House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Modified Syringe Uses Miniature Sponges To Seal A Gunshot Wound In 15 Seconds

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/modified-syringe-uses-miniature-sponges-to-seal-a-gunshot-wound-in-15-seconds-9109033.html

Dealing with gunshots wounds on the battlefield is a brutal process. The only way to stop the bleeding is to stuff the wound with gauze, sometimes as deep as five inches into the body - and even then the treatment can fail, meaning the gauze has to be removed and new material substituted.

With this almost medieval process in use it's no surprise that haemorrhaging is the leading cause of death for soldiers in the field.

Now a company named RevMedx has designed a device that they claim can stop a wound bleeding in just 15 seconds. This is the XStat, a modified syringe that injects tablet-sized sponges directly into the wound and that was inspired by the design of emergency tire repair kits.

Seems a interesting idea.

Sounds interesting. Of course it would be better if they didn't get shot in the first place?

But how on earth would the weapons manufacturers and Revmedx make any money?

Curious...... I had a wound on my back too big to suture , so the NHS put in a foam plug to seal it ,a binary solution was poured in, it would have an exothermic reaction to form a sponge like foam which would fit the wound exactly , as the wound closed over next couple of months from the inside , a new one,would be poured in as it shrunk and prevent the skin resealing .Occasional bleeding was a problem, so twice a day had to pull the bung ( a bloody weird feeling) and squeeze it out in a sterile solution to re sterilise. Then put it back after wringing dry ..... Had one infection during closing , where I was switched to sterilised sugar which was trowelled in to draw the infection out ,and create an environment that the infection would find it difficult to survive in , somewhat messy , plus's skin sores from multiple use of medical 'gaffer' tape...

This was about 30 years ago .......developed initially for gunshot wounds in N Ireland .

Curious...... I had a wound on my back too big to suture , so the NHS put in a foam plug to seal it ,a binary solution was poured in, it would have an exothermic reaction to form a sponge like foam which would fit the wound exactly , as the wound closed over next couple of months from the inside , a new one,would be poured in as it shrunk and prevent the skin resealing .Occasional bleeding was a problem, so twice a day had to pull the bung ( a bloody weird feeling) and squeeze it out in a sterile solution to re sterilise. Then put it back after wringing dry ..... Had one infection during closing , where I was switched to sterilised sugar which was trowelled in to draw the infection out ,and create an environment that the infection would find it difficult to survive in , somewhat messy , plus's skin sores from multiple use of medical 'gaffer' tape...

This was about 30 years ago .......developed initially for gunshot wounds in N Ireland .

Given your name, had you been hit by tank shell shrapnel?

Now a company named RevMedx has designed a device that they claim can stop a wound bleeding in just 15 seconds. This is the XStat, a modified syringe that injects tablet-sized sponges directly into the wound and that was inspired by the design of emergency tire repair kits.

15 seconds...? Why that's harldy 'owt to phone Norris McWherter about now is it...?

I routinely fill Mrs XYY's wound with soothing foam in well under ten seconds...

XYY

Sounds interesting. Of course it would be better if they didn't get shot in the first place?

And! You beat me to it. I was just about to say something similar. :o