House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Twelve Applications Are Submitted For Every Uk Apprenticeship

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/feb/05/twelve-applications-every-apprenticeship-minister-matthew-hancock

The number of apprenticeship vacancies in the UK rose sharply at the start of this academic year but employers are failing to keep up with demand, with 12 applications for every position.

Figures from the National Apprenticeship Service show 37,410 vacancies were posted online between August and October last year, up 24% on the previous year. Over the same period applications jumped 43% to 461,530. The number of female applicants rose sharply, to 47% of the total, from 43% the previous year.

The numbers were welcomed by the government, which has made apprenticeships a flagship policy for young people, more than a million of whom are not in education, employment or training (NEET).

Skills and enterprise minister Matthew Hancock said schemes allowing young people to learn and earn simultaneously were growing in appeal. But he encouraged more employers to become involved.

"With each online position attracting an average of 12 applications, demand continues to outstrip supply and I would urge more employers to consider how they can take advantage of this available pool of talent and grow their business through apprenticeships."

Go recovery...

Here's an example of what they're eagerly applying for:

Sales Lead Generator Apprentice

Employer Saver Telecom

Learning Provider Delivered by East Berkshire College.

Vacancy Description

FULL TRAINING WILL BE PROVIDED

A telecoms reseller based in Uxbridge requires a Telesales Lead Generator.

Outbound cold calling, following a script to SMEs

Full on the job training with prospects for growth within the company

Answering Incoming Calls

Making outgoing Calls

Logging Enquiries onto a database

Advising clients on companies products

Full time position

Key Details

Vacancy Title Sales Lead Generator Apprentice

Employer Saver Telecom

Employer Description

Savertelecoms is part of a wider group of companies with many years experience in the telecoms market.

Vacancy Location

4 Eskdale Road

Uxbridge

London

UB8 2RT

Working Week Monday-Friday 9-5.30pm

Weekly Wage £ 150.00

Number of Vacancies 10

Vacancy Reference Number VAC000363795

Find your own examples on this .gov website where dreams come true:

https://apprenticeshipvacancymatchingservice.lsc.gov.uk/navms/Forms/Candidate/Apprenticeships.aspx

1391612819[/url]' post='1102461876']

https://apprenticesh...PjC6zB69Q%3d%3d

These jobs/employers are being created purely for these apprenticeships aren't they?

Is anything real anymore?

That was an interesting read. I'm presuming the successful applicant would be entitled to at least housing benefit. If I was leaving school now & looking for decent employment, I'd be depressed.

That was an interesting read. I'm presuming the successful applicant would be entitled to at least housing benefit. If I was leaving school now & looking for decent employment, I'd be depressed.

Not looking good for the young`uns

Reality Check HelpIcon.pngFor example the role may involve being on your feet for long hours or working outside. <br /><br /> <div id="ctl00_ContentBody_VacancyPreviewControl1_RealityCheckHelpTextControl_noteHelpNoScript" class="noteNoScript">For example the role may involve being on your feet for long hours or working outside.</div>From the 1st October 2013 a National Minimum Wage (NMW) for apprentices has been introduced for young people aged 16-18 and those aged over 19 in the first year of their apprenticeship. The new rate is £2.68 per hour. The new NMW rate applies to working time plus time spent training as this is also part of the Apprenticeship. Anyone not covered by the above will be entitled to the NMW appropriate to their age.

I was thinking that, unless they are very lazy or stupid I would expect at least 10-20

Sounds a reasonable estimate. So 12 applications for every position is exactly what we'd expect. What a stupid article.

How many apprenticeships does the average applicant apply for?

About 12?

I remember many years ago, my father explaining to me the purpose of the UCCA forms prompting us to list five universities we were applying to. It meant that each sixth-former applying to university made five applications. So the politically-driven expansion agenda (of the 1960s, when the UCCA was created) had the demand figures it needed: five applicants for every place.

I'm thinking of applying to be an apprentice chancellor of the exchequer, should I be put off by this?

Ed Balls was that in the NuLab era. Now there's a role model for you :wacko:

About 12?

I remember many years ago, my father explaining to me the purpose of the UCCA forms prompting us to list five universities we were applying to. It meant that each sixth-former applying to university made five applications. So the politically-driven expansion agenda (of the 1960s, when the UCCA was created) had the demand figures it needed: five applicants for every place.

On secondary school applications parents can make 6 applications.

On average every school is 6 times over-subscribed. We need more schools!

Paradoxically nearly every parent gets their child into a school of their choice.

For one year in the mid-'80s, the three largest factories in (or near) my home town each had 40 apprenticeship places. I recall hearing that the two that were in town had 1,200 applicants, and the one further out had 800.

Does anyone know if the mid-'80s was (also) unusual or is anything between about 10 and 30 to 1 ratios about normal?