House Price Crash Forum

Pointless Laws

MrPin

HOLA441

For some reason, I woke up with a desire to purchase a briar pipe, and some tobacco, and smoke the pipe in a car full of children!

I did not desire this yesterday! :blink:

HOLA442

For some reason, I woke up with a desire to purchase a briar pipe, and some tobacco, and smoke the pipe in a car full of children!

I did not desire this yesterday! :blink:

Indulge yourself!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

A related question, can anybody suggest the last time a really important law was introduced? Maybe speed limits in the 1960's, possibly the 1980's trade union legislation?

I've seen it argued that laws suffer from the "law of diminishing marginal return" (no pun intended), which is to say that the really important (and obvious) laws get enacted early on (murder, rape burglary etc...) but after a while lawmakers have nothing to do but enact pointless laws to justify their existance (smoking in cars, minimum alcohol pricing etc...).

I'd suggest that pretty much every law passed in the last 30 years was pointless.

HOLA446
HOLA447

That law making young men eligible for some bum-fun at sixteen seems a bit pointless.

The poor sods have to be eighteen to get drunk enough to try bowling from the pavilion end in the first place, and also to buy 20 Regal king-size to smoke afterwards.

Can't see much incentive for a young fella to switch sides there like...

XYY

HOLA448

Its another unpoliceable law. 99.9% of offenders wont/cant be caught. And the offenders wont care, as they already smoke in a car with kids in it. All it is, is political posturing before an election.

A related question, can anybody suggest the last time a really important law was introduced?

Smoking in pubs 2007?

HOLA449

A related question, can anybody suggest the last time a really important law was introduced? Maybe speed limits in the 1960's, possibly the 1980's trade union legislation?

I'd say the 70s were excellent for important acts of parliament protecting citizens from abuse. Some technology driven but probably important regulations in the 90s. There have been some important acts recently too although going the other way in terms of protecting citizens.

Consumer Credit Act 1974

Health and Safety at Work Act 1974

Sex Discrimination Act 1975

Race Relations Act 1976

Computer Misuse Act 1990

Data Protection Act 1998

Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005

Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011

HOLA4410

Judging by the number of people that drive whilst on mobile or texting, you think they would push to make this illegal?

Yes, that is an example. Even though it is now naughty, people still do it, because missing a bollard is much less important than missing a Tweet!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

That law making young men eligible for some bum-fun at sixteen seems a bit pointless.

The poor sods have to be eighteen to get drunk enough to try bowling from the pavilion end in the first place, and also to buy 20 Regal king-size to smoke afterwards.

XYY

Aye, you have to be real bevvied up, if this were not in your nature! You would probably need 40 tabs after! And a pint o Scotch, and ham stottie!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The Potato (Mashed and Diced) Regulations 2004

The Lewd Act Act 1897

The Leave Choirboy's Bottoms Alone Act 1927

The Helium Balloon (Weights and Measures) Regulations 1941

An Acte Bannynge Uglye Womene 1528

Never passed in Scotland, hence CCC would! :blink:

HOLA4415

XYY

Get stuffed. You know you'd love it. The lady protests too much.

HOLA4416

I'd say the 70s were excellent for important acts of parliament protecting citizens from abuse. Some technology driven but probably important regulations in the 90s. There have been some important acts recently too although going the other way in terms of protecting citizens.

Consumer Credit Act 1974

Health and Safety at Work Act 1974

Sex Discrimination Act 1975

Race Relations Act 1976

Computer Misuse Act 1990

Data Protection Act 1998

Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005

Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011

Which ones are the important acts? :unsure:

HOLA4417

Aye, you have to be real bevvied up, if this were not in your nature! You would probably need 40 tabs after! And a pint o Scotch, and ham stottie!

Well if 'ham stottie' isn't already a euphemism, it friggin' well should be - it's right up there with 'vertical bacon sandwich' and 'haddock pastie'...

XYY

HOLA4418

Get stuffed. You know you'd love it. The lady protests too much.

Now hey, you can just stop it with those totally unfounded allegations Mr DD.

I'll have you know I've scratched people's eyes out for much less than that in the past...

;)

XYY

HOLA4419

"An Act for the Punishment of idle and disorderly Persons, and Rogues and Vagabonds, in England" 1824

This act was recently used to prosecute 3 men who admitted skipping (savaging outside shops for out of date, thrown away food) outside an Iceland store. The day before the trial CPS changed their minds and withdrew the case.

http://blogs.ft.com/david-allen-green/2014/02/12/skipping-justice/

The Data Protection Act 1998 is a worthy act, as without it we would have banks selling our data to scam artists and our medical information to insurance companies.

A worthy act is the Children Act 2004 which was built on the findings of the inquest into Victoria Climbie's death.

HOLA4420

One of the most pointless acts, is the decision to ban "motorbikes with wrong sided sidecars" from being registered! A previous act had already decided, quite reasonably, that the inverted combination had to have a light on the sidecar! I bet this ban affected about three people!

HOLA4421

The Data Protection Act 1998 is a worthy act, as without it we would have banks selling our data to scam artists and our medical information to insurance companies.

The law so beloved by customer disservice departments everywhere.

I tried to get HMRC to send me a blank P60 form for 2011/12 recently and the first two dickheads I spoke to refused quoting the DPA 1998. Quite what it had to do with that act I have no idea, neither did they when challenged, but they still refused.

I did have some fun on another occasion recently when requesting some information for my wife. I said I was her, the poor data centre operative, was so confused because I gave her all the correct information. She couldn't figure out why a woman should have such a deep manly voice. She had to consult with her supervisor and in the end gave me the information I requested. She's probably gone into brain overload now.

HOLA4422

I did have some fun on another occasion recently when requesting some information for my wife. I said I was her, the poor data centre operative, was so confused because I gave her all the correct information. She couldn't figure out why a woman should have such a deep manly voice. She had to consult with her supervisor and in the end gave me the information I requested. She's probably gone into brain overload now.

Sex Discrimination Law might have kicked in short-circuiting any reasoned questioning for fear of offence or being sued.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

The law so beloved by customer disservice departments everywhere.

I tried to get HMRC to send me a blank P60 form for 2011/12 recently and the first two dickheads I spoke to refused quoting the DPA 1998. Quite what it had to do with that act I have no idea, neither did they when challenged, but they still refused.

:D

They have probably kept the recording of your gender antics for equality and embracing diversity staff training.

HOLA4425

I tried to get HMRC to send me a blank P60 form for 2011/12 recently and the first two dickheads I spoke to refused quoting the DPA 1998.

Presumably the real reason is that a blank P60 could be extremely useful for someone wishing to commit fraud, the idiots presumably quoted DPA as an unthinking reflex.

Archived