House Price Crash Forum

Govt Coding Tsar Can't Code

HOLA441

While I agree with the general point, in what way is code old tech, how do you think computers work? Somebody somewhere has to write code, in the past, now and in the future.

Doesn't bother me that people can't code, will keep me in a well paid job until I retire, something we didn't think was possible when as developers we joined the industry in the late 90's.

Late 90s?? Wow - so you actually missed most of the real IT world then when people were writing machine code on mainframes.

So you learned to write machine code/assembler when you were 5?

I'm guessing not.

5 yr olds don't need to learn to code.

Might or not be useful to learn something when they're at Uni or later. Depends on where we are with AI, robotics and so on in 20 years time.

Today? Completely irrelevant. It's just an opportunity for IT providers to sell sh1t to schools.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Late 90s?? Wow - so you actually missed most of the real IT world then when people were writing machine code on mainframes.

So you learned to write machine code/assembler when you were 5?

I'm guessing not.

5 yr olds don't need to learn to code.

Might or not be useful to learn something when they're at Uni or later. Depends on where we are with AI, robotics and so on in 20 years time.

Today? Completely irrelevant. It's just an opportunity for IT providers to sell sh1t to schools.

Well I have been coding since the early 80's didn't do it for a living until the late 90's when at the time the landscape seemed to be that coding in the terms you are talking about seemed to be coming obsolete.

Worked on plenty of mainframe systems using machine code, plenty of business were using seriously old systems back in the 90's.

As I said I agree with your point, did you watch the interview? I saw it when it was on an made exactly the point you are making that this is not coding or anything like it.

HOLA443

Just in case anyone is in doubt, when they say coding in school I'm pretty sure they mean - Javascript, HTML and CSS. Especially for 5 year olds. Maybe the teenagers will get a chance at a C variant or PHP and SQL, perhaps Ruby. But I'm not confident about that.

There's nothing wrong with the initiative, in the context of curriculum changes, but they should have hired someone more competent to explain the benefits of learning the basics of computer languages at a young age.

I do wish they'd be a bit more ambitious though. What happened to getting the Raspberry Pi into schools?

HOLA444

Just in case anyone is in doubt, when they say coding in school I'm pretty sure they mean - Javascript, HTML and CSS. Especially for 5 year olds. Maybe the teenagers will get a chance at a C variant or PHP and SQL, perhaps Ruby. But I'm not confident about that.

There's nothing wrong with the initiative, in the context of curriculum changes, but they should have hired someone more competent to explain the benefits of learning the basics of computer languages at a young age.

I do wish they'd be a bit more ambitious though. What happened to getting the Raspberry Pi into schools?

Yes, I'll bet they'll be loads of jobs available in software development in the UK when they leave school/uni :lol:

HOLA445

We talked about this back here:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=195176&st=0

We tried using Scratch and Microsoft's Kodu with Year 5 kids (9/10-year-olds). The kids enjoyed playing with Kodu, but we felt that Scratch was better for teaching the general concepts of programming: I/O, loops, conditions, etc. The school will probably base its programming curriculum on Scratch, though with an introduction to other languages as well as basic website design.

I've played with a Raspberry Pi myself, and it's great for hardware control applications, but can't really see that it's much use for learning the basics of programming. The primary schools already have laptops that can do the job.

HOLA446

We talked about this back here:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=195176&st=0

We tried using Scratch and Microsoft's Kodu with Year 5 kids (9/10-year-olds). The kids enjoyed playing with Kodu, but we felt that Scratch was better for teaching the general concepts of programming: I/O, loops, conditions, etc. The school will probably base its programming curriculum on Scratch, though with an introduction to other languages as well as basic website design.

I've played with a Raspberry Pi myself, and it's great for hardware control applications, but can't really see that it's much use for learning the basics of programming. The primary schools already have laptops that can do the job.

Said it before and I'll say it again as it's worth repeating. Lego Mindstorms is the absolute business when it comes to teaching kids programming. Fun yet caoable of making something that kids can really relate to.

I think 5 is a bit young, but 8-10 year olds should be picking this stuff up.

Archived