House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Lost A Partition....

I lost a partition on my laptop today <_<

I clicked to access it and it was running super slow. Then it froze, so clicking "end process" became necessary. Except it ended it by terminating it's existence completely :angry:

That's around 500gb space gone. I actually don't care too much about the data because I back up religiously anyway. But I would like that space back. I tried Mini Tool Power Data Recovery and it certainly found a load of files, but I didn't recognise any of them or anything that immediately looked like the missing partition.

Any recommendations for straight forward and effective software to deal with this tedious issue?

I lost a partition on my laptop today dry.gif

I clicked to access it and it was running super slow. Then it froze, so clicking "end process" became necessary. Except it ended it by terminating it's existence completely :angry:

That's around 500gb space gone. I actually don't care too much about the data because I back up religiously anyway. But I would like that space back. I tried Mini Tool Power Data Recovery and it certainly found a load of files, but I didn't recognise any of them or anything that immediately looked like the missing partition.

Any recommendations for straight forward and effective software to deal with this tedious issue?

Start by looking in Disk Manager (Start, then right click Computer, then "Manage", then "Logical Disk Manager" or some such)

Do you see the partition in there?

Start by looking in Disk Manager (Start, then right click Computer, then "Manage", then "Logical Disk Manager" or some such)

Do you see the partition in there?

No, it's not listed there. Completely vanished.

Others will be able to help you morw, but as it's 4:00am and it may be urgent , you might want to try a partition manager like EASUS. (freeware)

Here are some key features of "EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition":

· Resize/Move partition

· Extend NTFS system partition without reboot

· Recover files from deleted or lost partition

Although I suspect if it's partitions are disppearing, then very bad things are about to happen.

Others will be able to help you morw, but as it's 4:00am and it may be urgent , you might want to try a partition manager like EASUS. (freeware)

Although I suspect if it's partitions are disppearing, then very bad things are about to happen.

Thanks for the link, I'll try it. And it did cross my mind that very bad things are about to happen :(

You may need a new disk! I fitted one last week. I suppose it has been going for five years, so I can't complain.

Thanks for the link, I'll try it. And it did cross my mind that very bad things are about to happen :(

Does the disc contain data that are important and not available elsewhere? If so, tut tut. :rolleyes:

If you are in that situation, your best chance is to take the disc out of use. Attach it to another machine, use a utility like fdisk to examine your partitions, and mount partitions read-only to retrieve essential data. If a partition is too damaged to mount, you can try repairing with fsck.

If any of that is gobbeldygook to you, consult a geek!

No, it's not listed there. Completely vanished.

A silly question perhaps but how many disks does your laptop have? It appears that you have booted your machine successfully since the problem so the system should at least see the physical system disk in Disk Manager.

Could it be that you had two disks fitted and one of them has failed - that would be compatible with a clicking noise (from the dying drive) followed by 500GB going AWOL.

If the disk hardware is still recognised then I would definitely expect any unused areas to show in Disk Manager.

http://www.minitool-partitionrecovery.com/

Mini Tool Partition Recovery.

I've used this in the past to recover lost partitions.

Although Easeus Partition Manager has a similar facility.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

Partition Wizard Boot CD - just download the ISO and burn to CD, use something like imgburn to put it on a CD correctly if you end up with a CD with a .iso file on it you've done it wrong.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

Paragon Rescue Kit another boot CD.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Test Disk is slightly more complex to use.

If the disk is still working you should be able to recover the partition.

change it.

your File tables have been lost....that is most likely due to a failing disk...

If you repair it, then there is a great risk the thing will fail more dramatically next time...and HDDs cost peanuts.

change it.

your File tables have been lost....that is most likely due to a failing disk...

If you repair it, then there is a great risk the thing will fail more dramatically next time...and HDDs cost peanuts.

Sorry disagree with that, I've lost partitions before and the disks have been fine.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

I'd suggest running seatools on the drive to check it.

Sorry disagree with that, I've lost partitions before and the disks have been fine.

http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/

Happy for another view.

But for the sake of a few quid...Id replace it.

For your information, some disk scanners only report on useable sectors, so a drive can scan as 100% error free, but that could be because bad sectors have been marked unusable by the previous scan....if on subsequent scans more bad sectors are detected, then that is a sign of a fast failing disk.

Dell support for one, will have a user reporting bad sectors have them run one of their utils with the fixall command...the disk then scans as clean...then invariably fails later

Happy for another view.

But for the sake of a few quid...Id replace it.

For your information, some disk scanners only report on useable sectors, so a drive can scan as 100% error free, but that could be because bad sectors have been marked unusable by the previous scan....if on subsequent scans more bad sectors are detected, then that is a sign of a fast failing disk.

Dell support for one, will have a user reporting bad sectors have them run one of their utils with the fixall command...the disk then scans as clean...then invariably fails later

http://www.dposoft.net/

I've ran this tool on HDD's before HDD Regenerator, if that flags up a few bad sectors that can't be recovered I've binned the disc.

In the past I've found that a zero wipe can rectify some disk problems, however if this process stalls I bin the disk.

http://www.dposoft.net/

I've ran this tool on HDD's before HDD Regenerator, if that flags up a few bad sectors that can't be recovered I've binned the disc.

In the past I've found that a zero wipe can rectify some disk problems, however if this process stalls I bin the disk.

Lots of good tools out there, but the poster should be aware that there are a number of reasons possible in a failing hard disk.

If the disk is "losing" data over time then that could well be corrosion on the platter, which will spread over time. Other causes are bearing failures and physical damage.. 50g at the heads is the limit for many hard drives and that sounds like they are pretty tough...but that translates to a bare drive being dropped 1/2inch onto a table top....less if its onto concrete....and as I used to sell HDDS for a Western Digital Disti, I was somewhat dismayed to visit an OEM who had his staff remove the drives on delivery from the package and slap them on bare shelves....amazing any of them survived...

Does the disc contain data that are important and not available elsewhere? If so, tut tut. :rolleyes:

Reading my initial post answers this question i.e. "I actually don't care too much about the data because I back up religiously anyway."

A silly question perhaps but how many disks does your laptop have? It appears that you have booted your machine successfully since the problem so the system should at least see the physical system disk in Disk Manager.

Could it be that you had two disks fitted and one of them has failed - that would be compatible with a clicking noise (from the dying drive) followed by 500GB going AWOL.

If the disk hardware is still recognised then I would definitely expect any unused areas to show in Disk Manager.

That's a good question, and I don't know the answer. I don't hear any clicking noise. But it could explain the way this "partition" started to slow and eventually failed. I'm not sure how to check that.

http://www.minitool-partitionrecovery.com/

Mini Tool Partition Recovery.

I've used this in the past to recover lost partitions.

Although Easeus Partition Manager has a similar facility.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

Partition Wizard Boot CD - just download the ISO and burn to CD, use something like imgburn to put it on a CD correctly if you end up with a CD with a .iso file on it you've done it wrong.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

Paragon Rescue Kit another boot CD.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Test Disk is slightly more complex to use.

If the disk is still working you should be able to recover the partition.

Thanks for the links, that gives me something to work with. I tried Mini Tools and couldn't understand it. Maybe it becomes clearer if you buy the full version heh. It found files but none from the drive in question....

change it.

The thought of loading an OS all over again and starting from scratch doesn't thrill me.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

Thanks I'll add that to my list of links.

Right now I'm running EASUS. It's been running since last night and still going strong....

I'm still wondering if there are two physical discs in there though :ph34r:

Try booting a Linux live CD to see if you can find the missing partition. Use the 'dd' command to copy any data off the drive (will take some time).

Reading my initial post answers this question i.e. "I actually don't care too much about the data because I back up religiously anyway."

That's a good question, and I don't know the answer. I don't hear any clicking noise. But it could explain the way this "partition" started to slow and eventually failed. I'm not sure how to check that.

Thanks for the links, that gives me something to work with. I tried Mini Tools and couldn't understand it. Maybe it becomes clearer if you buy the full version heh. It found files but none from the drive in question....

The thought of loading an OS all over again and starting from scratch doesn't thrill me.

Thanks I'll add that to my list of links.

Right now I'm running EASUS. It's been running since last night and still going strong....

I'm still wondering if there are two physical discs in there though :ph34r:

there arent many laptops that have two physical drives...many have one with two partitions, usually the second containing the recovery software. If it was my lappy, id be gathering the required software to make a fresh install...just in case.

My toshiba has 5 partitions from the factory....I just looked for the first time

Well, EASUS crashed after running for about 12 hours and almost completing. I think I'm flogging a dead horse? Maybe the drive is gonna go and there's nothing I can do about it.

Would a fresh install actually do any good? If the drive is corrupt won't it happen again after install?

Well, EASUS crashed after running for about 12 hours and almost completing. I think I'm flogging a dead horse? Maybe the drive is gonna go and there's nothing I can do about it.

Would a fresh install actually do any good? If the drive is corrupt won't it happen again after install?

If you have an OEM install disk and you have given up trying to recover, then it can be as simple as putting the disk in and choosing your options...will depend on the make of PC and what utilities they helpfully installed.

If its genuine windows disk, then pop it in and reboot, most machines will boot from the DVD/CD and you follow the instructions...there will be a section on formatting the drive...if this fails at this stage, then your drive is prolly a gonna...but also, if its virus or hacking that has caused the failure, then you will be clear and free.

You may be able to install to the space left by the missing partition...then you later can use the original C drive as data and all your data will be available...not programs though.

Its a pain to reinstall all your stuff though, there is no doubt.

Good luck

http://findandmount.com/

Painless Partition Recovery

Partition Find & Mount implements a new concept of deleted or lost partition recovery. It works in the most convenient way possible — by locating and mounting partitions into the system, thus making those lost partitions available to you like any generic disk volume. Partition Find & Mount will also work in case any Boot Record (including the Master Boot Record) is missing, damaged or overwritten.

Partition Find & Mount is:

Easy to use. You do not need special knowledge to use the software.

Safe to your data. There is no possible way you could get things worse.

Free for personal use. Use it as much as you like.

This may get your data back I've had success with this in the past.

However if you get the data back I'd back up the data and wipe the drive and repartition it, unless you just want to play safe and go for a new drive.

Just read this, if your drive has hundreds of gb of data it may take a long time, however from your description it sounds fecked.

Buy a new one.

http://findandmount.com/

This may get your data back I've had success with this in the past.

However if you get the data back I'd back up the data and wipe the drive and repartition it, unless you just want to play safe and go for a new drive.

Find and Mount.....sounds sort of Royal suiter search....was that how Charley found Cummilla?

Try booting a Linux live CD to see if you can find the missing partition. Use the 'dd' command to copy any data off the drive (will take some time).

+1

This is definitely the best thing to do.

Perhaps download and use one of the following:

SystemRescueCd

Knoppix

GParted Live

Ubuntu Rescue Remix

also you could use Ddrescue to do the data copy, but it needs a Linux distro running as it isn't a Live image.