House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Another Gas Explosion

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2552073/Homes-evacuated-casualties-reported-explosion-Essex-street.html

article-2552073-1B363CC200000578-436_634x339.jpg

Yet another gas explosion. I do hope this won't be down to yet more gas DIY.

Looking at the photos, and the debris, I guess perhaps there is something to be said for cr*ppy 'lightweight' construction of modern housing - they just seem to collapse into a pile of matchsticks? As opposed to a nice 'solid' brick and block structure that would, in addition to literally coming down on top of you like a 'ton of bricks', risk hurling huge chunks, like artillery shells, over a wider area?

That said, I agree it does appear amazing anyone came out of that alive - unless they just so happened to be underneath the downstairs dining table at the precise moment.....

Yet another gas explosion. I do hope this won't be down to yet more gas DIY.

Or perhaps a slightly flawed attempt at mains gas theft. Judging by the carnage I doubt the exact cause will ever be established.

Or perhaps a slightly flawed attempt at mains gas theft. Judging by the carnage I doubt the exact cause will ever be established.

Almost certainly this.

On investigation into the last gas explosion that made the news, the epicentre of the explosion was found to be replacement of the gas meter by a bike inner tube.

Routine gas inspections were also performed on all the neighbourhood properties while they were evacuated. Over 50% had evidence of gas meter tampering.

Thank goodness for computer hard drives. The shame of having your private pr0n mags blown all over town.

Quite a lot of people injured. Hope it wasn't a HMO.

Looking at the photos, and the debris, I guess perhaps there is something to be said for cr*ppy 'lightweight' construction of modern housing - they just seem to collapse into a pile of matchsticks?

That is why in California, you will need good luck getting planning permission to build any residence that is made of anything other than a wood frame. Houses made of brick are virtually unheard of, and larger buildings made from RSJ and concrete have to meet elaborate earthquake safety standards. The thinking is that in an earthquake, wood frame sections that just fall over are preferable to bricks flying all over the place; and afterwards, they're cheaper and quicker to rebuild, too.

Almost certainly this.

On investigation into the last gas explosion that made the news, the epicentre of the explosion was found to be replacement of the gas meter by a bike inner tube.

Routine gas inspections were also performed on all the neighbourhood properties while they were evacuated. Over 50% had evidence of gas meter tampering.

An ingenious money saving measure! :blink:

An ingenious money saving measure! :blink:

Somebody showed me how to do this a while back. We've got an older style meter. So no actual replacing of anything would be required. I haven't acted on it but it's one of those cases where ignorance would be more blissful.

Somebody showed me how to do this a while back. We've got an older style meter. So no actual replacing of anything would be required. I haven't acted on it but it's one of those cases where ignorance would be more blissful.

I tried bypassing my electricity meter with a bicycle inner tube, but it turns out that rubber doesn't conduct electricity.

I am worried that these people actually took my advice from the "How Tight Fisted Are You?" thread and were collecting their flatulence in a bin liner. :unsure:

Me and Mrs XYY have most certainly taken your advice on-board, and have spent the day customising our bin-liners in order to collect the maximum free gas.

We have - through cunning use of duck-tape, velcro, elastoplasts and lard - managed to turn our bin-liners into a pair of airtight plastic "onesies" boasting huge 70's style pockets on the trouser bit, and these suits will ensure we can maintain maximum yield on a 24/7 basis and yet still go about our normal business.

So if you're in Peterlee ASDA this weekend, and happen to see a middle-aged couple in the beer aisle that look like a cross between Bertie Bassett and The Michelin Man, that'll be us...!

Why not come over and say "Hi XYY"...!

XYY

I tried bypassing my electricity meter with a bicycle inner tube, but it turns out that rubber doesn't conduct electricity.

Aye! This is where you need borrowed jumper cables! :blink:

Me and Mrs XYY have most certainly taken your advice on-board, and have spent the day customising our bin-liners in order to collect the maximum free gas.

We have - through cunning use of duck-tape, velcro, elastoplasts and lard - managed to turn our bin-liners into a pair of airtight plastic "onesies" boasting huge 70's style pockets on the trouser bit, and these suits will ensure we can maintain maximum yield on a 24/7 basis and yet still go about our normal business.

So if you're in Peterlee ASDA this weekend, and happen to see a middle-aged couple in the beer aisle that look like a cross between Bertie Bassett and The Michelin Man, that'll be us...!

Why not come over and say "Hi XYY"...!

XYY

I am nowhere Peterlee, and never shop in Asda, but i intend to come over anyway. I'll look out for you.

I'll be the bloke in the bakery section, warming his hands on the most recently-baked bread, and with a heat exchanger connected to his colostomy bag.