House Price Crash Forum
longtomsilver2

Did You Know That You Can Now Pay Your Council Tax Over Twelve Months Instead Of Ten?

The council's have kept quiet about this rule change last year... you can now pay council tax over twelve months and not ten so long as you inform them in advance of the new bill being issued.

I posted this on my social media status and it proved popular for richer for poorer so thought I'd bring this here.

The council's have kept quiet about this rule change last year... you can now pay council tax over twelve months and not ten so long as you inform them in advance of the new bill being issued.

I posted this on my social media status and it proved popular for richer for poorer so thought I'd bring this here.

You've been able to pay it over 12 months for a long time.

I have always paid mine over 12 months. I ring up the ctax department and request to pay over 12 months, cite money difficulties, employment and housing insecurity.

The crafty people at the ctax department try to get you to pay full council tax over the first ten months, and partial council tax bill after application of CTR in a similar way, 1 large payment, then 11 smaller payments.

When we live in a world with no job security and one is moving in and out of employment all the time, on and off of various benefits, we really need to be moving towards a system where benefits and wages are paid by the second.

12 months council tax over ten months makes no sense, when you might easily move house/flat twice in a year, whilst becoming unemployed/starting various forms of employment 6 times in the course of year.

I've been paying my council tax over 12 months since I started paying it 3 years ago! I did ask them if they accepted the payments monthly though.

I've just emailed them to ask to swutch. I'll be ****ed if I am helping their cash flow.

I'm annoyed though as I asked them last year if it were possible to switch to pay them 12 months and the woman insisted it wasn't. I had no idea the law had been changed though.

The councils think they are a law unto themselves and can just keep taking.

Paying over 10 months is actually a good idea... If they timed it so the two months off were December and January. It'd help the vast majority of the country who seem to think Christmas is a reason to spend triple the amount on food and tons of silly gifts for people.

Paying over 10 months is actually a good idea... If they timed it so the two months off were December and January. It'd help the vast majority of the country who seem to think Christmas is a reason to spend triple the amount on food and tons of silly gifts for people.

I see it the other way...they have deliberately weighted it in their own favour so that they are less likely not to be paid in January and February.

As more people cotton on to this I think the more the councils will squeal.

And if you don`t pay it, or only pay it occasionally, they just put you on an arrears account and send mildly threatening letters, which have no real teeth if you have nothing they can take. Would love to know the real figures for this type of payment, it must be rising as the benefits teat gets withdrawn? Many councils to hit the skids in coming years IMO.

Paying over 10 months is actually a good idea... If they timed it so the two months off were December and January.

January is when I get the biggest credit card bill of the year (December purchases to be paid by the end of Jan) so I'm quite happy with Jan and Feb being the two months off council tax. In fact I get 1% cashback on my CC purchases, and I make sure I pay my council tax using my CC to get an effective 1% discount off my council tax as well.

Edited by mrtickle

I tend to pay it as a lump sum. You get bugger all interest on the amount anyway, you remember the genuine stabbing pain of loss rather than the drip-drip through the year, and it's great to have one less bill to worry about for the rest of the year.

I don't do Direct Debit on principle. No-one gets to say when cash is coming out of my account except me.

I'm stiill waiting to hear from them.

I just called the council and the first said she didn't think I could do it.

I said by law you must accept my request...she then sounded very flustered...went quiet for a moment then she then changed her tune and said they were processing my original email but there was a delay of 8 days.

I shall wait 10 working days then phone them back.

It seems they do not want people to change as good a reason to change as any.

I tend to pay it as a lump sum. You get bugger all interest on the amount anyway, you remember the genuine stabbing pain of loss rather than the drip-drip through the year, and it's great to have one less bill to worry about for the rest of the year.

I don't do Direct Debit on principle. No-one gets to say when cash is coming out of my account except me.

I would prefer to pay in a lump sum but won't on principle because the price is the same and I'm damned if I'll give them a years tax in advance with no discount, so direct debit it is.

Called them about this.

Was told that i have to call back after im issued with my bill for 2014/2015 and then they can change it to 12 monthly payments.

However the OP says you need to inform them in advance of the new bill being issued.

So im wondering was i fobbed off by the council and when i have the new bill they will say its too late too change it?

Called them about this.

Was told that i have to call back after i'm issued with my bill for 2014/2015 and then they can change it to 12 monthly payments.

However the OP says you need to inform them in advance of the new bill being issued.

So im wondering was i fobbed off by the council and when i have the new bill they will say its too late too change it?

I suspect you are. I'd call them again and ask directly, say you will go to the national newspapers if this is not sorted. At the end of the day...they are public servants, so serve.

I have my suspicions that If I hadn't called today they'd wait till they'd sent out the bills then say i was too late and would have to do it next year. I will not accept that lying down if that is their game.

I suspect you are. I'd call them again and ask directly, say you will go to the national newspapers if this is not sorted. At the end of the day...they are public servants, so serve.

I have my suspicions that If I hadn't called today they'd wait till they'd sent out the bills then say i was too late and would have to do it next year. I will not accept that lying down if that is their game.

Called again just now, they insist it cannot be changed until my new bill has been issued. Im going to email them and request it in writing.

According to the recent story on the wail my council is the 4th worst in the country for uncollected council tax, adding a £306 avergage cost to the bill.

Called them about this.

Was told that i have to call back after im issued with my bill for 2014/2015 and then they can change it to 12 monthly payments.

I'm only going by what my district council told me and even then I feel the rules are open to interpretation by individual councils. They are sending me a new direct debit instruction which I must write 'pay over twelve monthly instalments' in no particular field and this has to be returned by 23rd February as they have a shut down.

Going by my poll it suggests a few people on here will now be hitting their respective councils with this request so it'd be nice to hear successes and fob off's (I'm feeling the latter but shall see soon enough).

Emailed my local council today. Arranged to pay over 12 months no problem. Mind you they do actually state on the direct debit form that you can pay over 12 months if you tell them. Funnily enough I'd never noticed it before.

Emailed my local council today. Arranged to pay over 12 months no problem. Mind you they do actually state on the direct debit form that you can pay over 12 months if you tell them. Funnily enough I'd never noticed it before.

I have finally had a reply today from my council

"your new Council Tax Bill is issued your payments will be over 12 months."

I assume there will be no premium to pay for this service!!!! Time will tell.

The council's have kept quiet about this rule change last year...

Yeah, those sneaky buggers putting it at the top of the bill, at bus stops, and the doors to toilets. How dare they hide it like that?

OK, it's possible not everyone was that open, but all the councils round here went to fairly extreme lengths to publicise the change last year.

I like paying over 10 months. It feels nice to get 2 months "free", and we bank most of the money and buy ourselves a takeaway with it.

Edited by Monkey

I like paying over 10 months. It feels nice to get 2 months "free", and we bank most of the money and buy ourselves a takeaway with it.

Like most things free from the council, it costs you money :lol:

Had confirmation that my council tax will be taken over 12 months and there is no premium to pay.