House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reddog

Journalists Unfairly Going After Sochi Olympics?

Obviously Russia didn't do its self any favours in the eyes of the world media with its policy on gay people.

But putting that aside (which journalists should if they want to report objectively on unrelated matters), are journalists unfairly having a go at the Sochi Olympics?

They are keen to report anything negative. Lets face it when the Olympics was in London, you wouldn't have to go too far off the designated journalist route to take some pretty disturbing pictures.

Personally I think it is pretty sad have the competitors to have their games treated like this.

(I also seem to remember British journalists were pretty mean about the Vancouver Winter Olympics - maybe they just don't like winter Olympics?)

Obviously Russia didn't do its self any favours in the eyes of the world media with its policy on gay people.

But putting that aside (which journalists should if they want to report objectively on unrelated matters), are journalists unfairly having a go at the Sochi Olympics?

They are keen to report anything negative. Lets face it when the Olympics was in London, you wouldn't have to go too far off the designated journalist route to take some pretty disturbing pictures.

Personally I think it is pretty sad have the competitors to have their games treated like this.

(I also seem to remember British journalists were pretty mean about the Vancouver Winter Olympics - maybe they just don't like winter Olympics?)

I suspect (but I hope I am wrong) that the Sochi olympics will not be remembered for something as trivial as gay rights or local living conditions.

I was thinking similar but hadn't quite realised it - now you say it yes that's it.

At least half the stories are about negative things. Bit unfair really. See how they actually go first. Strange choice for a venue though. Same as Vancouver - very poor snow records. Then again that's always a risk i suppose.

I suspect (but I hope I am wrong) that the Sochi olympics will not be remembered for something as trivial as gay rights or local living conditions.

Yes lets hope not. If there are any terrorist incidents I imagine it is local people who will get caught, rather than the competitors. :(

Bad things happen to journalists in Russia. Western media hates Russia. That said, I think they always like speculating it will be a horrible disaster, even before the London olympics.

Some people seem to like doom and gloom.

There were plenty of nut jobs on the net speculating about body bag deliveries and government sponsored terrorist acts ahead of the London Olympics. And it was likely fueled by incidents like the closing of a motorway to surround a bus carrying a guy smoking an e-cigerette. Gawd knows what people overseas must have made of that.

The only difference with Russia is that nut jobs work for the Western mainstream media. I guess they've never got out of cold war mode. I'm sure Russia isn't a brilliant place to live at times, maybe it's worse than here in many respects - but it's hardly completely backward either.

IIRC China was human rights abuse and something about dogs?

Brazil will be shanty towns and poverty.

And hopefully beach babes?

Fairly standard for the Western media who are absurdly anti-Russian/anti-Putin. So much so that I think it probably backfires on them - people can see through it.

I think I read earlier that the Sochi games has cost £30bn. If that's true then someone's done alright for themselves.

Could that have been 30bn roubles?

As to the question: yes, the meeja do appear to have a bandwagon going. A classic case of someone planting a seed story with the spin they want to propagate, then the hordes of the lazy and dumb sheepreporters parroting it.

The most hypocritical story i have seen again and again is the whole 'they can only protest at this little park if they want to' one. I must have seen it at least 5 times.

I am sure during the London games people would have been free to protest wherever they wish.

This being the London police who moved protesters out of the way as not to annoy visiting Chinese dignitaries. Oh and the same mess who are infamous for their frankly illegal kettling activities on a regular basis.

Not to mention knocking blokes over and killing them - for having to audacity to just walk past a protest they had nothing to do with.

Yes - indeed - we sure can hold the high ground on this particular subject.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-06/russians-rue-economy-as-most-expensive-olympics-begin-at-sochi.html

The torch’s odyssey meant something else for Daniil Galkin. For the 88-year-old retired architect, it was a reminder of President Vladimir Putin’s priorities even as the country’s economy sputters.

“Our leaders want to bask in the limelight and immortalize themselves by means of funds that would have helped people,” Galkin said strolling through a snowy Moscow park. “That leaves a horrible impression when you see the miserable hospitals, when you see that Russia still has almost no roads.”

More coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi

Putin marshalled more than $45 billion to host the most expensive Winter Olympics, rather than spending on schools, hospitals and infrastructure investors say is needed to revive growth. Government forecasts show that the economy, which expanded at an average rate of 7 percent in the first eight years of Putin’s rule, will grow at a third of that pace between now and 2030.

“If all that astronomical amount of money, astronomical even for Russia, had been invested in the improvement of utilities and services, it would have given a strong push to economic development,” said Vadim Bit-Avragim, who helps manage about 148 billion rubles ($4.3 billion) at Kapital Asset Management LLC in Moscow.

It seems some Russians aren't impressed with the money spunked on the games.

Another rather hypocritical point i heard yesterday. Lots containing about the 'gay' aspect of the games and potential demonstrations etc. Was pointed out that we are hosting the commonwealth games this year - we are the head of this organisation - and we will welcome them all with open arms.

Yet 44 of them still put people in jail for being gay.

I am fairly sure this is why the UK government is being rather quiet on this affair. I am sure Putin would just love to respond to any criticism .

At least being gay in Russia isn't actually illegal.

I always thought the Winter Olympics were supposed to be lower key than the Summer games.

Having just watched the opening ceremony it seems they have attempted to 'outdo' London and of course it is this which costs the money.

Purpose built park spanning hundreds of acres with brand new stadiums and auditoriums, one has to wonder what they will do with it all after these games.

In much the same way as the spoke of the legacy of the London games what has happened in the Olympic Stadium since 2012?

We should mind our own business.

Because people who live in Russia are different from us?

Guys, you're cheer leading a tyrannical government. One day that type of government will visit you.

Guest eight

Purpose built park spanning hundreds of acres with brand new stadiums and auditoriums, one has to wonder what they will do with it all after these games.

Maybe Leyton Orient can move there?

Guest eight

Some people seem to like doom and gloom.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had a few days off from this website. Came back and within five minutes I was ready to slit my wrists!