound here

HOLA4417

It's a very common name amongst Hispanic Americans IIRC, not as odd as it would sound here

:blink:

In my school, It was BLASPHEMY to have a name like Jesus, or Mercedes! Luckily I was not in Spain!

HOLA4418

I have met a Paul Pott

One of the 'winners' of Britain's Got Talent (or one of those Simon Cowell based travesties) was a singer called 'Paul Potts' . I'm sure he was too young in the 1970s to be a dictator.

A few years ago I worked on a supermarket checkout. Served one young lady who called her son 'Kanye'. How Gangsta! :lol:

Like that Channel 4 programme about getting tattoos you later regret, I wonder if the same applies to these impulsive parents.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Archived