House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Knimbies who say No

Govt Coding Tsar Can't Code

Govt has set up an initiative to encourage people to start learning how to code in an attempt to get the IT professionals of the future. There are quite a few IT bods here so I thought it might be of interest.

The head of the initiative is one Lottie Dexter, here's a write up of her performance on Newsnight:

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/02/tory-boss-of-government-coding-education-initiative-cant-code-lottie-dexter/

The row over Tory cronies in taxpayer-backed positions look set to intensify after it emerges the boss of the government’s coding education initiative cannot code — or even give a decent explanation of what is involved. Figures behind the scheme include Michael Gove, who is at the centre of the furore over Conservative placemen in Whitehall and the ‘quangocracy’.

Conservative activist Lottie Dexter was ridiculed by IT experts and educationalists for her clueless performance on Newsnight — in which she claimed that teachers could be trained how to educate students in computer programming “in a day”:

more at the link.

I think logoscript can be learnt in an hour....or was it turtlescript...anyway it featured full command controls in including TR, turn right, FD forward and other mind numbingly useful codes.

You can make a website in an hour without any previous knowledge.

Well you can.

Same as you can cook dinner in 5 minutes. It won't be a 5 course banquet though.

You can make a website in an hour without any previous knowledge.

Well you can.

Same as you can cook dinner in 5 minutes. It won't be a 5 course banquet though.

Thats why Mums go to iceland, if they cannot.

I've never understood the allure of the term 'Tsar'

The most well-known Tsar I can think of was an incompetent, unelected parasite who ended up getting shot in a basement.

Guest unfunded_liability

I actually thought her newsnight performance was a joke!

Embarrassingly funny. My 18 yo is at technical college, currently learning to write embedded C. I'll send him the link.

Embarrassingly funny. My 18 yo is at technical college, currently learning to write embedded C. I'll send him the link.

I've been coding one way or the other for 30 years. Still learning.

Pretty much encapsulates the low regard that the classically educated UK political elite has for practical subjects like engineering, science and the like.

Guest unfunded_liability

Perhaps the thinking is that a young attractive bimbette is more likely to switch young people onto programming than a bearded bespectacled old fuddy duddy. Probably true.

BBC-News-23-Jan.jpg

This person? I can't believe no one has posted a picture.

If you can blag why would ability come into it.

would ccc? is all we need to know

I've never understood the allure of the term 'Tsar'

The most well-known Tsar I can think of was an incompetent, unelected parasite who ended up getting shot in a basement.

So quite an appropriate term then.

I felt a bit sorry for her because she was trying...and she was quite fit as well. I'm an older man now but she seemed semi-intelligent so I reckon I could probably teach her things and conquer her conservative ways.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551469/Five-year-olds-taught-create-apps-websites-parents-say-computer-skills-important-three-Rs.html

Five-year-olds to be taught how to create apps and websites as parents say computer skills are as important as the three Rs

New computing curriculum to be taught in schools from September

£500,000 fund to train teachers in how to create a generation of developers

George Osborne says coding skills are not nice-to-have but 'essential'

So easy even a 5 year old can do it.

Pretty much encapsulates the low regard that the classically educated UK political elite has for practical subjects like engineering, science and the like.

It's always been the case, hasn't it? Think of all the inventions that helped win WW2, radar, bouncing bombs, the spitfire, on and on. All the brilliant engineers and scientists dismissed with "...our backroom boys..."

Don't get me started on what they did to Tommy Flowers. He should be a national hero, not buried in history, after all, this is THE MAN who made coding possible ffs.

So whose daughter/niece is she?

Scarily you'll probably be spot on.

Banana republic. Sorry monarchy.

Edit: worked for Ian Duncan Smith's think tank previously. Let's do some more digging.