House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blobloblob

Crappest Museums

Following an earlier remark by SarahBell I now realise I'm only a fairly short drive from not one but two textile museums. I guess they're of value to someone, although for the life of me I can't think why, but it got me asking myself - what is the crappest museum of all?

Answers on a postcard to The Museum Of Answers On Postcards please. Or just post them below.

Following an earlier remark by SarahBell I now realise I'm only a fairly short drive from not one but two textile museums. I guess they're of value to someone, although for the life of me I can't think why, but it got me asking myself - what is the crappest museum of all?

Answers on a postcard to The Museum Of Answers On Postcards please. Or just post them below.

Post them below what?

The National Space Museum in Leicester is particularly awful, especially as it costs about 15 quid for a pair of adults to have the shit patronised out of them in the most infantile museum on planet Earth.

Far better by a HUGE factor is the free Abbey (water) Pumping Station Museum that practically shares a car park with its more illustrious commercial partner - where else in the world can you flush a toilet and watch a brown plastic jobbie meander its way through a transparent representation of the sewers of the Midlands...?

Love the irony of a shit museum next-door to a museum of shit... :)

XYY

I remember the Grosvenor Museum in Chester being spectacularly awful in the 90s. If someone had told me they'd been robbed and someone had left a pile of dismembered animal parts in place of the exhibits - I'd have believed them.

My first visit to MuseƩ Bardo in Tunis was quite an experience. None of the frankly amazing mosiacs had any descriptions or labels. Thankfully, the Rough Guide I had with me did a very good job of filling in the blanks.

The National Space Museum in Leicester is particularly awful, especially as it costs about 15 quid for a pair of adults to have the shit patronised out of them in the most infantile museum on planet Earth.

Far better by a HUGE factor is the free Abbey (water) Pumping Station Museum that practically shares a car park with its more illustrious commercial partner - where else in the world can you flush a toilet and watch a brown plastic jobbie meander its way through a transparent representation of the sewers of the Midlands...?

Love the irony of a shit museum next-door to a museum of shit... :)

XYY

What six year old wouldn't love that? :blink:

How about the "Booth Museum" in Brighton? B)

Peoples' History Museum in Manchester!

Celebrates the working class movement. There was a whole section on the mites that live in the trade union banners/flags! Ridiculous!

Much as I like that they exist folk / local museums are usually dire: here's a crude wooden chair and table. Look, somebody actually sat on that chair and ate their lunch off it.

As Terry Pratchett said: like it or not history is Kings and Queens.

And museums are where special and precious things are kept.

As my family (and I have inherited this) are sticklers for keeping things whilst they still work and buying second hand I was amused to see some wartime reproductions of "how we used to live" and see that it resembled my grandparents' house from the 70s at a point the museums would have you believe we were all filling our houses with Habitat / Conran furniture and wearing PVC.

Ahh yes. Would that be the Castle Museum in York? Iquite like that one actually even if it makes you feel like a walking exhibit.

article-1365964-0B2B249100000578-115_634x426.jpg

Why the Ascot when there's two taps over the butler sink? just curious....

Ed. Doh! The other "hot" tap would be from the back-boiler, no good in the summer. Stupid me!

Crap is actually sometimes quite good.

The waxworks at Great Yarmouth was so crap I imagine it was an hilarious and a slightly weird experience (the dummies are quite sinister)....certainly looks more fun than Madame Tussauds and indeed that it what many of the customers thought and it became a must see attraction..............

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9648335/Louis-Tussauds-House-of-Wax-quiz-guess-the-celebrity-waxworks.html

Ahh yes. Would that be the Castle Museum in York? Iquite like that one actually even if it makes you feel like a walking exhibit.

This was Flambards (Helston) Britain in the Blitz; though I recognise that kitchen from my other grandparents. Funny how the male mannequins always look like Neville Chamberlain.

9384374627_ea26fbcbfa_z.jpg

:lol: Thankyou. You've given us here a big laugh. Strangely, I got more than half of them right but I don't know how.

Hall of Celebrities or Chamber of Horrors ? ( no comment on the celebrity but on this sinister wax creation)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9648335/Louis-Tussauds-House-of-Wax-quiz-guess-the-celebrity-waxworks.html?frame=2385640

This one has been on this forum before, the 50 million pound Doncaster Earth Centre. They got virtually no visitors and I think people concluded it was a National Museum of Soil. That wasn't quite true, but from the Wiki description it is still difficult to know what it was all about..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Centre,_Doncaster

The Hat Museum in Stockport

I assumed this meant a collection of hats from over the centuries, which thinking of the various fashions over the years (and military to boot) it might be quite interesting. But it doesn't seem to be a costume museum at all, in fact I am not sure what it is, the multi coloured examples (including a yellow builders helmet circa 2012) doesn't inspire me with any confidence...............

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/leisureculture/visitstockport/museumsandgalleries/hatworks/?view=Standard

This is about the weirdest place I have ever been to

Glenshee Fashion Museum

Address

4350 Dansey's Pass Road, Naseby, Central Otago, Naseby

Telephone

The late Eden Hore was responsible for one of New Zealand's most impressive single collections of fashion. His museum of 1970s fashion gowns has more than 200 items and is famous in New Zealand fashion circles. The museum is part of the Glenshee Park Homestead, set in 1.2ha of landscaped gardens that include a large fountain. Also on show are 500 Jim Beam decanters, an incredible mounted-animal collection including a large Himalayan yak, and Franklin Mint Heirloom Doll display. The Gallery is really worth a stop to see the Fashion of the 1970s. This extensive collection has many Benson and Hedges Award-winning garments on show. The museum is situated 8km from Naseby on the Dansey's Pass Rd.