House Price Crash Forum

Argentine Bank Archives Destroyed

Errol

HOLA441

Argentine bank archives destroyed

Seven first-responders were killed on Wednesday battling a fire that destroyed an archive of bank documents, AP quoted Argentina's security secretary, Sergio Berni, as saying. The dead include five firefighters and two civil defense workers who were killed when a wall of the building collapsed on top of them. The fire at the Iron Mountain warehouse took hours to bring under control, and the sprawling building is reported to be ruined. Buenos Aires civil defense director, Guillermo Montenegro, said the archives contained banking documents.

I can't believe that the banking Archive contained 'Banking documents'. That is simply amazing.

Anyway, I'm sure there was nothing at all dodgy about this fire. Absolutely not.

http://www.chron.com/news/world/article/9-die-in-fire-destroying-Argentine-bank-archives-5206658.php

Edited by Errol

HOLA442
HOLA443

Seven first-responders were killed on Wednesday battling a fire that destroyed an archive of bank documents, AP quoted Argentina's security secretary, Sergio Berni, as saying. The dead include five firefighters and two civil defense workers who were killed when a wall of the building collapsed on top of them. The fire at the Iron Mountain warehouse took hours to bring under control, and the sprawling building is reported to be ruined. Buenos Aires civil defense director, Guillermo Montenegro, said the archives contained banking documents.

I can't believe that the banking Archive contained 'Banking documents'. That is simply amazing.

Anyway, I'm sure there was nothing at all dodgy about this fire. Absolutely not.

http://www.chron.com/news/world/article/9-die-in-fire-destroying-Argentine-bank-archives-5206658.php

maybe it was rewired by the same electrician who did building 7 ??

just a thought.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Deep inside the central bank, two senior bankers close up the office for the night.

Fred: It's time.

Simon: Yes, I think it is.

Fred: We have crossed the rubicon, the point of no return now.

Simon: Yes, I've had this feeling for some time. Fiscal rules are out of the window.

Fred: I am going to execute our plan tonight.

Simon: Tonight!?

Fred: Yes, you take the east side I'll take the west side.

Simon: OK. But I want 500m, not 50m.

Fred: Dammit, you'll cause a panic!

Simon: I promise to execute control.

Fred: OK, I won't see you on "the other side"

Fred pulls out a magnum gun from his shoulder holster, and it glistens in the low light of the office. He then checks it, returns it to the holster, and turns around on his heels, and marches out of the office.

.....Later that evening in a blacked out Mercedes, two blocks away.

Simon: Is it done?

Fred: It is done. 500m has been wired to your swiss account.

Simon: And you?

Fred: I have the same.

Simon: Where will you be in the morning?

Fred: In a stockbroker, property broker, and yacht broker....and I don't want to you see you on this side.

Simon: Agreed.

HOLA446
HOLA447

From the article:

The fire at the Iron Mountain warehouse...

Interesting - Iron Mountain is a multinational and very well reputed business archiving company, and widely regarded as one of the leading names in that line of work. Their facilities are not in the habit of being struck by Jewish lightning.

Iron Mountain statement on the fire.

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri

HOLA448

interesting name for the place.

anybody ever watched "report from iron mountain"?....scary stuff, but you MUST see, it's very relevant

HOLA449
HOLA4410

From the article:

[/i]Interesting - Iron Mountain is a multinational and very well reputed business archiving company, and widely regarded as one of the leading names in that line of work. Their facilities are not in the habit of being struck by Jewish lightning.

Also there will have been non bank "stuff" in there too.It'd be interesting to see the list of companies using that storage facility, As the fire could have been for another company's documents, But the press have picked up on the banks documents being in there

Edited by Monkey

HOLA4411

From the article:

[/i]Interesting - Iron Mountain is a multinational and very well reputed business archiving company, and widely regarded as one of the leading names in that line of work. Their facilities are not in the habit of being struck by Jewish lightning.

Many thanks for educating me, i have never come across the phase jewish lightning, just googled it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Have you come across the phrase 'casual racism' before?

Have you every came across the phrase 'government/media brain washing" or "suppression of free speech" or, lastly, "Political correctness is thought control used by government to control the masses for their own ends" before ?

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4414

Have you every came across the phrase 'government/media brain washing" or "suppression of free speech" or, lastly, "Political correctness is thought control used by government to control the masses for their own ends" before ?

No, I don't follow: you're going to have to walk me through this one.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Haha, I've read enough Gramsci in my student days ta. Thing is, it doesn't always wash.

E.g.

- So, did you hear about the bank archive fire in Beunos Aires? It must have been Jewish lightning.

- Excuse me? I happen to be Jewish and your intimation that Jews are arsonists and fraudsters offends me.

- Lighten up, it's only the government mind control and imposition of a dominant cultural hegemony.

You see, not really up to scratch.

I didn't really intend to make a thing of it: I do appreciate free speech and notions of government mind control, up to a point. But this phrase added nothing to the thread except a slightly sour taste in the mouth, so I thought I'd point that out.

Sorry if I offended your sensibilities - you can't point out nuffink these days, it's political correctness gone maaaaad!

HOLA4417

Haha, I've read enough Gramsci in my student days ta. Thing is, it doesn't always wash.

E.g.

- So, did you hear about the bank archive fire in Beunos Aires? It must have been Jewish lightning.

- Excuse me? I happen to be Jewish and your intimation that Jews are arsonists and fraudsters offends me.

- Lighten up, it's only the government mind control and imposition of a dominant cultural hegemony.

I didn't really intend to make a thing of it: I do appreciate free speech and notions of government mind control, up to a point. But this phrase added nothing to the thread except a slightly sour taste in the mouth, so I thought I'd point that out.

Sorry if I offended your sensibilities - you can't point out nuffink these days, it's political correctness gone maaaaad!

I thought the phrase was coined by Jewish owned insurance companies when they had to pay out for suspicious fire related claims.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Agreed!

(and worryingly seems to coincidentally follow on from my 'observations'/contribution just yesterday to the 'Stag Party' thread over on the off-topic board)

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4420

I thought the phrase was coined by Jewish owned insurance companies when they had to pay out for suspicious fire related claims.

It seems that John le Carré claimed similarly in an interview...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jewish_lightning

But I've only ever come across it as a racial epithet:

I asked a fireman later how two fires could occur at the same time in the building. He said that Bedford-Stuyvesant, a district of Brooklyn, was now a slum neighborhood. It was a very nice black residential area in 1900, a mecca for the freed slaves of the south. He told me that Jewish lightning, a New York City slang word for arson, is a fire deliberately set for gain, revenge or some other evil reason. Because there were so many Jewish landlords in New York City, Jewish lightining was attributed to Jewish land owners and developers. People died in these fires too but they kept on with their arson.

HOLA4421

Ahh, the qualification of the scoundrel.

No, you're right. I should qualify that I am in fact a passionate advocate for free speech, so long as we can all agree that sometimes it is offensive to others and perhaps it is better to think carefully about one's use of language. Unless one is intentionally trying to offend, of course!

HOLA4422

E.g.

some jews are arsonists and fraudsters.

HOLA4423

some jews are arsonists and fraudsters.

Sure. Some arsonists are Jewish. Don't doubt it.

BUT the phrase rather insinuates and is 'suggestive' that a particular category of arson, that for business or financial gain, is particular to Jewish people or one that jewish people are notable for.

HOLA4424

Sure. Some arsonists are Jewish. Don't doubt it.

BUT the phrase rather insinuates and is 'suggestive' that a particular category of arson, that for business or financial gain, is particular to Jewish people or one that jewish people are notable for.

WELL, it does and it doesnt...i dont know the actual history, one possibility is posted above, but people do tend to label things as they see them happening...so if a spate of Jewish owned businesses were self destructed, then it is human nature for people dealing with the type of crime to name it, usually after the majority MO of occurences.

Its a bit like saying, lets go to ChinaTown in London...Its not actually called Chinatown, but its known as that...in this case its not a bad label...but a label applied by common folks nontheless.

labelling is a group form of self defence. it sends a message to others that is instantly understandable due to the common experience.

In the late 1980s, there were a lot of "fires" in Essex factories.....there was no racial label, but we all knew what "fires" meant...If most businesses in Essex experiencing the "fires" were of mainly one social group, then I am 100% sure the group would have been added to the term.

Saying that, as a business man at the time, the word "fires" is of course, highly offensive.

HOLA4425