House Price Crash Forum

Homes Under The Hammer - Blonde Developer

olliegog

HOLA441

caught a bit of HUTH this morning - well it was cold and wet outside and the dog could wait for his walk but was appalled by one part-time property developer who is chancing her arm at 'making a killing'

this is the property now for sale at £249.950 (in spite of EAs suggesting sub 200K on the program - and they always overestimate)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43720595.html?premiumA=true

the thing was she did not read the legal pack - she had not intended to buy this flat and had SO MANY legal packs to read.

she purchased for £124k I think as the sting in the tail was that the service charge was £5k a year and no parking but thought she had snapped up a bargain.

spent around £20K gussying it up (looked OK to me) with the usual refurb and is now trying to sell at just shy of £250k :o

as far as I could gather the roof terrace was not for the flat's sole use and there was no parking but the blurb suggests roof terrace and parking both included :unsure:

final aggravation - she project managed her 'team of builders' from her holiday home in Spain.

aaargh - must stop watching this program.

HOLA442

caught a bit of HUTH this morning - well it was cold and wet outside and the dog could wait for his walk but was appalled by one part-time property developer who is chancing her arm at 'making a killing'

this is the property now for sale at £249.950 (in spite of EAs suggesting sub 200K on the program - and they always overestimate)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43720595.html?premiumA=true

the thing was she did not read the legal pack - she had not intended to buy this flat and had SO MANY legal packs to read.

she purchased for £124k I think as the sting in the tail was that the service charge was £5k a year and no parking but thought she had snapped up a bargain.

spent around £20K gussying it up (looked OK to me) with the usual refurb and is now trying to sell at just shy of £250k :o

as far as I could gather the roof terrace was not for the flat's sole use and there was no parking but the blurb suggests roof terrace and parking both included :unsure:

final aggravation - she project managed her 'team of builders' from her holiday home in Spain.

Did you catch the date of the auction? Always interesting to know.

£5K a year SC! Quite enough to put most buyers off, I should have thought. Don't think Folkestone is exactly renowned for its hordes of those to whom £5K is but small change.

HOLA443

she bought in summer 2013 - LR shows it sold for £124K - so she is looking for 80K profit.

very rarely do any of these properties go to real 'looking for a home' buyer but in this program there was a youngish buyer who was 'so excited' with her 3 bed semi in Derby - a refreshing change.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I hate it when the focus moves away from the property in question and bit like this are dropped into the script to hint at the 'developer's' lifestyle. :angry:

Looks like a nice flat. I don't even mind the open plan kitchen as it just opens out onto the hallway not the lounge. But with £5k service charge costs it would put me off buying it at any price.

HOLA446
What the Owner says:

Having developed many properties, this we must say has been an absolute favourite.

We are delighted that our plans, modernisation and refurbishment of this stunning apartment has been an outstanding success that we are very proud of.

The fact that this spacious apartment is on the seafront with lifts for easy access and an option of parking in such a wonderful location has made going that extra mile with the finish worthwhile.

We are confident that the luxury finishes we have gone for will be appreciated by the right buyer who is looking for the very best. We believe this apartment is very special and I am sure the new owner will love every minute of being here.

Sounds like the "parking option" is available as an added extra. Bet thats bloody pricy.

HOLA447

Someone BUYING a home to LIVE in? How quaint.

Does happen fairly often on HUTH. You even get the new owners saying they're not really interested in the valuations, since they're going to be living in it and it was never about making a profit.

Hard to believe this sort of heresy is not edited out, I know. Once or twice I have even seen the presenters all excited that some particularly nice but decrepit house is still going to be a family home, and not split into flats or bulldozed to make way for half a dozen rabbit hutches.

Edited by Mrs Bear

• 5 months later...
HOLA448

spent around £20K gussying it up (looked OK to me) with the usual refurb and is now trying to sell at just shy of £250k ohmy.gif

Still for sale.

There's a 3 bed in same building to rent, for £850pm. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-45528280.html

If I were older I might quite like renting in the other building that fronts on to the sea-view, again, although again a 3-bed which is less use in retirment. Sold STC at asking price £250,000. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29133921.html?premiumA=true

What the Owner says:

My father absolutely loved living here. The neighbours are so nice and welcoming. Obviously the huge benefit to this apartment is its wonderful location. To be able to just nip downstairs and have the whole High Street at your feet is amazing. It was a fantastic way for my father to stay active with so much to do and so easily accessible.

The views are to die for. Every time I walk in to that lounge I am amazed at how wonderful that scenery really is; a really delightful place to be.

Others in the postcode including Express Agency/Countrywide Auctions http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?searchType=SALE&locationIdentifier=POSTCODE^192685

• 1 month later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410

There's a nice indian restaurant below, does a good buffer on a Sunday.

In general Folkestone is a $hithole, much like many of the costal areas of Kent. 250k would buy you a reasonable house in the quieter parts of Folkestone, Caple-le-fern or alike, so I cant see anyone buying a flat there for that much.

Our fat friend Wilson lives nearby, so might be interested :0 - oh that's right he does not buy flats because you don;t get the capital appreciation.

About 10 years ago, a few hundred yards up the road was a nice family amusement park with a wooden roller coaster then that other fat fecker Jimmy Godden burnt it down, like he did with the Margate Dreamland.

Thinking about it, that was probably the worst part of Folkestone to buy in since the seaside area is in long term decline and now being used for car boot sales etc. If you has to speculate on property then you'de be safer changing your arm up top near to Leas Cliff Hall.

• 7 months later...
HOLA4411

07/04/2015

• Price changed: from '£249,995' to '£260,000'

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

caught a bit of HUTH this morning - well it was cold and wet outside and the dog could wait for his walk but was appalled by one part-time property developer who is chancing her arm ...

So the dog was appalled, but you seem to have kept watching? Simple, put your dog in charge of the remote.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Well it's only fair. I mean, she'll have paid 2 lots of service charges by now and money doesn't grow on trees, you know!

:lol:

So a year later it fails find a buyer. The lease is one year shorter and the asking price has increased by £10k.

Some of these idiots think they can defy logic! <_<

HOLA4416
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4417