House Price Crash Forum

Off Topic I Know

HOLA441
HOLA442

He certainly put up a fight but he is at peace now.

throughout his life he always claimed that he did not regret his choices. That is a laudable attitude, but his insisting on the publication of the photos of him on his death bed make me wonder if he changed his mind toward the end.

RIP Georgie

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

A terrible waste both of a talent and a life.

He may have put up a fight against death, but he didn't put up much of a fight against his addiction to booze, IMO.

I don't know if he wasted his talent/life entirely

these days, there's a lot of talk about alcoholism being a disease. However, that does beg the question about how you could have contracted it in the days before alcohol... I'm not sure that I can accept it as an "illness" in the classical sense

HOLA446

He may have put up a fight against death, but he didn't put up much of a fight against his addiction to booze, IMO.

RIP bestie

another reason I hate the cops is the way they tried to put the boot in by claiming in the press he had assaulted a teenage girl only for the filth to retract it later and say there was no case to answer.

that was what killed georgie.

the filth also stitched up Marianne Faitfhul and many many others down the years,

HOLA447

these days, there's a lot of talk about alcoholism being a disease. However, that does beg the question about how you could have contracted it in the days before alcohol... I'm not sure that I can accept it as an "illness" in the classical sense

I don't think it would be missed unless it is first tasted.

My (albeit v. limited) knowledge is that the alcohol sets off some kind of chemical reaction in those already prone to be alcoholics and that that the body needs to repeat the experience again and again.

So if there were no alcohol in the society there would be no withdrawal from it.

HOLA448

RIP bestie

another reason I hate the cops is the way they tried to put the boot in by claiming in the press he had assaulted a teenage girl only for the filth to retract it later and say there was no case to answer.

that was what killed georgie.

the filth also stitched up Marianne Faitfhul and many many others down the years,

And what about the people who have been falsely accused and yet never became alcoholics or drug users or whatever? Looking to lay blame for his chosen path is pointless really.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Getting back on topic. Rest in peace George. Sure he was an alcoholic, but that was his vice.

I'm sure many others here have certain vices (sure some may not be physically or emotionally as destructive). He made his bed and he layed in it. Still a legend though!

HOLA4411

Alcoholism is a manifestation of an addictive personality - it is a sort of congenital personality disorder.

GB owned a small bar in Marylebone, Central London in about 1990. I went there a few times and he was there ! Bizarre thing to do for an alcoholic.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I think the body of thought that sees alcoholism as a disease actually see it a little broader than just tasting and becoming addicted to alcohol.

They feel that some people have genes that give tham a sort of addictive personality combined with a little self destruction.

This sort of person takes things to excess and possibly lacks willpower and self discipline

It's similar to being addicted to gambling it just so happens that some people channel this into alcohol.

Just my percpetion on it but I do find that some people who have one addiction are also vulnerable to other adddictions.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Bit of a waste of a liver too-it could have gone to someone who would look after it better...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I think the body of thought that sees alcoholism as a disease actually see it a little broader than just tasting and becoming addicted to alcohol.

They feel that some people have genes that give tham a sort of addictive personality combined with a little self destruction.

This sort of person takes things to excess and possibly lacks willpower and self discipline

It's similar to being addicted to gambling it just so happens that some people channel this into alcohol.

Just my percpetion on it but I do find that some people who have one addiction are also vulnerable to other adddictions.

true - as also expressed by Starcrossed earlier

so therefore alcoholism is one manifestation of a much more profound disease?

George Best was a tremendously worthwhile human being in so many ways, it is hardly a waste. OK, I say this as a United fan, but he is also a very powerful illustration of the evils of alcoholism, and if it helps even one person deal with their problems, then it has been a good thing.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Best, 59, followed a brief and promising career in football by wowing the world of sport with his international-standard boozing for more than 30 years. "He'll be sadly missed," admitted the tearful landlord of Manchesters Fighting Dog and Pikey. "Him an Ollie Reed accounted for 23 per cent of all income in the UK's pubs during the 1980s. Plenty of boozers will go to the wall, make no mistake," he added before breaking down in uncontrollable tears.

Asked for his opinion of Best's most memorable performance, our man recovered sufficiently to offer: "It was 1987. Bestie and a couple of mates hit the public bar at around 11am and drank solidly until 11.30pm. True, they took a break between one and two so George could nip out to marry some racked blonde at the local registry office, but he was back at the bar within the hour like the true professional he was."

"********," offered another punter over a pint of Olde Wifebeater. "Manchester United versus Bayern Munich. Champions League 1998/9. We had it on the big screen. Place was packed. George was having a bit of an off day, I remember — just six pints in 90 minutes. Come stoppage time, though, he's downed sixteen scotches in two minutes. Two German fans on the next table can't believe it. The party went on until 2am when one of George's wives, dunno which one, one of the blonde ones, turns up and says 'George, if you don't stop this boozing I'm filing for divorce' and George is like: 'Calm down, let's get a couple of drinks in and talk it over'. Classic stuff."

HOLA4423

I was appalled this morning as Radio 2 (and other stations no doubt) were giving an hour by hour account

of George Bests' condition.

8AM - He slipping away.

9am - He is still slipping away

10am - He is near to death.

11.00 am - He only has minutes to live

12.00 pm He only has seconds to live.

Unbelievable ! Radio 2 were inundated apparently with complaints.

This would only be acceptable for the likes of The Queen or the Pope.

God knows how his family must have felt. I think that BBC should be ashamed of

themselves for this kind of coverage.

As for the man himself god knows what demons he must have battled with to end up in such a sorry state.

Good Looks (Did not appeal to this GAL BEAR though)

Loads of money

Loads of Talent

Women throwing themselves at him.

Sad really, the Hospital staff said he was wonderful, never complained, always kind and caring.

What a sad waste of a life!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest muttley

Loads of Talent

I bet most of them turn up at his funeral too.

If it hadn't been for George Best I don't believe I would have become a football fan.He remains the only person I have ever sent fan mail too (aged 5!)

It's ironic that he should pass away the day after the UK introduces 24 hour drinking.

Archived