House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

Eu To Approve New Gm Crop, Ignoring Majority Members’ Opposition

The European Commission is set to authorize the growing of genetically modified maize on European soil, despite 19 member states voting against the move, highlighting the “absurd” rules of weighted votes in the EU.

In a debate on Tuesday, 19 EU member states indicated that they would vote against the authorization of genetically modified maize because of health and environmental concerns and opposition in the European Parliament.

But because of the so-called comitology rules of the EU, their votes will be insufficient to overturn the decision of bigger member states that support the introduction of insect resistant Pioneer 1507.

The UK and Spain are both in favor of GM crops, while Germany abstained and France is staunchly against their introduction.

So the only democratically elected body of the EU, the parliament, is opposing this, but the completely undemocratic Commission will approve it anyway. What a sham...

Also I very much doubt that the citizens of the UK and Spain are in favour of this, it's the pro big-business LibCon government that favours this, almost certainly at the request of the corporations involved.

France however warned that if the European Commission goes ahead with the introduction of GM maize, then it risks fuelling further euroscepticism by granting approval in the face of fierce opposition.

“We have a majority against it, so I don’t understand how we can approve this. Even more so ahead of EU elections. This is dangerous to the image of the EU institutions, it will fuel the idea that Europe doesn’t work or works badly,” said Thierry Repentin, the French EU affairs minister.

While Thierry’s Italian colleague called the outcome “indigestible” and his Hungarian counterpart a showcase of the “European absurd”.

For once France is spot on.

The environmental groups Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth have said that Pioneer 1507 harms moths and butterflies and is designed to be resistant to a kind of weed killer that is about to be phased out in any case over safety concerns.

This is getting better and better, not only is the GM Maize dangerous, but the weed killer it's designed to work with is about to be phased out over safety concerns! <_<

But I'm sure fluffy666 and Kurt Barlow will soon turn up to tell us how great GM Maize is for us and how survival of the human species depends on it... :rolleyes:

Full article here:

http://rt.com/news/eu-approve-gm-crop-608/

How is the GM maize dangerous?

I think in this case it's the specific purpose of the genetic modification - that this variety of maize has been designed to produce its own pesticide toxin and allow greater use of herbicides because it's resistant to them - that is being contended as unsafe, rather than the fact of genetic modification itself.

How is the GM maize dangerous?

cos it is....its designed to kill bugs that eat it...and I for one, dont want to be eating bug poison..saying that, I have passed a Kidney stone, a 10 year resident salivary gland stone and a bloodshot eye has cleared up, as well as pretty good weightloss by dropping wheat, processed sugars and rice from my diet for the last 3 weeks.

I think wheat contains a poison by default.

cos it is....its designed to kill bugs that eat it...and I for one, dont want to be eating bug poison..saying that, I have passed a Kidney stone, a 10 year resident salivary gland stone and a bloodshot eye has cleared up, as well as pretty good weightloss by dropping wheat, processed sugars and rice from my diet for the last 3 weeks.

Gluten? You might find older varieties less antagonistic to your system.

Gluten? You might find older varieties less antagonistic to your system.

I dunno, i used to have IBS with some brands of packaged bread...and if I eat 10 slices of home made, I am up in the night...one or two and its fine.

The trouble with bread, is that it can be the most delicious food on the planet, but even if I have just one slice twice a day, I can cut calories to around 1000 but still put on weight.

I dont think modern wheat is that great having read a few articles...

Anyway, having dropped wheat, sugar and rice for the last 3 weeks and I really do feel better. The problem is just how do you replace a yummy sandwich, a dipper for soup or just plain egg on toast?

So the only democratically elected body of the EU, the parliament, is opposing this, but the completely undemocratic Commission will approve it anyway. What a sham...

Also I very much doubt that the citizens of the UK and Spain are in favour of this, it's the pro big-business LibCon government that favours this, almost certainly at the request of the corporations involved.

For once France is spot on.

This is getting better and better, not only is the GM Maize dangerous, but the weed killer it's designed to work with is about to be phased out over safety concerns! <_<

But I'm sure fluffy666 and Kurt Barlow will soon turn up to tell us how great GM Maize is for us and how survival of the human species depends on it... :rolleyes:

Full article here:

http://rt.com/news/eu-approve-gm-crop-608/

got to hand it to the french spokesman..hit the nail on the head completely.

the EU IS an institution that doesn't work,rides roughshod over the opinions of it's citizens,and what it does,it does badly.

very perceptive

I dunno, i used to have IBS with some brands of packaged bread...and if I eat 10 slices of home made, I am up in the night...one or two and its fine.

The trouble with bread, is that it can be the most delicious food on the planet, but even if I have just one slice twice a day, I can cut calories to around 1000 but still put on weight.

Anyway, having dropped wheat, sugar and rice for the last 3 weeks and I really do feel better. The problem is just how do you replace a yummy sandwich, a dipper for soup or just plain egg on toast?

...if you want to reduce your refined wheat intake and still have something quite yummy try swedish knackebrod!.

(I guess like you I went through a few experiences with Mcdonalds buns from their burgers that gave me the "McTummy"..complete with stomach cramps and some rather powerful motions down below.

anyway, knackebrod it my substitute for fast food now...and no nasty after effects.

sort of like rye crispbread and it's really tasty.

great with garlic /chive dip!

(not tried using them as "soldiers" with dippy egg yet, but I think it might work!)

Quite a lot of plants do that anyway, off their own bat - oxalic acid, nicotine, no doubt loads of others

You mentioning stones reminds me specifically of oxalic acid which occurs in all sorts of leafy greens which are often classed as doubleplusgood by low carb dieters. I grow and eat a fair bit of stuff like spinach but I generally cook it and ditch the water. I remember the pain my dad had with stones and I'd like to try and skip that life experience tvm.

I'm not sure you can cook the (alleged) appetite enhancing, blood sugar screwing, tummy turning nasties out of wheat though.

Experimenting with flour from other grains or lower gluten varieties in your home made bread might be worth considering if you're missing it. Sometimes you find it actually tastes better that way too, I remember having some especially tasty bread in Crete and when I asked it turned out it was predominantly made with barley rather wheat. Failing that I highly recommend grilled asparagus for dipping in soft-boiled eggs as pretty damn good too.

Experimenting with flour from other grains or lower gluten varieties in your home made bread might be worth considering if you're missing it. Sometimes you find it actually tastes better that way too, I remember having some especially tasty bread in Crete and when I asked it turned out it was predominantly made with barley rather wheat. Failing that I highly recommend grilled asparagus for dipping in soft-boiled eggs as pretty damn good too.

Im sort of Paleo/juice at the moment...I do cheat a bit but who doesnt....had a couple of those chocolate rocky roads this evening that Sainsburys do....felt my face sort of feel bloated about 10 minutes later...I guess thats the sugar rush.

I gather eating Fructose doesnt spike like glucose does....

Im sort of Paleo/juice at the moment...I do cheat a bit but who doesnt....had a couple of those chocolate rocky roads this evening that Sainsburys do....felt my face sort of feel bloated about 10 minutes later...I guess thats the sugar rush.

I gather eating Fructose doesnt spike like glucose does....

If it felt kind of puffy then could be mild dehydration, digesting food does require quite a bit of water and I'd guess that could be exacerbated if you've just eaten something that doesn't generally agree with you.

Paleolithic diets would most likely include wild rice and grains, so that's probably allowed? Wild rice has quite a pleasant taste, more vegetative than modern rice, but it's annoyingly expensive in comparison as it's a fairly niche product. Not sure about the fructose/glucose thing, an excess of either is probably bad, but the fructose does at least tend to come with some handy nutrients as well!

The ailments on here!

If it’s of any interest to anybody I’ve recently purchased a juicer and didn’t want to lob away all the pulp fibres etc. so also got a dehydrator for wet pulp and then there’s various uses for it, one being whacking in homemade bread (only made one so far though, a beetroot, carrot and ginger bread! There’s an orange, mango and kiwi one ready to go this weekend!)

The ailments on here!

If it's of any interest to anybody I've recently purchased a juicer and didn't want to lob away all the pulp fibres etc. so also got a dehydrator for wet pulp and then there's various uses for it, one being whacking in homemade bread (only made one so far though, a beetroot, carrot and ginger bread! There's an orange, mango and kiwi one ready to go this weekend!)

Currently, I liquidise as that keeps all the pulp....but if I was to get a juicer, Id get a slow cold press one, or a slow vertical masticator, as I see from vids that the high speed ones dont get as much out, hence the wet pulp, and they cook some nutrients to non existence, foam and dont do leaves. But they are quick.

Ive been looking at these:

http://www.juiceproducer.com/matstone-6-in-1-juicers-6-in-1-juicer-burgundy-with-ge-ultem-screens-free-book-p122

makes pasta and grinds meat too.

But wheat-based products are so yummy and chewy!

Ind: Subway will remove 'yoga mat' chemical azodicarbonamide from its USA bread

Restaurant chain Subway has said it is in the process of removing the chemical azodicarbonamide from its bread, a food additive which in one form is also used to increase elasticity in yoga mats and shoe rubber.
In a statement, they pointed out that the chemical was USDA and FDA approved

another example of a producer removing 'approved' ingredients here...

Forbes: Are GMO-Free Cheerios the First Domino?

Kraft and some other US food producers have also recently announced phasing all sorts of gunk (which people are starting to say no to in spite of its approved status) out of their products.

Good result Bloo Loo.

Have a recently diagnosed Celiac in the house. She 4 days into her glutten free diet and is already feeling slightly better! Whole house is doing the diet, can't foresee too many issues with it at all.