House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dinker

It`s Official

No comment from me needed:

"They found that males on average have larger total brain volumes than women (by 8-13%). On average, males had larger absolute volumes than females in the intracranial space (12%; >14,000 brains), total brain (11%; 2,523 brains), cerebrum (10%; 1,851 brains), grey matter (9%; 7,934 brains), white matter (13%; 7,515 brains), regions filled with cerebrospinal fluid (11.5%; 4,484 brains), and cerebellum (9%; 1,842 brains).

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/males-and-females-differ-in-specific-brain-structures

If it has nothing to do with size, could a 100-neuron brain--however cunningly organised (or 'crinkly' if you prefer)--ever outwit a typical human brain?

Do you think a 100 neurone network could be arranged to have a greater surface area than a typical human brain? :unsure:

No comment from me needed:

"They found that males on average have larger total brain volumes than women (by 8-13%). On average, males had larger absolute volumes than females in the intracranial space (12%; >14,000 brains), total brain (11%; 2,523 brains), cerebrum (10%; 1,851 brains), grey matter (9%; 7,934 brains), white matter (13%; 7,515 brains), regions filled with cerebrospinal fluid (11.5%; 4,484 brains), and cerebellum (9%; 1,842 brains).

http://www.cam.ac.uk...rain-structures

is it because men are bigger than wimmen in general?.....

Saw a very interesting programme last week on smart animals.

Its all about proportion. If you do a straight line comparing size vs brain size reply all animals sit fairly close to it.

However some are below or above it. Ourselves, apes and many birds sit well above the line.

So what we must ask is - are men generally about 13% larger than women ? If so then there won't be any difference between us in terms of intelligence based on brain size.

However if not then we could see scientifically that either male or female are smarter than the other.

Men like meat, women like salady, fruity stuff. With cooked meat, less digestion is required allowing more energy to be diverted to the brain.

I am kind of making this up but it does have some basis of fact. Mans brain size increased by leaps and bounds after the discovery of cooking foods, because it allowed to develop bigger brains and smaller guts. Plus we had to sit around and graze all day just to get calories from uncooked plant matter (sometimes getting eaten by bigger animals in the process).

However some are below or above it. Ourselves, apes and many birds sit well above the line.

Keas are awesome things. When I used to have the opportunity I'd happily watch them do their thing for ages...

is it because men are bigger than wimmen in general?.....

Doh!

I would guess that in proportion women are smarter then, because men are surely more than 13% bigger in body/weight.

They probably need extra brain processing ability to monitor what all other women close enough to see are wearing, for example.

If they stopped thinking about the utter sh1te that so many of them spend their time thinking about they could probably invent time machines, useful renewable energy etc and save us all.

Doh!

I would guess that in proportion women are smarter then, because men are surely more than 13% bigger in body/weight.

They probably need extra brain processing ability to monitor what all other women close enough to see are wearing, for example.

If they stopped thinking about the utter sh1te that so many of them spend their time thinking about they could probably invent time machines, useful renewable energy etc and save us all.

A large proportion of the female brain is used up looking for bargain shoes! Don't blokes' heads come in different sizes too? I don't think any bloke here has earned a 1st class degree, merely by having a bigger hat size! Also men's feet are bigger (usually), which helps the larger male not fall over too often! :huh: