House Price Crash Forum
mburke78

Description Of House Is Wrong

I have nearly bought a house and should be complete in the next 2-3 weeks so have invested a lot into the purchase in both time and money. An issue has potentially risen in that the property was marketed as saying it had been rewired but now I'm not so sure as it doesn't look like it's been decorated since the 80's and they would of needed to remove the wallpaper to rewire it. My question is if they have marketed it wrong is the seller legally obligated to pay for the rewiring? Also do I have a right to claim all my costs back if they say no or pull out of the sale due to it or can I sue.

Any help from people who have had a similar experience would be great.

Good luck with asking them to pay for a rewire - looks like your looking to back out of reduce the price - I always think rewires are generally a waste of dosh. An old consumer unit does not necessarily mean the wireing is dangerous and standards change over time. 18th edition could be out soon, does this mean everything wired to 17th edition is dangerous eh no!

Good luck with asking them to pay for a rewire - looks like your looking to back out of reduce the price - I always think rewires are generally a waste of dosh. An old consumer unit does not necessarily mean the wireing is dangerous and standards change over time. 18th edition could be out soon, does this mean everything wired to 17th edition is dangerous eh no!

That isn't the point. If someone says the house has been rewired and it hasn't then they are being misleading. If the wiring is 50 years old then it probably does been replacing and it's a £3000 bill. Why should I folk out that money for them lying.

That isn't the point. If someone says the house has been rewired and it hasn't then they are being misleading. If the wiring is 50 years old then it probably does been replacing and it's a £3000 bill. Why should I folk out that money for them lying.

Could you ask to see a receipt for payment for the work? Plus proof that it was done ( if it was) by somebody properly qualified, with whatever piece of paper they have now. I have heard a couple of horror stories of wiring done by cowboys on the cheap. I believe it is mandatory for kitchen wiring at least to be done by somebody properly qualified.

I don't think it would be at all unreasonable to ask for proof of this claim - in fact I would think anyone would be daft not to make a point of it.

If they can't offer any convincing proof you would be entitled to get a qualified electrician to check it out.

Edited by Mrs Bear

Could you ask to see a receipt for payment for the work? Plus proof that it was done ( if it was) by somebody properly qualified, with whatever piece of paper they have now. I have heard a couple of horror stories of wiring done by cowboys on the cheap. I believe it is mandatory for kitchen wiring at least to be done by somebody properly qualified.

I don't think it would be at all unreasonable to ask for proof of this claim - in fact I would think anyone would be daft not to make a point of it.

If they can't offer any convincing proof you would be entitled to get a qualified electrician to check it out.

Ask to see the NICEIC Condition Report which would have been produced if the work had been done, and by an NICEIC registered electrician.

How old is the house? If its 100 years old and it was rewired in the 80's, then the description would be correct. Are you having a survey done that will check condition of electrical system?

If the property was just marketed as having had a rewire then you will not have a leg to stand on as the marketing materials will almost certainly have a disclaimer and therefore you must apply principle of buyer beware. On the other hand, if they have stated in the pre-contract property questionnaire that it has had a rewire then that is a different matter, though if your conveyancer was doing their job properly they would have asked to see evidence of this.

How old is the house? If its 100 years old and it was rewired in the 80's, then the description would be correct. Are you having a survey done that will check condition of electrical system?

This unless there were dates of when the work was done ,just sounds like typical EA weasel words

Cheers all for the replies, it's really appreciated. I think I'm screwed on this as the person who owned the property died and it's in the hands of a solicitor who has shrugged his shoulders and said he doesn't know and doesn't have any paperwork. It just seems really naughty to state one thing and not back it up with proof when you have committed money to buying the property. When we sold our house we had to produce all sorts of certificates and such and when we have bought this house we will be lucky to get the certificate for the boiler that they say was fitted in 2010.

On the plus side the sockets look new as the house was built in the 60's so I think it's had some work done on it but don't think it's a total rewire as the wallpaper on the walls is intact and hasn't been decorated for a very long time. I just hope it's not going to cost me £3000 to get it rewired. I know some people have said you don't need it done but I'm sure it's recommended to get the wiring done every 40-50 years.

Go to the house, switch off the juice a the main unit, then unscrew one of the sockets and look inside. You should be able to see if its new or not, or ask a spark to come and confirm.

Some houses had conduits built in the walls, so a rewire is to tie the new cable and pull it with the old one from the other end. No need to chase walls.

Still remember rewiring a school with me dad, where someone drove a nail through the conduit luckily missing the wires. And I was curious why the flipping wire does not want to pull.

Ask to view rewire certificate.

Cabling can be pulled through conduits without always disturbing the walls. The old is pulled out and new wiring in pulled in..ask to view the main fuse box and see if it has any dates stamped on as to when it was installed.

Go to the house, switch off the juice a the main unit, then unscrew one of the sockets and look inside. You should be able to see if its new or not, or ask a spark to come and confirm.

Some houses had conduits built in the walls, so a rewire is to tie the new cable and pull it with the old one from the other end. No need to chase walls.

Still remember rewiring a school with me dad, where someone drove a nail through the conduit luckily missing the wires. And I was curious why the flipping wire does not want to pull.

Ask to view rewire certificate.

Cabling can be pulled through conduits without always disturbing the walls. The old is pulled out and new wiring in pulled in..ask to view the main fuse box and see if it has any dates stamped on as to when it was installed.

Cheers guys for the tips think I'll do that and have a look in person.

Check the colour of the wires too - they were changed from Red and black to brown and blue around 2005 if I recall so that will help you determine when last rewired

And from 2012 they need to be grey