House Price Crash Forum

Home Schooling

Si1

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

All these child prodigies seem to be home schooled.

I think the main problem is the social aspect of not being around other kids.

only kid i knew who ended up being home schooled was because he was too disruptive at school. dunno how it worked out though.

I know a homeschooled child, very mature and intelligent and inquisitive. They do a lot of outside group activities though, both with other kids and also mixed age groups.

Yes I can see the child being at home all day with just the parents would be socially weird. But there are plenty of non-school group activities for kids to go to.

Also demepnd show the home schooling runs as well I suppose, there must be a continuum from ex-schooltecher parent ploughing grimly through the GCSE curriculum, to libertarian child-directed learning and complete anarchy.

HOLA444
HOLA445

My slightly estranged dad home-schooled his daughter into a scholarship somewhere. She's now at Oxford, rows, debates and is lined up for one of the Inns of Court I believe.

if thats what you're looking for I suppose...

I have never actually met her but I believe she's pleasant enough

P

That sounds a pretty good effort from them both, if, as you say, that's what they wanted.

You've never met your sister?

HOLA446

My slightly estranged dad home-schooled his daughter into a scholarship somewhere. She's now at Oxford, rows, debates and is lined up for one of the Inns of Court I believe.

if thats what you're looking for I suppose...

Intriguing story. Is that a scholarship for a public school at secondary level? I take your schooling was different?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I couldnt do it.

Nor me. It would be an enormous commitment in terms of both time and loss of earnings, and I'm not at all sure that I could give my lad a well rounded education or, indeed, manage to retain his interest. It seems a lot better to me for him to go to school and learn the usual stuff with other kids, and then I can chat with him about interesting stuff at home (and ensure that he maintains a healthy scepticism to the religious pap they dish out in school). I'm just about to do my first PC build, and I'm looking forward to sharing the experience with him.

HOLA4410

Anyone know any kids that have been home schooled and how has it gone?

Yeah, my wife home schooled our daughter. She finished uni last summer and has job doing exactly what she trained to do.

I'd like to say I had a hand in it as it all worked out well, but I didn't.

It was my wife's idea and she did the whole thing. My wife got her through (I)GCSEs and then my daughter went to a local college for A' levels.

Looking back on it, it was much easier than you might think. My daughter lived the life of Riley. It took a fraction of the time to get her work out of the way and then she had the rest of the day to herself. We lived in the sticks in a big house with grounds and she was always down the local stables. Eventually we bought her a horse and she spent much of her day riding it all over the place.

Poor child! :(

HOLA4411

Yeah, my wife home schooled our daughter. She finished uni last summer and has job doing exactly what she trained to do.

It was my wife's idea and she did the whole thing. My wife got her through (I)GCSEs and then my daughter went to a local college for A' levels.

Looking back on it, it was much easier than you might think. My daughter lived the life of Riley. It took a fraction of the time to get her work out of the way and then she had the rest of the day to herself. We lived in the sticks in a big house with grounds and she was always down the local stables. Eventually we bought her a horse and she spent much of her day riding it all over the place.

It is the Year of the Whorse again? Apparently.

HOLA4412

Nor me. It would be an enormous commitment in terms of both time and loss of earnings, and I'm not at all sure that I could give my lad a well rounded education or, indeed, manage to retain his interest. It seems a lot better to me for him to go to school and learn the usual stuff with other kids, and then I can chat with him about interesting stuff at home (and ensure that he maintains a healthy scepticism to the religious pap they dish out in school). I'm just about to do my first PC build, and I'm looking forward to sharing the experience with him.

Yes, well, things I learned outside the school gates, were just as useful!

HOLA4413

So what was your wife riding all over the place in her spare time?

Just joking - that's an excellent way to grow up if you have the means and an appropriately gifted parent who is willing to do it.

HOLA4414

Just joking - that's an excellent way to grow up if you have the means and an appropriately gifted parent who is willing to do it.

+1

HOLA4415

What 'means'?

I've spent a fair amount of time over the last 14 years being unemployed or underemployed.

We rented an apartment in a big house which had grounds. It was cheap because the house was falling to bits.

My wife was initially working as an agency nurse and then later in a health care call centre type job from home.

For a brief spell of about 4 years I was self employed and earned not much more than the national average (although there were tax benefits) and that when we bought her the horse. They are cheap to buy but cost about the same as a small car to run.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

What is that some sort of clever play on words?

See other thread regarding Chinese new Year! I wish I could take credit for it, but the BBC beat me to it! :blink:

HOLA4418

My siblings and I were occasionally home schooled and occasionally independently educated at boarding school. And did time in the state system. My parents were (are) disorganised hippies.

Home schooling was excellent. Covered more ground in less time and spent the rest of the day going fishing and on long walks. It doesn't have to be just parents teaching - you can bring in tutors to cover stuff you're weak on (or just to add variety).

I wish I'd home educated my kids, really. Not for their sake (they've absolutely loved their time at school) but for mine. They're practically grown up now and I've missed it. Instead of spending days with them doing a bit of maths and a bit of fishing, I've sat at a desk earning money to send them away to school. Half a million quid and twenty years locked in an office. How utterly, utterly sad is that?

HOLA4419

My siblings and I were occasionally home schooled and occasionally independently educated at boarding school. And did time in the state system. My parents were (are) disorganised hippies.

Home schooling was excellent. Covered more ground in less time and spent the rest of the day going fishing and on long walks. It doesn't have to be just parents teaching - you can bring in tutors to cover stuff you're weak on (or just to add variety).

I wish I'd home educated my kids, really. Not for their sake (they've absolutely loved their time at school) but for mine. They're practically grown up now and I've missed it. Instead of spending days with them doing a bit of maths and a bit of fishing, I've sat at a desk earning money to send them away to school. Half a million quid and twenty years locked in an office. How utterly, utterly sad is that?

Are the walls of your "office" rather padded, and is there just a tiny window? :blink:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

What 'means'?

I've spent a fair amount of time over the last 14 years being unemployed or underemployed.

We rented an apartment in a big house which had grounds. It was cheap because the house was falling to bits.

My wife was initially working as an agency nurse and then later in a health care call centre type job from home.

For a brief spell of about 4 years I was self employed and earned not much more than the national average (although there were tax benefits) and that when we bought her the horse. They are cheap to buy but cost about the same as a small car to run.

In which case allow me to congratulate you on your choices.

Archived