OnionTerror

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I'm not sure myself, I think they're a bit flat compared to the,230.

Do you really want to put up with the starting foibles and chronic fuel and oil consumption and high tax and not get the performance you could?

I keep on seeing them on making this sort of money, and I personally think its a lots of car for what you get...I was tempted, until I saw the tax...I suspect the "lower tax threshold" ones make better dosh...

I've sort of narrowed it down to three for me: Seat Leon FR, Saab 93 Aero or Alfa 147...

HOLA448

Is it one of the rotary *****el engined thingies.

There is an NSU RO80 abandoned up near me, I have pics!

Yes, I seem to think they're notorious for worn rotor tips leading to compression loss and have dire fuel economy to match.

For all the much vaunted Japanese reliability a lot of their engines are built with metal soft as cheese and wear badly. They don't build them to last because of their MOT regime, I believe.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I keep on seeing them on making this sort of money, and I personally think its a lots of car for what you get...I was tempted, until I saw the tax...I suspect the "lower tax threshold" ones make better dosh...

I've sort of narrowed it down to three for me: Seat Leon FR, Saab 93 Aero or Alfa 147...

I don't think fuel economy on the Saabs is great, not for these days anyway, we had them once as company cars.

HOLA4411

I don't think fuel economy on the Saabs is great, not for these days anyway, we had them once as company cars.

Roughly 38mpg

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/saab/9-3/saloon-2002/37681/

I did have an initial worry with their close relationship with the Vectra, as I believe they share something like a quarter or a third of parts...

HOLA4412

Roughly 38mpg

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/saab/9-3/saloon-2002/37681/

I did have an initial worry with their close relationship with the Vectra, as I believe they share something like a quarter or a third of parts...

That might not be a bad thing for parts given what's happened with Saab. Think they started production again but bet parts support isn't what it was.

The Saabs definitely had worse fuel consumption than what they replaced but can't remember what that they replaced, might have been Audis.

HOLA4413

Roughly 38mpg

http://www.parkers.c...oon-2002/37681/

Engine gearbox and runing gear plus floor pan/shell are vectra lights inerior and body panels bumpers ...etc are sabb

HOLA4414

70k miles is well into rebuild territory. The rotary engine has to be well maintained, the apex seals wear down and they gradually lose compression. Although a 2 grand rebuild will see another 60k miles. Great cars but the 190 version is less desirable.

HOLA4415

70k miles is well into rebuild territory. The rotary engine has to be well maintained, the apex seals wear down and they gradually lose compression. Although a 2 grand rebuild will see another 60k miles. Great cars but the 190 version is less desirable.

70,000 miles, and the engine needs a rebuild? really? Seems potty to me...I remember at the time, when they came out, numerous people were raving about them..

HOLA4416

70,000 miles, and the engine needs a rebuild? really? Seems potty to me...I remember at the time, when they came out, numerous people were raving about them..

Yup and why so many NSU Ro80's ended up getting Ford Corsair V4 engine conversions (in itself a pretty poor engine) which was also a crying shame

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Plenty of RX8s around for cheap money although this one looks like a bargain despite it being the 190.

I think not everyone is aware of the reduced tax bill for the earlier examples and perhaps people bid assuming it is the £400+ annual VED charge, the advert doesn't mention it.

Doubtless the new owner will be having some fun at that price.

Edit the rate of disappearance is given here for the 190, about a 13% of them in six years since peak (although the earliest examples are now a decade old): The numbers SORNed is rising, some of them might be broken awaiting repair:

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mazda_rx-8_192_ps

230::

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mazda_mazda_rx-8_231_ps

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Yes the Ford V4 unit seemed a bit underwhelming. I wonder if the Buick V8 engine (used in 1960s-80s Rovers) would go into a Ro80?

Doesn't look to be a lot of room in RO80 engine bay, hence the V4 conversion

Here Quentin whatsisname claims they sorted out the Rotary engine problems, and ideally should only be used for long journeys and be driven as 'fast as possible.'

HOLA4421

The UK Ford V4 used in the Corsair, and "budget" Zephyr was indeed a rotten engine! The German made V4 used in the Taunus, and 70's SAABs, was a right little whizzer!

My 1972 SAAB was smashing! :huh:

Although those Mazdas look inexpensive, I imagine they could empty your wallet faster than it empties its tank. :blink:

HOLA4422

Roughly 38mpg

I've got a saab 93, it's a good car not really missed a beat in the 4 years I've had it. The 2.0l is more fuel efficient than the V6.

HOLA4423

I've got a saab 93, it's a good car not really missed a beat in the 4 years I've had it. The 2.0l is more fuel efficient than the V6.

I have driven one of those! My last SAAB was made in 1981. ;)

HOLA4424

The RX8 engines are pretty reliable. The only real issue is flooding when the engine is shut down cold. It's due to rich running on startup and the rotary engine being unable to drain fuel from the combustion chambers like a conventional piston engine can. That was mostly solved by a dealer ECU update and it's not a big deal if does happen. The rotor tips don't cause any problems. Just make sure the plugs and coils are replaced regularly and the engine uses a fair amount of (cheap) oil so needs regular top-ups. Apart from that its a cracking engine if a little thirsty. Get an older low tax car or get yourself declared disabled!

The previous gen RX7 did need regular rebuilds but had the compensation of enormous turbocharged performance. It's a genuine modern classic put you need the wallet to support it.

Archived