House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

As Flood-Hit Britons Endure Unimaginable Hardship, The Mail Launches A Petition Calling For Cash To Be Taken From The £11Billion Foreign Aid Budget To

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2556282/Put-UK-flood-victim-FIRST-As-flood-hit-Britons-endure-unimaginable-hardship-Mail-launches-petition-calling-cash-taken-11billion-foreign-aid-budget-help-them.html

Put UK flood victims FIRST: As flood-hit Britons endure unimaginable hardship, the Mail launches a petition calling for cash to be taken from the £11billion foreign aid budget to help them

There is growing anger that Britain is spending billions on foreign development projects

Parts of the Thames Valley were declared a ‘major incident’ by police as hundreds fled their homes

Suspending aid for for a brief period could raise enough money for UK families in need

So should the UK stop giving foreign aid to give relief to the flood victims?

An interesting dilemma.

It's not affected me one bit.

If I was unfortunate to have a house that flooded ( along with he other 200 people blink.gif) i'd move.

It's hardly a national disaster....more people die from the cold...are they going to throw money to bring down the cost of heating ?

If the other Mail article is correct, then this is a distraction:

The Environment Agency concedes it ought to have dredged the Somerset Levels much sooner, as local people had long urged.

Lord Smith insists it would have done so, were it not for government rules limiting its spending to just £400,000.

To put that into context, no fewer than 14 Environment Agency officials earn more than £100,000 a year.

What is more, the quango spent a staggering £2.4 million last year on public relations, which is at least a million pounds more than it would have needed to dredge the crucial River Tone and River Parrett.

I bet dredging wouldn't have made much difference.

Well, quite, but if the argument is about the cost of dredging and where the money should come from, there would appear to be a few candidates closer to home before we need to dip into the foreign aid budget.

BBC News last night featured footage of a helicopter flight over the flood-affected parts of Surrey. The property wealth on display probably hit £10,000,000+ I would say. Sure looked like those living there could afford a repair bill, even if they don't have insurance.

BBC News last night featured footage of a helicopter flight over the flood-affected parts of Surrey. The property wealth on display probably hit £10,000,000+ I would say. Sure looked like those living there could afford a repair bill, even if they don't have insurance.

You forget that 10,000,000 property wealth only cost the ownes £200,000 total, viva la house price inflation.

http://www.dailymail...-help-them.html

So should the UK stop giving foreign aid to give relief to the flood victims?

An interesting dilemma.

How much foreign aid spending is really directed by MI6 (or stuffed into brown envelopes and passed under tables)?

Seems very odd that the Tories won't touch it, since the political backlash would be relatively small.

Edited by (Blizzard)

How much foreign aid spending is really directed by MI6 (or stuffed into brown envelopes and passed under tables)?

Seems very odd that the Tories won't touch it, since the political backlash would be relatively small.

Is it really foreign aid or is it buttering up foreign governments so the British get some kind of preferencial treatment when it comes to trade ( aka lining the pockets of the governments business friends ).

The best thing about globalisation is that there is so much money to be made...for some.

Is it really foreign aid or is it buttering up foreign governments so the British get some kind of preferencial treatment when it comes to trade ( aka lining the pockets of the governments business friends ).

The best thing about globalisation is that there is so much money to be made...for some.

Yes, exactly. Like I say, it seems very odd that 'charity' is untouchable, and it would be a convenient way to account for any dodgy spending.

You forget that 10,000,000 property wealth only cost the ownes £200,000 total, viva la house price inflation.

£200K is still ten times (roughly) the median salary today. If that's the nominal price that the owners paid before this century, then they were doing pretty well then. These were all at least five bed detached properties by a river with large gardens.

There has been some serious wealth on display in those helicopter fly-overs - lots appear to have moored boats worth more than a lot of houses elsewhere in the country.

They are basically screwed now though if this kind of thing starts to happen regularly. The ground is so saturated that it will not dry out by next Autumn and the ground water levels underground must be at almost ground levels. There is little they can do to divert this water other than a massive digging of massive drainage canals and dyke style earthworks.

Did you see the London Sikh charity bloke "we would have got on a plane to go and help at a disaster in the rest of the world, so I thought why not just get on the motorway and come and help here"

But surely the property "wealth" takes a hit when the front room is a swimming pool? Your house is only worth what someone will pay, and who wants to buy houses that flood now that this type of weather event seems to happen more frequently?

There has been some serious wealth on display in those helicopter fly-overs - lots appear to have moored boats worth more than a lot of houses elsewhere in the country.

They are basically screwed now though if this kind of thing starts to happen regularly. The ground is so saturated that it will not dry out by next Autumn and the ground water levels underground must be at almost ground levels. There is little they can do to divert this water other than a massive digging of massive drainage canals and dyke style earthworks.

They will have come in handy.

Did you see the London Sikh charity bloke "we would have got on a plane to go and help at a disaster in the rest of the world, so I thought why not just get on the motorway and come and help here"

Puts the rest of us to shame - where are all those emergency rescue teams who go flying off around the world?

Is it possible that those of us in the North, Wales, Scotland and NI are perhaps enjoying a bit of grief for the South of the country?

Disaster? Not heard anything about the death toll or seen refugee camps being set up yet!

That's a very good question. How much of the aid given to India is actually a kickback to Tata Motors for keeping Jaguar/Land Rover here? FWIW, I don't recall the UK govt ever constructing a motorway junction expressly to facilitate the manufacture and distribution of engine parts either...

http://www.ancerspa.co.uk/jaguarlandrover/

sitelocation.jpg

Sorry mk, but you actually have no technical qualifications or professional experience in this field do you?

Sorry mk, but you actually have no technical qualifications or professional experience in this field do you?

Which bit are we talking about? Houses? Boats? Helicopters? Rivers? Flooding? Etc, etc?

Which bit am I wrong in? Don't say all of it - it will crush me :lol: