House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Experiences Of Shipping Your Posession Abroad

fwiw the last couple I used (3ish years ago), after a lot of searching and ummming and aaaahing were...

Simpsons (out of the Southeast UK)

Seven Seas (into the UK)

That was for shipping a fair amount of stuff (in boxes, not in dedicated container space) a long way.

Both proved fine and there are brochures/ faqs/ quotes on their websites.

In general, insurance appears to be a bit of a rip and not much help if something goes wrong.

There are a fair old number of small bucket shops out there which seem to be flogging effectively the same shipping space. All things considered I veered towards dealing with relatively well-established outfits and paid accordingly.

I shipped some stuff overseas once, it seems like a bit of a lottery really, some of my stuff was damaged slightly, was a cheapo outfit in all likelihood(I had no choice)

I'd encourage a decent insurance policy, and encourage you to ship only what you don't mind being knocked about a bit, in so far as this is possible.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the basics? Who does it reputable, what it cost, what's the process?

a company called 1st m0ve 1nternat10nal is the top google result but on these well travelled boards, what do you know?

I've read this http://britishexpats.com/articles/moving-abroad/methods-shipping/

We shipped out with White and Company who subcontract to lots of smaller shippers and it went very well.

Where are you going?

Might be cheper to get rid and buy at the other end

There be wisdom in those words.

wrt insurance cover, as I recall, it can get fuzzy if damage, rather than the total loss of a package is involved.

We shipped out with White and Company who subcontract to lots of smaller shippers and it went very well.

Yes, I believe that's how it's usually done, certainly for the longer-haul stuff.

Where are you going?

Yes, there's no point in shipping a second hand washing machine, or old car half way round the world!

Where are you going?

Im not going anywhere yet but Greece is a possible destination.

As it stands get rid is probably the more economic but 1) I need a few quotes to determine that and 2) It would provide an opportunity to stock up on some commodities.

FYI, Yorkshire /= Abroad

I think the reason why he's asking is to check if a ship would be involved.

The available options increase if we're talking somewhere within practical driving distance.

edit: if we're talking Greece what are the chances of getting in touch (via the UK ex-patriot expatriate network) with a Greek importer (food, people, whatever) who might be sending back 1/2 empty trucks?

edit: being a turnip

I've shipped personal stuff from a few tea-chest sized boxes to a 20 ft container. Never taken out insurance as it gets prohibitively expensive and they seem to pay out on total loss only. Generally sent by sea freight as it gets very expensive by air, but this can take many weeks to arrive, particularly if its a part consignment as the wait until the can fill a container before sending

Excess-baggage.com were always pretty slick. They provide and deliver all the boxes and tape and arrange courier pick up from your home

FYI, Yorkshire /= Abroad

Was thinking Greece. Italy then ferry from Brindisi no?

Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

I shipped the contents of my one-bedroom flat in North Yorkshire to Southern California by sea in container part-load with Movecorp. The stuff was collected in December and hasn't arrived yet: I am told late March or early April. I chose Movecorp after getting three quotes and checking their reputation out online, and not finding anything alarming. My experience of dealing with them at the Yorkshire end was broadly positive. I paid around £1,200 for a consignment that consisted of about 20 tea chest boxes, another 28 smaller boxes (half a tea chest size or less) and three pieces of furniture.

The gotchas I would advise anyone else to take into account are:

1. Establish clearly when making the deal whether you are going to pack stuff into boxes, or they are, i.e. in what state they're expecting to pick everything up.

2. If you're going to do your own packing, shop around online for boxes and tape - they're delivered and usually cheaper.

3. As someone else above noted, be selective about what you take and what you don't. You'll be charged by volume, not weight. So whereas you don't have to be as selective about small but heavy things (e.g. books) as you would be if you were mailing them, large but light things will be pricey to ship. An Ikea bookshelf that cost you £70 to buy will probably cost you around that to ship.

4. If you're moving to a country with a different power supply (this won't apply for intra-EU moves), there is no point in taking appliances that consume a significant amount of power (as in, above 50 watts or so) and will only work on a 230/50 supply. Plug-in transformers for low-power things are easy and cheap to get, but for something like, say, a hairdryer, it's not worth it. You'd pay more for a 1.5KW transformer than you would for a new hairdryer.

5. The removals company will want an inventory listing the contents of each item, for customs purposes. When I moved, I printed out a load of A4 sticky labels with the origin and destination address, my green card number and other info that customs would need, and then wrote the box number (e.g. "Box 17 of 48") on them by hand as I stuck them on each box. I found that this saved a lot of time compared to writing this info on each item.

6. Ask the removals company precisely what paperwork they will need for customs processing purposes, and make sure that you have it, and that it's properly filled out, well in advance of the collection date. I'm guessing that if it's an intra-EU move the paperwork won't be much, but if you're going outside the EU there'll be customs declarations, tax forms and other fun stuff. Keep a few photocopies of your passport and visa if applicable (and a scanned version that you can email to people) handy throughout the process, too.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the basics? Who does it reputable, what it cost, what's the process?

a company called 1st m0ve 1nternat10nal is the top google result but on these well travelled boards, what do you know?

I've read this http://britishexpats...thods-shipping/

I've done it 7 times in my life so far (I'll stick at that if I decide to stay in Toronto) and I've used various approaches. The very best was paying Crown Relocation to do everything for me (I've used them three times) - it wasn't cheap but it very low hassle and everything turned up in one piece on all occasions. The worst was a fully DIY one where I hired a container, packed it myself and dealt with all the paperwork. The intermediate one involved storing most of my stuff in the UK and shipping only a small number of things that I couldn't easily replace at the other end.

I've done it 7 times in my life so far (I'll stick at that if I decide to stay in Toronto) and I've used various approaches. The very best was paying Crown Relocation to do everything for me (I've used them three times) - it wasn't cheap but it very low hassle and everything turned up in one piece on all occasions. The worst was a fully DIY one where I hired a container, packed it myself and dealt with all the paperwork. The intermediate one involved storing most of my stuff in the UK and shipping only a small number of things that I couldn't easily replace at the other end.

Cricket bats, Bowler hats, and a 1965 Humber Snipe? :blink:

Many regular removal companies will be happy to do it for you.

For example, Pickfords did a perfectly good job of my move to near Rome in 1992. Cost £500, which included several weeks storage (while I found a flat out there).

For example, Pickfords did a perfectly good job of my move to near Rome in 1992. Cost £500, which included several weeks storage (while I found a flat out there).

That was extremely cheap even for 1992! Are you sure you didn't forget to add a zero? How many cubic metres was that?

Was thinking Greece. Italy then ferry from Brindisi no?

Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

From memory there's 3 ferry options to Piraeus but I've priced them up for holidays and early summer and high season, and they're not even competitive against flights for 4 people let alone something larger on more than 1 journey. The kicker is needing in another ferry from Piraeus once you get there just kills it on price. Its all hypothetical at the moment but I probably wouldn't even take my car due to the cost and our needs over there.

You're right on the 30 seconds, we've nothing we couldn't live without. But we do have some practical stuff we'd expect to last a while so its worth checking things out.

Many regular removal companies will be happy to do it for you.

Speaking to people who've moved house recently it easily costs 4 figures to pack a truck and drive a few miles with a reputable company nowadays.