House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

The Ukraine Chernobyl Thread

The media coverage is strange. In the film "When the wind blows" and also "The day after" it is the same, random radio items about "talks breaking down" in places that most Americans or Brits have never heard of. Then all of a sudden the missiles are launched!

It's interesting to consider that these days of internet, twitter, mobile phones and due to immigration we might actually know people in these countries. We are also able to check facts and sources, something that during the Cold War would involve a trip to a library. Therefore most people would accept the BBC version of events.

I get the feeling that the game really is up and TPTB really need a serious war to a) cull the population B) justify their existence c) make technology advances d) remind the little people the importance of tax and how lucky they are.

Despite Ukraine being called a war zone on the radio yesterday today there didn't seem to be any reference to such a thing. When Ukraine was mentioned the news seemed to be concentrating on the possibility of sanctions and on hostage exchange negotiations - of course there was a lot of sport on today.

Probably because nothing particularly dramatic has happened (AFAIK).

Kiev are amassing 15k forces around Slavyansk, meanwhile both sides are taking journalists and supposedly impartial third parties hostage on the presumption that they are spies. The East Ukrainians are reported to be using theirs as human shields.. Which is probably true.

In parallel with this the Eastern Ukrainians have captured 3 of Kiev's special forces in Donesk who were reportedly on mission to surgically eliminate some of the head resistance fighters.

In the background the Russians and US are both saying one thing and doing another.. and despite Kiev doing all they can to escalate a confrontation they are nervously just tinkering around the edges for now.

Oh, and the US are threatening to put a few more people on the naught list.

That's about the best summary I could give for anyone who doesn't have time to read every article.

Edited by libspero

. . . despite Kiev doing all they can to escalate a confrontation

I think here Kiev has been fairly successful. It has created a wonderful diversion from the parlous state of its economy.

The acting president said recently, 'We need real support from America, financial, economic, military . . . '. Well, if you pi$$ off your major trading partner, creditor and energy supplier all at the same time . . . and while being bankrupt . . . who else is going to pay the bills. EU taxpayers and markets will never fill this gap.

Of course, it was and still is called Euromaidan and people waved blue and gold flags, not the stars and stripes. A minor detail.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-26/satellite-images-reveal-massing-15000-ukraine-troops-hundreds-tanks-around-slavyansk

Yesterday, we jokingly noted that with separatists blockading Slavyansk from a Ukraine special-forces invasion, and with the Ukraine army blockading Slavyansk from said separatists (unclear exactly why), that the east Ukraine city of Slavyansk is easily the most blocked city in the world (and in dire need of fiber). However, based on just released satellite imagery showing the build up of Ukraine forces around Slavyansk - a city which as a reminder is located in Ukraine - what is going on around Slavyansk is no laughing matter.

Russian RIA Novosti reports that it has received satellite photos, "which clearly show the accumulation of a large number of Ukrainian military equipment and weapons on the border with the Russian Federation and in the vicinity of Slavyasnk." RIA cites a source in the Russian Defense Ministry, who commented that the pictures show a military formation designed "to wipe out the city and all its inhabitants from the face of the earth."

According to source, the group has more than 15,000 troops from the Ukraine army and national guard, about 160 tanks, 230 infantry fighting vehicles and APCs, and as much as 150 mortars, howitzers and multiple launch rocket systems ("Grad" and "Smerch").

The source concludes that "This concentration of troops in one area is not compatible with the potential of self-defense forces, armed with only a small number of pistols and submachine guns."

It does appear we are slowly heading towards war.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraines-other-crisis-living-in-the-shadow-of-chernobyl--where-victims-receive-just-9p-a-month-and-the-cemeteries-are-the-size-of-cities-9293832.html

The yellow and blue flag of Ukraine is an imaginary landscape. It supposedly symbolizes the endless fields and blue skies of a Ukrainian rural idyll.

Gazing north near the border with Chernobyl, one can be forgiven for being taken in by this fantasy; the yellow unploughed fields stretching out to the horizon. The illusion is broken however, by a distant strip of green conifer trees and disused pylons where the sky meets the earth. Beyond these trees lies the Exclusion Zone.

“We are like bugs on a potato” explains Viktor, standing on his field that backs on to the barbed wire fence of Chernobyl’s nuclear Exclusion Zone: “These bugs are not afraid of anything and nor are we, if you try to kill them - they are still alive, and we are the same”. Like many others who live on territory officially deemed contaminated by Chernobyl, he receives just 9p per month in compensation to ‘buy clean food’. “What can I do with this?” he asks, “It won’t even buy a loaf of bread”.

As the turmoil in Ukraine intensifies and the physical violence enacted upon Ukrainian citizens by bullet, truncheon or Molotov cocktail continues, another more stealthy form of violence continues to impact the lives of thousands of people - that of state-abandonment. This weekend marks the 28th anniversary of the world’s worst nuclear tragedy. With Ukraine’s economy on its knees and Russia at its throat, it is Chernobyl’s marginalized citizens who rely on dwindling compensation that are placed at the thin edge of this geopolitical crisis.

I wonder if Putin wants this mess back?

From Ukraine War Success, EU Rolls On Into Moldova

EUROPEAN UNION ALLOWS VISA-FREE TRAVEL FOR MOLDOVA, INCLUDES TROUBLED TRANSDNEISTRA

In response to the Ukraine crisis, the European Union has said it will accelerate the partnerships and from Monday, all citizens of Moldova with a biometric passport can travel visa-free to Europe's Schengen zone, the European Commission said on Sunday in a statement.
Transdneistria. This country is not recognized by the West, EU or NATO, but, like Crimea, “is home to Russian troops and half-a-million people – 30 percent of them ethnic Russians – who look to Russia as their patron.” The visa-free travel could ease the pressure since the European Commission said it extends to all ethnicities and those in Transdneistra.

As from Monday, you too can have a beautiful Moldovan bride who will look absolutely stunning as either a late-night chicken-packer for Tesco or simply walking the streets of Swansea in search of housing benefit.

Important Foreign Office Information

Moldova-Women.jpg

EUROPEAN UNION ALLOWS VISA-FREE TRAVEL FOR MOLDOVA, INCLUDES TROUBLED TRANSDNEISTRA

As from Monday, you too can have a beautiful Moldovan bride who will look absolutely stunning as either a late-night chicken-packer for Tesco or simply walking the streets of Swansea in search of housing benefit.

Moldova-Women.jpg

:lol:

Haven't all the young women been trafficed out of Moldova. You'd probably have more luck finding a 'hot moldovan bride' in the sidestreets of Riyadh or Tel Aviv. (if you can bribe her pimp enough, that is)

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-27/quest-find-putins-billions

The problem, as the US is starting to realize, is that those alleged billions that Russia's leader may (or may not) have access to are quite difficult to track down. There is much speculation and conjecture, but the facts are still rather slim. Here is what is known:

For years, the suspicion that Mr. Putin has a secret fortune has intrigued scholars, industry analysts, opposition figures, journalists and intelligence agencies but defied their efforts to uncover it.
Numbers are thrown around suggesting that Mr. Putin may control $40 billion or even $70 billion, in theory making him the richest head of state in world history.
For all the rumors and speculation, though, there has been little if any hard evidence, and Gunvor has adamantly denied any financial ties to Mr. Putin and repeated that denial on Friday.

Still, this does beg the question - is Putin really a billionaire? Officially, of course not.

Mr. Putin’s reported income for 2013 was just $102,000
, according to a Kremlin statement this month. Over the years, he has crudely dismissed suggestions of personal wealth. “I have seen some papers about this,” he said at a news conference in 2008. “
Just gossip that’s not worth discussing. It’s simply rubbish
. They picked everything out of someone’s nose and smeared it on their little papers.”
How much Mr. Putin cares about money has long been a subject of debate both in Russia and in the West. On government payrolls since his days in the K.G.B., the Soviet intelligence agency,
Mr. Putin to many seemed driven more by power and nationalism than by material gain.
With access to government perks like palaces, planes and luxury cars, he seemingly has little need for personal wealth.
“If he really does have all that money salted away somewhere, why?” asked Bruce K. Misamore, who was the chief financial officer of Yukos Oil before the Russian government imprisoned its top shareholder, Mikhail B. Khodorkovsky, seized its assets and gave many of them to Mr. Sechin’s Rosneft. “What good does it do him? Is it just ego? Presumably, it’s not to pass it down to heirs.
I doubt we’ll see Mr. Putin becoming one of the leading philanthropists in the world.”

Philanthropist, no. But if indeed Putin has highly confidential access to up to $70 billion, that would probably make him the wealthiest person on earth. And thus most influential.

So is Putin the worlds richest man? Or has he succeeded in creating a nice bit of mis-direction?

Moldova-Women.jpg

She could come and stay with me... for a few days... maybe a week.... I would need to see a full photo first though. :huh:

Putin has been visiting some monastery or some place where he goes to think, chill out and contemplate - is he thinking of making a major decision or just wanting to give the impression to the West that something is up.

High stakes for him as well I guess - if he screws up in the Ukraine it could backfire on him big time in Russia I suppose.

Neo-Nazis march in Lvov 'in honor' of Ukrainian Waffen SS division

Hundreds took part in a march to mark the anniversary of the formation of the Ukrainian SS division, which fought for the Nazi’s against the Soviet Union during World War II, in the city of Lvov in the western Ukraine. Around five hundred neo-Nazi supporters took to the streets in the center of the city on Sunday to celebrate the creation of the 14th SS-Volunteer Division ‘Galician’ on April 28, 1943.

http://rt.com/news/155364-ukraine-nazi-division-march/

Moldova-Women.jpg

From the picture, you'd never guess he is a Transdneistrean.

Interesting. People are running away from Soviet's brotherhood into the NATO's occupation. Eastern Europeans are begging NATO to deploy in their countries any military units just to stop the Soviets on their own borders.

But yes, NATO and their Fascists want to nuke Moscow, 24/7 ...

I would like to know if Putin is really so paranoid or he just wants to stay in power another 15 years and be the biggest Soviet conqueror after Katerina The Great ???

Interesting. People are running away from Soviet's brotherhood into the NATO's occupation. Eastern Europeans are begging NATO to deploy in their countries any military units just to stop the Soviets on their own borders.

I would like to know if Putin is really so paranoid or he just wants to stay in power another 15 years and be the biggest Soviet conqueror after Katerina The Great ???

I'm pretty sure there haven't been any Soviets since 1991.

It's great that countries want to be part of Europe, or Russia, or whatever they want.

What is a problem is when a country is forced to do one or the other against its will. Crimea was pretty clear cut once they had the referendum.. 97% in favour of being part of Russia. Fine.

East Ukraine.. a little less clear cut.

They were seemingly already fairly pro-Russian until the coup imposed government took power.

In recent news we discover that as always the separatists have managed to find a surprisingly vast number of high trained and enthusiastic Russian actors to wave flags on their behalf. Despite this there is obviously some genuine pro Kiev sentiment since you have a small number of people willing to form a counter protest despite the town being controlled by separatist forces.

http://rt.com/news/russia-protection-ukraine-compatriots-830/

The East Ukrainians are obviously either not organised/able to hold a referendum (like in Crimea) or are not convinced enough that they would win. The same goes for Western/NATO leaders who have also refused to raise the proposition of a democratic resolution to the stalemate (suggesting that they are not sure either).

And so the stand-off continues..

Out of interest:

http://

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_%28council%29

“Soviet” is derived from a Russian word signifying council, assembly, advice, harmony, concord, ultimately deriving from the Proto-Slavic verbal stem of *větiti 'to talk, speak'. The word “sovietnik” means councillor

So when the UK politicians refer to the UK Union (of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales) in Russia it would be fair to call it a Soviet Union and people pay Soviet tax (council tax).

Not many people know this - do they?

Edited by billybong

My local Soviet is imposing a 4.5% increase in Soviet Tax - the highest in Wales, I believe.

+1

Then on top of Soviet Tax there are the other fees the British Soviets charge to subsidise their wages and pensions and to maintain the status quo - ever increasing parking charges in the ever larger parking fee zones, land, search, planning, environment, sports facilities charges, hiring out authority buildings, taxi licenses, street trading licenses etc etc the list is almost endless.

Then they can't fix the street potholes from winters ago.

Edited by billybong

The US are making it up as they go along :lol:

Rosneft are now on the US naughty list..

Oh, wait a second, we'd have to surrender a $900bn oil contract with them.

In which case it is ok to trade with them, but they are still very naughty...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-28/exxon-s-900-billion-arctic-prize-at-risk-after-ukraine.html

She could come and stay with me... for a few days... maybe a week.... I would need to see a full photo first though. :huh:

Putin has been visiting some monastery or some place where he goes to think, chill out and contemplate - is he thinking of making a major decision or just wanting to give the impression to the West that something is up.

High stakes for him as well I guess - if he screws up in the Ukraine it could backfire on him big time in Russia I suppose.

She's bound to put beans on your fry up, the whole thing would be a disaster.

Send her over to Dorset.

China Slams US Over Russian Sanctions; Warns "Will Escalate Tensions"

Beijing’s support for its ally comes ahead of a strategic visit by Russian President Vladimir Putin to Shanghai next month where he will hold talks with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-29/china-slams-us-over-russian-sanctions-warns-will-escalate-tensions

Edited by Errol

:lol: , you can not make it up:

http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_the_Wire/2014-04/29/content_32244017.htm

"Anti-Russian hysteria that was recently unleashed in the Western media would not help subdue these emotions," the Russian Defense Ministry's press service quoted Shoigu as saying.

Perhaps he believes that we have the same style propaganda machine as Putin has implemented ... :lol::lol::lol:

I have seen on here the mention of a 97% support for Crimea to go to Russia in the referendum.

Does anybody really belive this or are they just trying to get people worked up..

If anybody actually belives that was a true representive of population then I am staggered.

These are the heroes (very small Moscow protest)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSbXe11Gfvs

More guts than I will ever have.

Pro Ukrianioan protest attacked. There are lots of videos of this attack on youtube.

I just clicked this one quickly.

I have not confirmed this indenpendantly but a Russian friend who lives in London told me that the number 1 search on Google in Russian is "Putin must go".

Putin is not universally popular with Russians but it seems runs a very tight ship. People have been arrested in Moscow for weariing a Urkainian flag. Seriously, this is not a joke or some made up information.

Anyone who asks why the police do not defend buildings in Eastern Ukraine. The answer is simple, as quoted by one police officer, $500 a month or less is not enougth to get your face smashed in. Very easy to bribe if you have billions.

OK. I have asked several times but who knows people from Ukraine or Russia?