House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Checkpoints Set Up In Flood-Stricken Village To Search For Looters

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/459294/Checkpoints-set-up-in-flood-stricken-village-to-search-for-looters

Most of the roads in Wraysbury, Berkshire, were being guarded by locals amid reports of cars being broken into.

Motorists were being flagged down and scrutinised before being allowed to continue their journey.

Cathy Tye, who was manning a checkpoint with a group of women, said: “Everyone is getting very jumpy. There have been reports of sandbags being stolen and threats of violence.

“At night we are seeing strange cars turn up and people are definitely casing the area. Law and order hasn’t broken down but we are having to look after ourselves here without any help.

“It’s a very scary situation and people are afraid their homes will be burgled.”

Just like dads army?

A bit of rain and our virtually non-existent police and emergency services completely overwhelmed and vigilantes appear overnight. Even in leafy Tory heartlands.

Bloody hell. I've just seen the price of dry suits on ebay... I was going to sell mine for £40 before xmas, now £140!

I'm rich.

Better than wellies with bin liners.

“It’s a very scary situation and people are afraid their homes will be burgled.”

If it's all underwater? :blink:

You put all the good stuff upstairs. Its dry but not safe from people coming and taking it.

Presumably the thieves have boats.

More like Death of Grass. Wouldn`t take much IMO for the veneer of what passes for "society" in the UK to break down into cannibalism or worse? In the meantime I wouldn`t be happy to be"flagged down and scrutinised before being allowed to continue " by a bunch of wet Nimbys. If inner city renters started setting up checkpoints there would be a riot squad sent in sharpish.

"It's a very scary situation and people are afraid their homes will be burgled."

If I remember correctly, after serious flooding in Paisley in the 90`s, thieves were using scuba gear (stolen I assume) to ransack drowned cars.

If I remember correctly, after serious flooding in Paisley in the 90`s, thieves were using scuba gear (stolen I assume) to ransack drowned cars.

Goodness! What could be in them? A drowned cassette radio, and an unopened antifreeze?

Or was is dubloons, and Faberge eggs?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2558721/Smartly-dressed-thief-caught-camera-stealing-sandbags-makeshift-wall-protecting-houses-flooding.html

article-2558721-1B77B17F00000578-409_306x423.jpg

Residents have formed a home guard vigilante group to monitor the barrier, with a rota round the clock of two hour shifts, to curb the stealing.

The sandbags were put up by the Navy because of fears that a nearby wall holding back powerful flood waters could soon give way.

Running with the dad's army idea.