House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Council Spends £40K Building A Wheelchair Ramp For Council House

Jesus. What the hell? :o:blink::lol:

But it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good, as the saying goes:

The winding 60-metre path is proving a long way round for Ms Lally and Katie and is now being used by local skateboarders

The Daily Mail (Daily Mail and General Trust) is a major global media force these days. A good few comments are from the USA. Notice how this headline says;

Is this the world's most absurd wheelchair ramp? Scottish family stunned after council builds $70,000 eyesore up TEN LEVELS over their garden

Seventy thousand dollars.

£10.51 a share.

Surely there must have been a cheaper solution than this. A stairlift powered by solar charging a battery probably would've been cheaper or couldn't they have just dug a ramp in there.

The local cow here basically ignores everything you ask of it but they have no contractual duty to do anything, its more akin to mafia protection money they receive.

Sorry but what would have been wrong with a winding path with two or three bends in it across the front garden.

What they have done is insanity, it must be out of pure spite.

If I was the family, I would move.

Sorry but what would have been wrong with a winding path with two or three bends in it across the front garden.

What they have done is insanity, it must be out of pure spite.

If I was the family, I would move.

There are strict regulations about whether a path is suitable for wheelchairs. It has to have a maximum inclination, must have a solid raised edge, and hand rails. It must have a rough, solid surface, etc.

Looking at the height of the house above the road, a path with 10 hairpins is the only way to meet the inclination specifications. You couldn't just put a path in the garden due to the amount of landscaping involved. Even if you did put a path in, it would need kickplates and handrails - making the path out of tarmac, and using brick kickplates and handrails would be a heck of a lot more expensive, and not a lot more aesthetic.

INSANITY.

Do they do these retarded things on purpose? just to wind us up?

It would've been cheaper to build a simple bungalow on a level bit of land FFS! - then you would've had a bungalow AND a council house and wouldn't have needed the sodding great ramp at all.

Like someone said - looks like spite 'cos they had the cheek to kick up a stink about it.

I wonder how much of our money is wasted on these crazy schemes - must be billions every year.

pathetic.