House Price Crash Forum

Police Will Have 'backdoor' Access To Health Records Despite Opt-Out, Says Mp

HOLA441

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/feb/06/police-backdoor-access-nhs-health-records

The database that will store the entire nation's health records has a series of "backdoors" that will allow police and government bodies to access people's medical data.

David Davis MP, a former shadow home secretary, told the Guardian he has established that police will be able to access the health records of patients when investigating serious crimes even if they had opted out of the new database, which will hold the entire population's medical data in a single repository for the first time from May.

In the past, Davis said, police would need to track down the GP who held a suspect's records and go to court for a disclosure order. Now, they would be able to simply approach the new arms-length NHS information centre, which will hold the records. "The idea that police will be able to request information from a central database without a warrant totally undermines a long-held belief in the confidentiality of the doctor-patient relationship," he said.

The records will include mental health conditions, drugs prescribed, as well as smoking and drinking habits – and will be created from GP records and linked to hospital records. Ministers have defended the incoming system – which supporters say could bring huge benefits to care and research – saying it has mechanisms to de-identify records and a series of committees which will consider requests from thinktanks, businesses, universities and government bodies, as well as offering opt-outs for patients concerned about the use of their data.

But opting out of data sharing outside the NHS will not prevent records being sucked up and state agencies in some cases will be able to get access to them.

Big Brother is watching.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I guess this news is to make people think 'Hey ho, no point even bothering opting out then.'

Maybe true, but I'm going to do it anyway. I'm sure the insurance companies will get access to the data eventually, but the longer it takes them to access mine the better!

HOLA446
HOLA447

Did you receive anything to allow you to opt out? We have had nothing. Am I supposed to go to the GP surgery to tell them? Has anybody else had anything through the post?

Same here I have not had the option so how do i go about opting out ?

Is this just NHS England or is it country wide http://www.nhs.uk/NH.../care-data.aspx

Edit : ok found it (opy out form) http://www.nhscarerecords.nhs.uk/optout/optout.pdf

HOLA448

Opting Out. (CareData thread)

See medConfidential.org.

You will need to visit your GP (no appointment [with doctor] needed), receptionist will give you a form. Fill in basic details, tick opt-out box (mine had two options 1 - keep info for use at surgery only; 2 - allow use by Health body only (not third party). Best tick option 1 ;) ).

Two codes will be added to your records keeping them 'private' and off the database. Receptionist told me she had opted out - imagine those in the know are.

Link above has info and opt-out forms. This needs to be done by the end of the month.

HOLA449

Opting Out. (CareData thread)

See medConfidential.org.

You will need to visit your GP (no appointment [with doctor] needed), receptionist will give you a form. Fill in basic details, tick opt-out box (mine had two options 1 - keep info for use at surgery only; 2 - allow use by Health body only (not third party). Best tick option 1 ;) ).

Two codes will be added to your records keeping them 'private' and off the database. Receptionist told me she had opted out - imagine those in the know are.

Link above has info and opt-out forms. This needs to be done by the end of the month.

Bloody wonderful, no idea how the hell I'm going to manage that then. Proposing anything like this which is opt-in by default is criminal. I suppose the best chance I've got is that when / if I do eventually re-register I'll have to make it too much hassle to dig out the old records and just start again.

HOLA4410

Bloody wonderful, no idea how the hell I'm going to manage that then. Proposing anything like this which is opt-in by default is criminal. I suppose the best chance I've got is that when / if I do eventually re-register I'll have to make it too much hassle to dig out the old records and just start again.

You need to contact your last GP they will have your records OPT out through them I would guess (due to time scale) then register with a new GP, the new GP will arrange transfer of records as it means £££££££ for them

HOLA4411

Did you receive anything to allow you to opt out? We have had nothing. Am I supposed to go to the GP surgery to tell them? Has anybody else had anything through the post?

I think it was 2-3 years ago when 'the spine' was first being pushed through, when I was registering at a new GP surgery. I thought all that central data repository stuff had been abandoned, but apparently not.

HOLA4412

You need to contact your last GP they will have your records OPT out through them I would guess (due to time scale) then register with a new GP, the new GP will arrange transfer of records as it means £££££££ for them

Unfortunately not practical, if I've got to go in person. I'm wondering what I could get away with if I try "can't remember old details, lost card years ago" with a new GP. I suppose the surgery hung on to the records even though I told them at the time I was moving.

HOLA4413

I think it was 2-3 years ago when 'the spine' was first being pushed through, when I was registering at a new GP surgery. I thought all that central data repository stuff had been abandoned, but apparently not.

I was just wondering about this. I gave the Summary Care Record opt-out form to my GP a few years ago but my son did not as I couldn't persuade him that it was a

bad idea at that time. Since this new data upload has come to light he now wants to opt out of any of his details being on a national database.

So, were the Summary Care Records actually uploaded?

Does the care.data opt out cover the above as well or will he have to request seperately that his Summary Care Records are removed (which I believe you can do)?

http://www.nhscarerecords.nhs.uk/optout/optout.pdf

HOLA4414

You can write to the GP. There is an opt-out standard letter at my link above ('How to Opt Out' right column) - you would need to send it to your last doctor (where your records reside).

HOLA4415

Unfortunately not practical, if I've got to go in person. I'm wondering what I could get away with if I try "can't remember old details, lost card years ago" with a new GP. I suppose the surgery hung on to the records even though I told them at the time I was moving.

Find your old GPs details fill in this form http://www.nhscarere...tout/optout.pdf and mail it to them (email or post) with a letter explaining your circumstances and contact details ?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Whilst there are clear reasons why people would not want to be part of a database, are there benefits too?

Such as constructing links between ailments. Being able to select people to invite for clinical trials. Being contactable if you are high risk of a particular ailment.

I would think availability of instant acsess for an A&E department would be the main one,

HOLA4418

Whilst there are clear reasons why people would not want to be part of a database, are there benefits too?

Such as constructing links between ailments. Being able to select people to invite for clinical trials. Being contactable if you are high risk of a particular ailment.

Personally, I prefer to take as much responsibility as I can for my own health and don't require others to do it for me. I carry my own 'summary care details' so should I be incapable of telling anyone of my situation the info is ready available when they look for my ID which I always carry.

I can see that the database would be useful for clinical trials so if I should get a life threatening/terminal disease I may reconsider.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Whilst there are undoubtedly genuine good reasons why all the data would be useful the problem is entirely in making individual's data available to whoever without consent (and presumed consent unless you say otherwise is most definitely *not* consent).

HOLA4421

Find your old GPs details fill in this form http://www.nhscarere...tout/optout.pdf and mail it to them (email or post) with a letter explaining your circumstances and contact details ?

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try, in the unlikely event that I can even find the relevent details. Minus the contact details bit at any rate (it's my health so I'll chose to contact them, they don't need to know how to contact me unless it's for something I've specifically requested).

HOLA4422

Once the Tories have broken up the NHS this data will presumably be sold off to all the US healthcare providers.

(via the back door of course)

Not sure exactly what you mean, the way I understand it private companies will be able to buy up your personal medical data from the word go.

There is even a price list outlining how much companies will have to pay (varying depending on whether they want personally identifiable /confidential information or not).

How much is your medical record worth: Linky

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Archived