House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Cheap Dinners

This is my kind of thread.......spreading the word in making excellent, tasty, healthy, real, seasonal food for less.

I do often think there are many out there who have never eaten real quality food with quality ingredients (some rarely sit at a table to eat).....I am sure a whole generation of people are growing up living on processed, ready, micro,take-away and snacks full of salt, sugar and unhealthy fats....what we conveniently eat today will hugely affect our health tomorrow. ;)

Edit:

Now the new one on top of everything else is false foods buyer beware.

This is my kind of thread.......spreading the word in making excellent, tasty, healthy, real, seasonal food for less.

I do often think there are many out there who have never eaten real quality food with quality ingredients (some rarely sit at a table to eat).....I am sure a whole generation of people are growing up living on processed, ready, micro,take-away and snacks full of salt, sugar and unhealthy fats....what we conveniently eat today will hugely affect our health tomorrow. ;)

Edit:

Now the new one on top of everything else is false foods buyer beware.

Agreed.

I bought a lambs liver today for $3.80 which will provide for 2 meals for the OH and I.

this is what worries me on these things:

6 smart price sausages, fried, and chopped into tiny pieces

AFAIK, smart price sausages are mainly sawdust and breadcrumbs...

I've just lugged a rucksack full of kale back from the lottie. Hardy, easy to grow and if you keep it under debris nets, as I have done this winter, packed with nutritious whiteflies.

I heard the pheasant shoot had a surplus...donated, proceeds of sale all to charity....nothing wasted. ;)

You are not allowed to eat peasant, magna carta and all these laws.

Agreed.

I bought a lambs liver today for $3.80 which will provide for 2 meals for the OH and I.

Lambs liver is very nice cheaper to buy and so good for you, plenty of iron....lambs kidney is also really tasty.

;)

I've just lugged a rucksack full of kale back from the lottie. Hardy, easy to grow and if you keep it under debris nets, as I have done this winter, packed with nutritious whiteflies.

Whiteflies...Mmmmm....

Lambs liver is very nice cheaper to buy and so good for you, plenty of iron....lambs kidney is also really tasty.

;)

You made me think about liver risotto! A lady at University showed me how to make that! It was actually easier than Physics, but a certain minority of my colleagues, were refectory defects, and never learned to cook! :blink:

Thanks for the link Bloo Loo; this looks like something I can and will do. I must spend ~£500 a month for a family of 4 (2adults+2under'5s). My time management has been admittedly lacking but with my youngest starting pre-school on thurs/frid from last week there's no excuse.

Added to favorites :)

Thanks for the link Bloo Loo; this looks like something I can and will do. I must spend ~£500 a month for a family of 4 (2adults+2under'5s). My time management has been admittedly lacking but with my youngest starting pre-school on thurs/frid from last week there's no excuse.

I think thanks are for the very stunning Sarah Bell...who is probably a biker with a beard.

Eating cheap food is false economy, you'll end up paying with your health instead.

(for clarity: I'm not saying that all cheap food is unhealthy or that all expensive food is healthy, but rather that healthy food usually has it's price. Of course if you grow your own then that's a different matter.)

Family of four here - £275 per month. There's a fair amount of slack in that, I reckon. And that's without resorting to grow-your-own and roadkill. Once I manage to ditch the millstone that is work, I think we can approach self-sufficiency in veg.

I've seen that website before (in fact, I've posted it here!) and aspire to its £100 a month.

I think thanks are for the very stunning Sarah Bell...who is probably a biker with a beard.

No, no, no. She's both erudite and beautiful. And the only allotment-eer who can pull off the Hunter wellies and a miniskirt look.

Can I have some tips for cooking liver?

I would do, but I always screw it up and make it horrible

Liver, bacon and tomato casserole, serves 4

1 lb lamb's liver, 2 Oz flour, 2 tbsp a oil, a few rashers of bacon, chopped, 1 lb onions, chopped, 2 cans of tomatoes, 1 bay leaf, 1 tbsp Worcs. sauce, 3/4 t pt stock (I would use chicken stock) salt and pepper.

Slice liver into long strips, coat with flour and fry until just golden brown, but not cooked through. Put in casserole. Fry bacon and onions until golden, stir in remaining flour, add tomatoes, bay leaf and stock and W sauce. Add to casserole, cover with lid, put in preheated oven 150c for 1 1/2 hrs. Serve with mash or noodles.

All my family used to like this, v tasty. Haven't made it for ages. V old recipe book, hence all Imperial.

Liver, bacon and tomato casserole, serves 4

1 lb lamb's liver, 2 Oz flour, 2 tbsp a oil, a few rashers of bacon, chopped, 1 lb onions, chopped, 2 cans of tomatoes, 1 bay leaf, 1 tbsp Worcs. sauce, 3/4 t pt stock (I would use chicken stock) salt and pepper.

Slice liver into long strips, coat with flour and fry until just golden brown, but not cooked through. Put in casserole. Fry bacon and onions until golden, stir in remaining flour, add tomatoes, bay leaf and stock and W sauce. Add to casserole, cover with lid, put in preheated oven 150c for 1 1/2 hrs. Serve with mash or noodles.

All my family used to like this, v tasty. Haven't made it for ages. V old recipe book, hence all Imperial.

I'll try it

Do you think it would work in a slow cooker (over more more extended period of time)?

I enjoy some crap food but the difference between say Morrisons Signature sausages which seem quite good and Richmond Irish sausages is truly insane.

I'll try it

Do you think it would work in a slow cooker (over more more extended period of time)?

I don't see why not. I think I would bring it all just to a boil and then leave on low SC setting if for a long time. Can't find any liver recipe in my SC book. Could also try with pig"s liver - the flavours of the other stuff will help to mask any not-quite-as-nice-ness. .