House Price Crash Forum
Jule

Pray For A Quick Sale

Daily Fail....my favourite Newspaper with another highlight of journalism going straight to readers' hearts :blink: :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551620/Pray-quick-sale-Homeowners-offer-1-000-reward-helps-sell-199-000-chapel-Twitter-Facebook.html

Where's the problem? Knock off 50-100K and the holy grail will be gone!

I'd love to buy a chapel and convert it. Not to a home to live in but a concert venue.

Only, most chapels in this country seem to be blessed with price tags completely out of this world.

Jule

I'd love a chapel to convert (possibly because a childhood friend lived in one and it has good memories!) Although they are rarely done well and usually suffer from very limited outdoor space for some reason

that one looks particularly poorly converted inside.

I'd say it's basically not converted at all. A lick of paint, some "cute" features, end of.

Certainly nowhere near worth 200K.

Maybe it's their way of expressing their lifestyle....who knows? Some of the comments in the DM go along the lines of hippies.....Definitely a hint of flower power in the air!

Yeah, I think they just put all their stuff into the existing building without any conversion!

I've seen a couple of beautiful chapel conversions but to do it properly they are in the mega money range (£600K plus)

I'm surprised anybody would want to move to Corris. It's the most depressing looking place you could imagine for surely half of the year. It's in a kind of valley climbing up a hill/mountain with the reamins of slate quarrying on each side. Employment wise, there would be next to nothing. It's not far from where the paedophile/murderer Mark Bridger had decided to move to from south east London and make his mark on the area. Most people who do move into thes types of places in search of their piece of rural idyll are pretty weird if you ask me. And who on earth wants to go and live in building surrounded by grave-stones?

I have the following suggestion for them since the building clearly needs pulling down and rebuilding.

1) ensure that they have good insurance coverage.

2) Make sure the building and surrounding areas are empty.

3) Pray for it to burn down

4) Get the place rebuilt.

5) Sell it rebuilt for £200k.

Aren't loads of these converted churches' owners getting some chap from the CofE or the Cof W turning up and giving them a 50K bill for some ancient rights going back centuries?

They're ususally nonconformist (methodist or whatever) chapels rather than proper establishment churches, particularly in Wales, so they shouldn't have any of the ancient rights such as the chancel liability attached to them

They're ususally nonconformist (methodist or whatever) chapels rather than proper establishment churches, particularly in Wales, so they shouldn't have any of the ancient rights such as the chancel liability attached to them

Of course, the church was dis-established in Wales in 1920.