House Price Crash Forum

Laptop Just Died

Kurt Barlow

HOLA441

My Sony Viao has just died after 3.5 years. I am a bit disappointed however I need to bear in mind it has been to Saudi Arabia and halfway around Australia and Europe. I managed to recover all the data but now it wont even start so time for a replacement I think. I have just got back from a gas plant near Darwin and I wonder whether the humidity was the final killer? I have an old netbook back in the UK that I may resurrect for shitty work placements - Im off to Timor in April....

I have decided against another Viao. My usage is mainly internet, Skype, youtube videos, research (uni website). I have currently borrowed my girlfriends Toshiba which seems reasonable.

Criteria

I don't want to spend more than about 1000 quid equivalent

I like a large screen and spaced out keys as I'm a bit cack handed

Not a great fan of touchscreen

As I said I'm using a borrowed Toshiba which seems quite nice (views welcome)

Suggestions greatly received :)

Same happened to me last month and I got a new HP Envy 19 inch screen ( not touch) and I am rather happy with it so far

HOLA442

My policy is always buy the cheapest one from Argos or Staples whatever the make, on the basis that technology moves on sufficiently that my £350 one is an £800 one from five years back. Not had a problem.

Not so far off my approach ...

... until ...

... the crap trackpad on a cheapo HP pavilion made it clear I should've spent the extra.

Display and sound quality also show up in cheap vs expensive. The pavilion's display (and sound) are not a patch on the macbook from 8 years earlier.

HOLA443

Why not another Vaio? They'll be blowing them out if they're being sold off.

I'm in to my 4th year with my i5 and im happy enough.

Have had it apart to hoover out the dust a couple of times, they are prone to overheating, but for the £549 i gave Sony direct i got good value. 15 " screen i5 4mb RAM.

I got a silver one with white keyboard so it even looks like a macbook if that matters......

I use Dell laptops for presentations at work, and i think they have upped their game in the last few years.

Samsungs dont tend to last that well.

HOLA444

Thanks for all the comments.

Looks like I have a solution. The OH is going to buy a Mac book Pro and I'm going to buy her 18 month old Toshiba L850D. That way I have a consultant on hand to deal with any Toshiba problems. She can learn 'Mac' in time for when I buy one in 2-3 years time :D

The Sony is Donald Ducked. It won't even switch on.

HOLA445

Similarly, none of the laptops are actually insured to go out of the building - and to start with beyond a couple of Windows RT tablets in the pool - there was nothing 30 staff were allowed to take out of the building for meetings with clients etc. Ended up ponying up for an actual insured laptop for the entire department out of my own team budget - because I was the only person who thought that might prove a problem.

Same as our laptops, apparently if you lose it or it gets nicked you have to claim on your own household insurance, how we all laughed at that one.

Secondly we have a dongle thingy that generates a unique code which is used to log on remotely, the Council then wanted to bill us £80 if it was lost/nicked. Net result was that we all refused to sign for one until they changed the policy.

HOLA446

Thanks for all the comments.

Looks like I have a solution. The OH is going to buy a Mac book Pro and I'm going to buy her 18 month old Toshiba L850D. That way I have a consultant on hand to deal with any Toshiba problems. She can learn 'Mac' in time for when I buy one in 2-3 years time :D

The Sony is Donald Ducked. It won't even switch on.

Dispose of it in a responsible way! Maybe China wants it back? :blink:

HOLA447

Dell laptop: nightmare, never again! Just goes to show, we have very different experiences.

Not my experience.

I'm a software developer and have used 2 (1 backup) identical dell d830 laptops for over 5 years and counting. Dual-core, 3GB, 1680 resolution, pc express card slot, firewire, great speakers, cheap accessories like docking station and can swap DVD out for an accessory bay drive or battery + built like a tank. What's not to like? It's the best money i ever spent on computers.

I'm only now thinking of upgrading, mainly for 64 bit and extra ram.

HOLA448

Not my experience.

I'm a software developer and have used 2 (1 backup) identical dell d830 laptops for over 5 years and counting. Dual-core, 3GB, 1680 resolution, pc express card slot, firewire, great speakers, cheap accessories like docking station and can swap DVD out for an accessory bay drive or battery + built like a tank. What's not to like? It's the best money i ever spent on computers.

I'm only now thinking of upgrading, mainly for 64 bit and extra ram.

We get Dells at work. I always found them to be entirely adequate, although I got a "budget" saleman's one with a not so high definition screen! :o

Archived