House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swissy_fit

Flooded Areas Of The Uk And Quadbike Jetskis

Now I know the quadbike jetski shown on Top Gear was 26k GBP, so pretty steep, however I think if I lived in one of these villages that have been cut off for weeks I'd be thinking about getting one!

Surely they could build them a bit cheaper than that anyway if enough were to be built?

Now I know the quadbike jetski shown on Top Gear was 26k GBP, so pretty steep, however I think if I lived in one of these villages that have been cut off for weeks I'd be thinking about getting one!

Surely they could build them a bit cheaper than that anyway if enough were to be built?

If I could remotely justify getting one - I would.

Actually, the river near us did overflow once causing the road to our estate to flood.....

Were you one of those people who rushed into the dealerships last year to buy a 4x4 because "they're good in the snow" ?

So to rubbish the idea of the quadbike jetski :

i) Personal watercraft are good fun. But they drink fuel like crazy.

ii) Where would you want to go ? All the local shops will be closed (flooded). You won't need to go to work. The emergency services will bring you food. If you need to leave or want to leave they will pick you up and take you to an evac place.

iii) If it is an impeller driven craft then taking it through muddy water with all manner of crap in it will be really stupid, because it will suck in the sticks and knacker the impeller, which will cost a fortune to fix.

Were you one of those people who rushed into the dealerships last year to buy a 4x4 because "they're good in the snow" ?

ii) Where would you want to go ? All the local shops will be closed (flooded). You won't need to go to work. The emergency services will bring you food. If you need to leave or want to leave they will pick you up and take you to an evac place.

iii) If it is an impeller driven craft then taking it through muddy water with all manner of crap in it will be really stupid, because it will suck in the sticks and knacker the impeller, which will cost a fortune to fix.

A BV 206 is called for. It fails on point 1 as well. But it floats, is generally awesome and you'd get kudos in the local community for being able to go anywhere. And you can mount a machine gun at the top.

A BV 206 is called for. It fails on point 1 as well. But it floats, is generally awesome and you'd get kudos in the local community for being able to go anywhere. And you can mount a machine gun at the top.

I would have thought a decent 2-3 man blow up dingy and a couple of paddles for emergencies if you are in a really flood prone area. You can get them on ebay for a couple of hundred quid.

Probably could paddle a couple of miles if you are careful. Of course it won't save you from a massive roaring tidal wave, but then not much else practical would either.

:)

No, my winter tyres are better than 4WD.

Don't the impellers have filters? I didn't know those things were restricted to clean water, there you go, learn something every day.

I was thinking of shops in the next (unflooded) town. And of helping out neighbours, as you do in villages. And of course of zooming around pointlessly like a middle-aged tw*t like Clarkson did.....

You won't need to go to work, hmmm. I'll let that pass.....

:)

No, my winter tyres are better than 4WD.

Don't the impellers have filters? I didn't know those things were restricted to clean water, there you go, learn something every day.

I was thinking of shops in the next (unflooded) town. And of helping out neighbours, as you do in villages. And of course of zooming around pointlessly like a middle-aged tw*t like Clarkson did.....

You won't need to go to work, hmmm. I'll let that pass.....

They don't have filters for the similar reasons aeroplane jet engines don't have filters to prevent them from sucking birds in and downing the plane.

Or you could use the money to move to a non prone to flood place. Or (contraversial) club together your money with your locsl community, and improve the stormwater and flood defenced in your local area. Be part of the community and take responsibility.

Years ago when I had a jetski, and these quadski's came out, we did debate what they would be useful for.

They are huge, heavy, slow, and that's for both the jetski mode and quadbike mode. They would be crap in the floods because of the debris, and could you image smashing over mounds damaging the underneath when using it as a quad bike?

I can only see the emergency services using these at sea for quick response where they are large sand banks.

You can get a jetski over 230bhp as standard now, and they ARE quick. but literately drink a full tank (20litres) in an hour. Mine was the last of the two stroke engines, and would empty the tank in 3-4hours - but was 135bhp.

I'd just get a 4x4 with a snorkel.

A single turd from the local curry house could blow out the hull. You'd probably sink in an unmarked ditch beside the council car park, firing your last shots in the air: "Gravity, you win again!"