House Price Crash Forum

Bloke With 60+ Oyster Card Says It Isn't Right

HOLA441
HOLA442

Rather disturbing when you see a mother with three kids forking out a fortune for a bus ride; if they could afford a car I am sure the mother wouldn't be putting herself through it. Meanwhile he hits the nail on the head when he says there were times in his youth when he needed money, but not now.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I am sick of these smug arseholes moaning about every non-means tested benefit that they can afford not to take. HE STILL TAKES IT. I trust he makes charitable donations of this amount. I have an income of just over half the average wage but have paid my share of higher rate tax in better times. This 'perk' has existed throughout my living memory, but will no doubt be withdrawn before I should be eligible in 3 years.

HOLA445

Rather disturbing when you see a mother with three kids forking out a fortune for a bus ride; if they could afford a car I am sure the mother wouldn't be putting herself through it. Meanwhile he hits the nail on the head when he says there were times in his youth when he needed money, but not now.

I live under 2 miles from the centre of Chester; the bus costs not far off £1/mile travelled. I don't bother using it, although I was on crutches for a while last year so had little choice but to stump up.

I don't think many people would argue with the virtue of elderly people being given a free pass, but there are plenty of people who, like the author of the piece above, don't need it.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I live under 2 miles from the centre of Chester; the bus costs not far off £1/mile travelled. I don't bother using it, although I was on crutches for a while last year so had little choice but to stump up.

I don't think many people would argue with the virtue of elderly people being given a free pass, but there are plenty of people who, like the author of the piece above, don't need it.

A bit out dated classing people as elderly at 60. Medically stamina can improve up to about age 60, these are often the super long distance record holders Lands End to John O'Groats etc. Our best long distance ultra runner is a grey haired granny in her 50s.

http://www.sharongayter.com/

And this 60 something couple hold the record for the longest stamina event ever...........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10545857/Vegans-powered-by-raw-food-complete-year-of-daily-marathons.html

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I am sick of these smug arseholes moaning about every non-means tested benefit that they can afford not to take. HE STILL TAKES IT. I trust he makes charitable donations of this amount. I have an income of just over half the average wage but have paid my share of higher rate tax in better times. This 'perk' has existed throughout my living memory, but will no doubt be withdrawn before I should be eligible in 3 years.

Funny I was just thinking that. I'm only a few years from drawing this 'perk' myself (I don't live in London but there are I think similar schemes up North) but suspect it will be withdrawn as soon as I reach 60.

I really hope modern buses and trains have Wifi, so I can spend all day long visiting Bridlington and Scarborough whilst connected on my tablet.

There are other fiddles though. Don't students get cheaper travel? Also an acquaintance in London has free travel, he's not over 60, or for that matter not 'unwell' so can only assume he's a secret job seeker.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4412

I have mixed views on this. The few times I use the bus it's in the evening and the bus is about a quarter full. An empty seat on a bus is a wasted seat. Seems silly to have people that would like to pop into town but is put off buy the cost of the fare.

HOLA4413

I have mixed views on this. The few times I use the bus it's in the evening and the bus is about a quarter full. An empty seat on a bus is a wasted seat. Seems silly to have people that would like to pop into town but is put off buy the cost of the fare.

Like some others on here I just walk. 7 miles already this mornings, covered 2970 miles last year. I would like universal bus passes but maybe my fitness would suffer.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Like some others on here I just walk. 7 miles already this mornings, covered 2970 miles last year. I would like universal bus passes but maybe my fitness would suffer.

I walk and cycle too, and would get very fat if I didn't. Wouldn't even consider a bus journey of less than 3 miles and carry all my shopping too in a big army ruck sack.

But it would be handy to go slightly further afield or when the weather is bad/windy and cycling is basically unsafe.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4416

Buses should be free for all, or for none, impo. Better to subsidise them so they are affordable for all. Surely wealthy people would rather drive or get a cab anyway...

They are free for everybody unless you die before your 60

HOLA4417

I walk and cycle too, and would get very fat if I didn't. Wouldn't even consider a bus journey of less than 3 miles and carry all my shopping too in a big army ruck sack.

But it would be handy to go slightly further afield or when the weather is bad/windy and cycling is basically unsafe.

There is something to be said about charging transport at cost for people that live in places too far to walk to town, too far to walk to work......for people especially the young who can't get a job/sign on/get to the shops or into town because the public transport is very poor, a bus once a week or three changes and you miss the only bus home or the last connection you are still many miles from home....cycling for some is impossible and very unsafe.........the cost of a car is out of the question for those without a decent job.

......no transport no job.....no job no transport. ;)

HOLA4418

The GLC introduced London-wide free bus travel for pensioners in 1973, under its Labour leader Reg Goodwin

60 year olds aren't pensioners.

Edit: also the 60+ Oyster card doesn't just cover bus fares, but also all tube and national rail out to zone 6, including at peak times.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It would cost more to implement than it would save. Been looked at many times.

.....fine....cancel it for all.....then those who are entitled to pension credits or other pension benefits because their pension is not a living wage pension can get the extra bits.....easy. ;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I have mixed feelings on this after a very elderly driver wrote off my car. It was a red vehicle, on a clear day, at noon on a straight road. We were stopped at a temporary traffic light. He claimed he didn't see us. I actually believe him. Having mashed up both our vehicles, he did admit it was all his own fault (probably a reflection of his generation's values). There was no way somebody who looked as decrepit as he did with such obviously poor eyesight should have been behind the wheel of a car. If it wasn't for free bus passes, how many more like him would be on the road?

(incidentally and veering off-topic, i was taken aback with the vast sums of money thrown at us because we had 48 hours of whiplash)

Edited by rantnrave

HOLA4424

What tends to be forgotten is that things like free pensioner bus passes are primarily an urban benefit

If you live in a rural area you may be entitled to free travel but often there are no few or buses on which to use the perk and when they do run they are not suprisingly timed to get people to work so leave when the pensioner discount is not available.

In fact the whole benefit system from JSA through to pensioner travel is designed around townies while making life difficult for people who live in more remote areas

Of course whart will happen if free bus passes for pensioners are removed is not that people will have lower bus fares but they will have fewer buses since the perk is really a disguised subsidy to the bus companies

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA4425

What tends to be forgotten is that things like free pensioner bus passes are primarily an urban benefit

If you live in a rural area you may be entitled to free travel but often there are no few or buses on which to use the perk and when they do run they are not suprisingly timed to get people to work so leave when the pensioner discount is not available.

In fact the whole benefit system from JSA through to pensioner travel is designed around townies while making life difficult for people who live in more remote areas

If you don't live in a large town you are not important enough, not worth spending money on....only have to ask those who are living on the levels and surrounding areas......doesn't take much, but costs far more in the end by ignoring the problems.....in more ways than one. ;)