House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Schadenfreude - The Other Way Round.

Was driving to work this morning listening to talk sport. It's easy listening and it's not the BBc!!!

Alan Brazil is a bit of a property bear and sometimes comes out with the you can't loose on housing mantra of his generation, but apart from that it's easy listening.

They read the news headlines every morning and today the last one they read was about the interest rates staying low.

Mr Brazil and his co-commentator both came out and said what great news it was since they had mortgages....the lady reading the news says something like "but savers will be hammered" ( or words to that effect ) and Mr Brazil and his co-commentator started chuckling and laughing saying how great it was for them. The other bloke even said I dont have savings only a big mortgage and laughed some more.

I'm not sure if you can get it on a pod-cast so someone can confirm what I heard.

I couldn't believe their callousness and disrespect for a whole block of the population that have worked for and been taxed heavily on their money. This shows the other chap who was asking if it was okay for feel Schadenfreude for the property owning rich who are being flooded right now...well, this answers that question for me.

I've deleted their channel off the radio.

I had too chuckle too though.....a mortgage at their age...MUGS....that's real Schadenfreude.

I couldn't believe their callousness and disrespect for a whole block of the population

I do .......see it on here regularly

I do .......see it on here regularly

What, you are comparing laughing at some idiot that's taken on massive unaffordable debt through their own free choice to laughing at people who go to work, save some pennies, dont rely on the state pay tax on their earnings and savigns then have it forcefully devalued/taken off them ?

You are an estate agent and I claim my free house, or maybe you are just stoopid.

On Radio 2 yesterday the news presenter received a report from a journalist who had been at the Carney speech. The journalist was a grating woman with a cut-glass accent who sounded like she'd had a few drinks between the press conference and her appearance on the radio.

She sneered at Carney, making a juvenile joke about his name, but loved the news on rates. She all but applauded the news that we were having the 'wrong sort of recovery' as apparently in her world any recovery is better than no recovery. It wasn't born of ignorance either as she talked about the fact that the recovery is based upon the expansion of private debt, particularly among the young, and she saw absolutely nothing wrong with this. She said something like:

My sister has just got a new job, and I asked her what she would use her first pay check for. And my sister told me, oh darling, that's already been spent! People have far more personal debt than they used to. Young people have got used to living their lives in massive debt, it's all totally normal now.

I had to restrain myself from throwing the radio across the room.

How you can sit and laugh as people are sold down the river - your own family! It's incomprehensible.

TalkSport = Builders' Radio channel. It's just the equivalent of The Sun. All their ads are for supplies for white van man. Pure mainstream and mainly fronted by ex-footballers so all late 30s-late 50s and therefore probably heavily invested in property. It used to be that ex footballers would buy a pub or sports shop (or hit the bottle), now they "get into property".

Must admit I like to put it on occasionally when want something shallow and blokey.

Edited by mikthe20

Alan Brazil and guests OKish.

Colin Murray OK.

Hawksbee and Jacobs. Excellent. Esp Hawksbee.

Durham and Whoever. OKish. Bit bland.

Saggers and Collymore. Completely unlistenable horseshit.

Goldstein and Cundy. Quite good in bits.

A lot of their trailers are quite funny too.

But they also carry lots of ads for Galliard Slavebox Inc.

Only based on casual listening in the car when i cant take the BBC anymore.

Edited by shindigger

What, you are comparing laughing at some idiot that's taken on massive unaffordable debt through their own free choice to laughing at people who go to work, save some pennies, dont rely on the state pay tax on their earnings and savigns then have it forcefully devalued/taken off them ?

Well, in fairness, from that description I know which one is more comical...

On Radio 2 yesterday the news presenter received a report from a journalist who had been at the Carney speech. The journalist was a grating woman with a cut-glass accent who sounded like she'd had a few drinks between the press conference and her appearance on the radio.

She sneered at Carney, making a juvenile joke about his name, but loved the news on rates. She all but applauded the news that we were having the 'wrong sort of recovery' as apparently in her world any recovery is better than no recovery. It wasn't born of ignorance either as she talked about the fact that the recovery is based upon the expansion of private debt, particularly among the young, and she saw absolutely nothing wrong with this. She said something like:

My sister has just got a new job, and I asked her what she would use her first pay check for. And my sister told me, oh darling, that's already been spent! People have far more personal debt than they used to. Young people have got used to living their lives in massive debt, it's all totally normal now.

How you can sit and laugh as people are sold down the river - your own family! It's incomprehensible.

doop.

Edited by Bloo Loo

restrain yourself...you should have been sagely nodding in agreement, then proceeding to the hall, standing in the hall on a tiny stool with your head in the noose you had prepared earlier, having maxed out your cards and income for the last 15 years and now awaiting the bill for the water biscuit you ordered on line

You are an estate agent and I claim my free house, or maybe you are just stoopid.

My thoughts.

We have a debt based money system. To say that debt is bad savings good is just rubbish they are different sides of the same coin. Same as it would be mad to say consumption bad production good some one has to buy the stuff we produce. different sides of the same coin again.

In a perfect financial life. If you plotted the amount of debt or saving you had on a graph over your life time. then shaded the area below zero red and the area above zero black the two areas should be the same size.

It's not a question of one's right and one's wrong. It's a question of balance.

Edited by gf3

In the OP the radio people are no different than from the people who desperately want to see the economy crash and burn so that they can profit....at the expense of others .....

Its a bit more vicious than Schadenfreude

In the OP the radio people are no different than from the people who desperately want to see the economy crash and burn so that they can profit....at the expense of others .....

Agreed

My thoughts.

We have a debt based money system. To say that debt is bad savings good is just rubbish they are different sides of the same coin. Same as it would be mad to say consumption bad production good some one has to buy the stuff we produce. different sides of the same coin again.

In a perfect financial life. If you plotted the amount of debt or saving you had on a graph over your life time. then shaded the area below zero red and the area above zero black the two areas should be the same size.

not so...savings ( capital) and other financial assets are hypothecated regularly and fractionated to shit. thus, the debt, whilst it may equal the total of assets on the other side, remains in volume whatever the valuation falls on the asset side..

Hence, QE to maintain asset prices....more free debt for the same existing assets.

Alan Brazil and guests OKish.

Colin Murray OK.

Hawksbee and Jacobs. Excellent. Esp Hawksbee.

Durham and Whoever. OKish. Bit bland.

Saggers and Collymore. Completely unlistenable horseshit.

Goldstein and Cundy. Quite good in bits.

A lot of their trailers are quite funny too.

But they also carry lots of ads for Galliard Slavebox Inc.

Only based on casual listening in the car when i cant take the BBC anymore.

Mike Graham is vg

Was driving to work this morning listening to talk sport. It's easy listening and it's not the BBc!!!

Alan Brazil is a bit of a property bear and sometimes comes out with the you can't loose on housing mantra of his generation, but apart from that it's easy listening.

They read the news headlines every morning and today the last one they read was about the interest rates staying low.

Mr Brazil and his co-commentator both came out and said what great news it was since they had mortgages....the lady reading the news says something like "but savers will be hammered" ( or words to that effect ) and Mr Brazil and his co-commentator started chuckling and laughing saying how great it was for them. The other bloke even said I dont have savings only a big mortgage and laughed some more.

I'm not sure if you can get it on a pod-cast so someone can confirm what I heard.

I couldn't believe their callousness and disrespect for a whole block of the population that have worked for and been taxed heavily on their money. This shows the other chap who was asking if it was okay for feel Schadenfreude for the property owning rich who are being flooded right now...well, this answers that question for me.

I've deleted their channel off the radio.

I had too chuckle too though.....a mortgage at their age...MUGS....that's real Schadenfreude.

I have a mortgage and I feel sorry for savers without no house. I find it hard to feel sorry for boomers who have lots of money and a paid off house, they like high house prices and don't care about others.

I don't wish we had HPC I wish prices hadn't gone crazy in the last 14 years.

Edited by iamnumerate

I don't wish we had HPC I wish prices hadn't gone crazy in the last 14 years.

Why not? I mean, given the latter did happen, why don't you want the former? Genuinely curious - there are "good" and "bad" reasons why you might hold such a view.

not so...savings ( capital) and other financial assets are hypothecated regularly and fractionated to shit. thus, the debt, whilst it may equal the total of assets on the other side, remains in volume whatever the valuation falls on the asset side..

Hence, QE to maintain asset prices....more free debt for the same existing assets.

Sorry read that three times and it still went over my head.

Sorry read that three times and it still went over my head.

It would for any MMT follower who believes a debt is equal to deposits. No-one would go bust if it were so.

Name names and we'll sort them out !!!

no one wants to see the economy crash and burn....what we want is a return to a sustainable economy with decent jobs and a future for our chuildren.

What we have is a debt based ponzi on a monumental scale...everyone wants to see that nonsense end.

It'll be no coincidence or not by chance that they're pushing property and mortgage debt etc on sport programmes on the radio even on a pretend informal basis. It's just something that people have to expect when listening to any mainstream media outlet these days. The VI is pushed at every opportunity hoping that people are taken in by it.

It's a bit of an irritant sometimes but it's no more than that.

It's a bit like when they talk about they're going to be eating their pies at half time - which clubs have the best pies. Nobody is much interested in that but it doesn't stop them. It wouldn't be so bad if the programme and the commentaries were that good but they're not not that good and no better for including stuff that's not relevant to the sport.

If you listen enough (and there's not that much choice on UK radio if you are interested in sport) the constant VI is clear and that includes the VI on the various sports.

Edited by billybong