House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

macbeth79

Syngenta Targeted Scientist Over Findings That Herbicide Caused Sexual Deformities

According to a new report in the New Yorker, agribusiness giant Syngenta waged an underhanded campaign to destroy scientist Tyrone Hayes after his research showed that the company’s lucrative herbicide, atrazine, impeded sexual development in frogs. Atrazine is an extremely popular herbicide and is reportedly applied to more than half the corn in the United States. Corn has become one of the most widely used crops in the United States making its way into numerous products in the consumer market in the form of high fructose corn syrup. Syngenta’s atrazine is the one of the most widely used herbicides in America with around $300 million in annual sales – second only to Monsanto’s glyphosate.

http://news.firedoglake.com/2014/02/07/syngenta-targeted-scientist-over-findings-that-herbicide-caused-sexual-deformities/

Worrying.

Endocrine-disruptor tastic. There's a lot of it about.

though I believe atrazine has been banned in the EU for a while now.

I read the original New Yorker piece and, without sticking up for Syngenta, it does read like Dr Hayes was doing his bit to scare himself.

Forest Whittaker's a shoe-in for the movie adaptation.

But do we ban high fructose corn syrup as an ingredient in a lot of our food?

I'm not sure if its banned as such but I don't believe it's widely used, for now.

The concerns over atrazine seem to focus on it running into the water supply rather than being taken up into the crops it's sprayed on.

though there is this somewhat unsettling study, which is all very interesting but of not much practical use if the herbicide in question makes your balls shrink...

In 2009, University of Tennessee Department of Plant Sciences researchers found the combination of the herbicides mesotrione and atrazine can make sweet corn more nutritious.

I've never used atrazine but I have used glyphosate a few times and it's spooky stuff impo.

Spray it on some foliage and the plants can look right as rain for days or even weeks as they are effectively growing themselves to death, and then they die, from tip to root.

This stuff arguably has its place but I doubt that place is being routinely sprayed in large quantities on our food supply, or anything else's food supply come to think of it.