House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
libitina

Shropshire Anybody?

I have noticed a lot more properties coming onto the market around this area in the last month or so, however, the prices aren't dropping, despite the fact that the places aren't selling.

Oh well, I suppose it's a start if nothing else...

I have noticed a lot more properties coming onto the market around this area in the last month or so, however, the prices aren't dropping, despite the fact that the places aren't selling.

Surely there's Shropshire and Shropshire; from real rural areas to Birmingham far-outer suburbs? Staffordshire is similar.

However, anywhere 'the places aren't selling' will eventually see falling prices. Have you tried making offers?

Surely there's Shropshire and Shropshire; from real rural areas to Birmingham far-outer suburbs? Staffordshire is similar.

However, anywhere 'the places aren't selling' will eventually see falling prices. Have you tried making offers?

Telford end of Shropshire we are. Right on the border of Shrops/Staffs/ West mids.

The majority of houses in our village are currently approx 80% over our tiny budget (sticking to usual multiples, no intention of going higher). Vilage where our son goes to school is slightly cheaper but very little up for sale. We need to be on the school bus route as Hubby will be away for 5 months next year and I'm hoping to get a place at Uni next September so will be unable to ferry sprog about. We also need to get a mortgage certificate before I leave work, so this time next year is the longest we can put it off or we'll face waiting at least another 3 years. (I think 5 years is enough- well 6 by then)

I spoke to a surveyor from a shropshire EA last week who said that sales volumes in Shrewsbury and surrounding areas were very low. He agreed with me that this was a similar situation to just before the last crash. He also said that all of the official surveys were rubbish.

Telford end of Shropshire we are. Right on the border of Shrops/Staffs/ West mids.

The majority of houses in our village are currently approx 80% over our tiny budget (sticking to usual multiples, no intention of going higher). Vilage where our son goes to school is slightly cheaper but very little up for sale. We need to be on the school bus route as Hubby will be away for 5 months next year and I'm hoping to get a place at Uni next September so will be unable to ferry sprog about. We also need to get a mortgage certificate before I leave work, so this time next year is the longest we can put it off or we'll face waiting at least another 3 years. (I think 5 years is enough- well 6 by then)

My late Aunt's cottage was at the other end of Staffordshire, a few miles from where Staffordshire meets Derbyshire meets Leicestershire. A couple of miles west of the A38 about half way between Lichfield and Burton-on-Trent.

Basically rolling low hills; farmland with villages and hamlets full of expensive commuter-type houses. Seemed to me a lovely place to live.

Funny thing though; every time I meet someone here in Australia who knows the English Midlands, and give them this description of Staffordshire, they look at me as if I've gone nuts. Is the rest of the county different? :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by ajh

When my Mother in law came to visit when we were first posted here, she was very suprised by how rural it is. Especially as we're only about 35 miles from Birmingham city centre.

A few weeks ago, one local EA had about 4 properties on their books for my village, it's now up to 3 and a bit pages,

Still too expensive, but for a village where property rarely comes on the market, it's a big step.

Now we just need to work on the prices. :D

I find it very strange that a new housing development in Shrewsbury (Selling for 400k) is being advertised full page colour in my local Llandudno paper ! I don't see the connection ???

They really can't be selling if they're advertising up here!

Living and renting in shrewsbury near to centre.

The first thing that becomes apparent when you walk around shrewsbury town centre is the number of offices and shops that have closed down and the numerous to let signs that have sprung up everywhere. Not good.

I'm renting an 'apartment' for £700 pcm on a relatively new development. An identical property may 2004 sold for £195K. An identical property is now on the market for the same price. Likewise an end terrace house on the next development is selling for last years prices. Stagnation is the order of the day. Fraudulant self cert mortgages, fraudulant deals beteween developers and buyers, the credit fuelled 'booming ' economy and stubborn interest rates have all conspired to make prices stick in the past few months. The following graphs illustrate my point, but also illustrate the fact we have at least 5 years before prices reduce to anywhere near historic averages.

http://www.proviser.com/regional/towns/shr...es/price_trend/

http://www.proviser.com/regional/counties/...es/price_trend/

I think these graphs make for extremely depressing reading. I need a beer.

Edited by Baz63

I think these graphs make for extremely depressing reading. I need a beer.

I agree, but even though as FTBs we can't afford a house yet, I think prices in Shropshire are fairly reasonable compared to a lot of the UK.

Hey Baz, why 5 years?

Depends what one means by 'affordable'. My definition of affordability is the average price of a house being 3.5-4 times the average salary. This is the historic average.

This ratio still existed in 1999, just about. Look at the graphs in the links I provided, and other graphs on the website, especially those illustrating a 40 year timeline of housing bubbles. Assuming HPI declines at a similar rate to which it increased we should be at 1999 prices, or at least the historic ratios, within 5 years. This is the reality I'm sorry to say. There's a lot of rubbish on this site suggesting a reversion to historic averages in two years. STRs have been saying this since 2003 and they have yet to see yoy decreases in prices.

Ofcourse, for some, property may become'affordable' well before that, depending on personal circumstances.

I agree, but even though as FTBs we can't afford a house yet, I think prices in Shropshire are fairly reasonable compared to a lot of the UK.

Hi Libitina. How's Telford? Was in Wellington last Saturday for school reunion. Regular vistor to Telford also, although don't get to see much of it.

Pip pip

Hi Libitina. How's Telford? Was in Wellington last Saturday for school reunion. Regular vistor to Telford also, although don't get to see much of it.

Pip pip

Same as ever. I only go in for college, work and shopping though. Still, it's way better than Wolverhampton :)

31 St Cuthberts Crescent,

Albrighton,

Wolverhampton,

Shropshire,

WV7 3HP £159,950

Semi-Detached

Freehold

Build status not stated 29-Sep-2005

Map (WV7 3HP)

31 St Cuthberts Crescent,

Albrighton,

Wolverhampton,

Shropshire,

WV7 3HP £135,000

Semi-Detached

Freehold

Build status not stated 12-Jul-2005

Map (WV7

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?co...wv7&town=&year=

The main problem here is that traditionally, very little comes on the market, hence high prices (8 miles either direction is much, much cheaper). I have noticed in the last couple of months though that more property is coming onto the market, and it's hanging around longer.

A house around the corner was put on for £150k last April, reduced to £147k in the summer and the sold price was £125k, so it is very slowly but surely changing here. Just not fast enough at the moment for our needs unfortunately!

It is all quite depressing really. I drove through Shropshire on my way to my father's house in Wales. Quite how Shrewsbury salaries can sustain those prices is beyond me.

Good luck with your search, and keep away from Telford.

It is all quite depressing really. I drove through Shropshire on my way to my father's house in Wales. Quite how Shrewsbury salaries can sustain those prices is beyond me.

Good luck with your search, and keep away from Telford.

I intend to if possible, but if it came down to it, I'd rather have Telford than wolverhampton ;)

My late Aunt's cottage was at the other end of Staffordshire, a few miles from where Staffordshire meets Derbyshire meets Leicestershire. A couple of miles west of the A38 about half way between Lichfield and Burton-on-Trent.

Basically rolling low hills; farmland with villages and hamlets full of expensive commuter-type houses. Seemed to me a lovely place to live.

Funny thing though; every time I meet someone here in Australia who knows the English Midlands, and give them this description of Staffordshire, they look at me as if I've gone nuts. Is the rest of the county different? :lol::lol::lol:

I visited Brewood ("Broood" the locals call it) just outside of Wolverhampton this Xmas. Nice place, Staffs, Nice canal, Good beer, friendly locals, nice village. Easy commute Bham or Mchester. Still cheap compared to Cambs.

Thinking of relocating.....