House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chappers32

First Time Buyer 155K South Manchester ?

Hi I'm 33 year old woman looking to buy in south Manchester. I work in knutsford so anywhere within reasonable travel distance. I only have around £155k to spend so I'm aware that doesn't get me a great deal but as long as it's safe and in an ok area . I prefer old and characterful Rather than new build but open to suggestion ! I not from Manchester so I'm totally ignorant on areas but I went to view a couple last week that said they were timperely altrincham but they definitely seemed more wynthenshaw area !!!

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated !

X

If I were you I'd be considering Heald Green (if you don't mind the planes), Macclesfield or Congleton. The first two have a decent train into Manchester were things to go wrong in Knutsford, but you get a lot more for your money in Congleton.

Renting might be an idea too, rather than jumping straight into buying in a place you don't know.

Terrible time to buy up here too. Supply is low, asking prices are significantly higher than recorded sold prices. Lots of (seemingly overpriced) stuff goes SSTC very quickly stays like that for months and then comes back on. Only do it if you're sure and can afford to take a hit if they drop back 20% or so.

Try and gauge asking prices against 2007/08 peaks, and don't go near (or above that) unless you're sure. Some areas are back to that level but most aren't and are still at 2005 levels.

You've not mentioned your priorities at all.

Northwich might be a reasonable compromise. Town facilities/supermarkets, easy commute and on the Knutsford/Chester train line. Some 3 bed semis for that sort of money. (324 hits in immediate area under £160k on rightmove)

For 2 bed terraced props you could look at Bollington/Macclesfield. Further/bit more awkward to drive though.

If you want to be closer on train to Mcr then you could look along the Stockport corridor. Lots of older props, but much more built up and longer drive to work.

Edited by R K

If I were you I'd be considering Heald Green (if you don't mind the planes),

She said South Manchester, and mentioned Altrincham.... so I'm going to guess she would prefer to be on the Manchester side of things, rather than even further out on the Northwich / Macc side. Although she admits little local knowledge.

I just did a search on RM for Heald Green, and this was the first (and only) listing I opened. It's not old and characterful though. Looks like some money issue has hit, else why put it on market in that condition? http://www.rightmove...y-40804555.html

At first glance, train options from Heald Green to Knutsford don't seem so straight-forward, and expensive, if the site I checked with was accurate.

Personally I'd be more inclined to go for Heald Green than some of other areas mentioned. Prefer to be closer on the Manchester side of things. Always found Knutsford a bit of a chore to get to from any direction. With you on the renting suggestion and your thoughts on supply.

Edited by Venger

Hi all thanks for the suggestions yes Manchester side would be best really as have friends in Manchester I don't really know anyone the other side so I'd much prefer to be closer if I could . Il check out heald green anywhere else ? Thanks again

Depends a lot on how you plan to get to work in Knutsford. Train to Knutsford stops at Stockport, Navigation Rd and Altrincham. Heald Green will be no good if you plan to commute by train. If you plan on driving then Altrincham/Timperley are good options as are Cheadle, Cheadle Hulme, Gatley and Heald Green. Some parts of Handforth are OK as well. We have lived in Cheadle Hulme for the past few years and find it to be a lovely spot. Just be careful with agent listings that sometimes claim a property is in Cheadle Hulme when it is more like Adswood.

Hi thanks il be driving so transport links aren't a priority in terms of trains ... I forgot to add I need to buy this year really as il be going fully self employed from September And I know it's a nightmare to get. Mortgage when self employed so need to hurry up and decide and look ! Il have a look at cheadle though thank you x

Hi thanks il be driving so transport links aren't a priority in terms of trains ... I forgot to add I need to buy this year really as il be going fully self employed from September And I know it's a nightmare to get. Mortgage when self employed so need to hurry up and decide and look ! Il have a look at cheadle though thank you x

Good luck.

Hi I'm 33 year old woman looking to buy in south Manchester. I work in knutsford so anywhere within reasonable travel distance. I only have around £155k to spend so I'm aware that doesn't get me a great deal but as long as it's safe and in an ok area . I prefer old and characterful Rather than new build but open to suggestion ! I not from Manchester so I'm totally ignorant on areas but I went to view a couple last week that said they were timperely altrincham but they definitely seemed more wynthenshaw area !!!

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated !

X

Maybe Heaton Mersey, although that's starting to get quite far round the M60 from Altrincham. Northenden has a conservation area so may have some old style houses you would like, although you might consider it too close to Wythenshawe. Gatley could also be an option.

Just be careful about how long it will take you to drive to Knutsford in the morning however, as some of these places can look close on the map but the traffic can add a lot of time.

Just be careful about how long it will take you to drive to Knutsford in the morning however, as some of these places can look close on the map but the traffic can add a lot of time.

If you're commuting Manchester to Knutsford won't you be going against most of the traffic?

How about a flat?

As others have said, supply is depressingly low and asking prices pushing all time highs.

Estate agents seem very busy and this generally means things are pants for buyers.

If I were you I'd be considering Heald Green (if you don't mind the planes)

I passed by this place on Finney Lane just the other week. It being on a row of shops. There's a pic of the store-front in Stockport Express.

Shop teen tied up in raid terror

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/stockport-teenager-tied-up-during-6711959

Local newspapers just seem full of these kinds of robberies, in recent months. Next page 'Shock as shop shuts' detailing how a well-used Spar store in Davenport mysteriously closed, with sign saying 'Due to unforeseen circumstances this shop is closed until further notice'..... a Davenport resident said "I am concerned as there are a lot of elderly people in the area who reply on the Spar for their weekly shop as there is no supermarket in walking distance." -- That's just a few doors down from the RBS which got hit twice in a couple of weeks in robberies last year, or year before.

Only mention it because small things like local convenience store(s) in my mind if/when come to buy a home.

Wanted to follow up my post above with a suggestion, but am just stumped to beat what's already been suggested.

Thinking South Wilmslow myself, but that sort of budget doesn't cut it for a house in this market.

Except for the odd exception, if willing to compromise. Not old and characterful... not so pretty at all, but v-good area, although I've no idea what living is like within that v-small (ex-LA?) estate in this very good area: http://www.rightmove...y-27599631.html

Edited by Venger

I passed by this place on Finney Lane just the other week. It being on a row of shops. There's a pic of the store-front in Stockport Express.

Shop teen tied up in raid terror

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/stockport-teenager-tied-up-during-6711959

Local newspapers just seem full of these kinds of robberies, in recent months. Next page 'Shock as shop shuts' detailing how a well-used Spar store in Davenport mysteriously closed, with sign saying 'Due to unforeseen circumstances this shop is closed until further notice'..... a Davenport resident said "I am concerned as there are a lot of elderly people in the area who reply on the Spar for their weekly shop as there is no supermarket in walking distance." -- That's just a few doors down from the RBS which got hit twice in a couple of weeks in robberies last year, or year before.

Only mention it because small things like local convenience store(s) in my mind if/when come to buy a home.

There's another convenience store a bit further along the road. Speaking to some other people in the area the rumour about the Spar seems to be that the franchise owner has vanished (and some other rumours that suggest he's done a runner).