House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

New Top Gear

I liked that. Bit surprised as they usually start with a weak episode and then build up to a finale at the end of the series.

XR2i, Nova SRI, and Golf GTI. Brilliant cars all.

Buggery! I missed it! Always nice to see cars I can't afford, but Jeremy can. :angry:

Buggery! I missed it! Always nice to see cars I can't afford, but Jeremy can. :angry:

You didn't miss much IMO.

I still quite enjoy the special challenges abroad etc, but the standard show is very tired indeed, as you might expect

I liked that. Bit surprised as they usually start with a weak episode and then build up to a finale at the end of the series.

XR2i, Nova SRI, and Golf GTI. Brilliant cars all.

I thought it was weak.

Last series had a couple of v. Good shows.

Only caught the last ten minutes. I thought that it seemed rather silly even by Top Gear standards. Still entertaining enough for sticking my feet up and switching my brain off, but I can't help feeling that it could do with a rest for a couple of years.

I thought the opposite. Same ol' same 'ol. Overall I like Top Gear and Clarkson but he is often unfunny and there were multiple moments of unfunniness tonight.

Last episode I truly loved was the car vs motorbike vs steam train race.

I thought the opposite. Same ol' same 'ol. Overall I like Top Gear and Clarkson but he is often unfunny and there were multiple moments of unfunniness tonight.

Last episode I truly loved was the car vs motorbike vs steam train race.

A lot must come down to what cars you like. I have zip interest in exotic cars or celebrities so those are my go and make a cup of tea moment whereas for many people the unveiling of the new Ferrari is a major event. If some £200k+ sports car and the new Range Rover / AMG whetever dominate the programme then it's a thumbs down from me. There was some sports car stuff at the start of the programme ?Lamborghini I was totally tuned out for that bit.

I have always however yearned for an XR2 (not even an XR2i - that's a bit flash) so it was great to see what I'd get if I bought one of those sub £1k ones that keep tempting me. The programme worked as a consumer test for ragged 80s hot hatches, treat them a bit rough and they will rapidly go very badly wrong.

It's classics that I really like, but not the reverential "it took me ten years to get this Allegro back on the road and now it's better than when it left the showroom" approach you usually get.

Damn, forgot all about it, will have to catch it on iplayer.

Which Golf GTI? assume mk2 if other two were from late 80's?

Thought the challenges were getting a bit too long in the last couple of series, would rather see a bit more road tests or classics driven.

Completely rubbish episode.

I think they need to have two Top Gear shows on a week. One for people who actually like cars, and one for people who just want to watch inferior comedy involving 3 old men.

Shockingly bad.

I thought the "don't try this at home" section was really good, the "police chase" was tedious but mostly it was OK. Something actually watchable on the BBC is a rare thing for me.

There was a preview of a quadski on the "this series" montage, which could be excellent. If you don't know what a quadski is:

It did have a lot of promise - I liked the segment where they compared it to a modern hot hatch (Ibiza) - but the bit at the end in the abandoned army camp just dragged.

If they'd picked decent examples of old hot hatches and compared them to their modern equivalents, that would have been v interesting (I remember 5th Gear doing it with the MK1 and latest MX5s some years back). Just after I passed my test I used to drive my Dad's Dolomite which I loved. I sometimes wonder how it would compare to modern cars...

It did have a lot of promise - I liked the segment where they compared it to a modern hot hatch (Ibiza) - but the bit at the end in the abandoned army camp just dragged.

If they'd picked decent examples of old hot hatches and compared them to their modern equivalents, that would have been v interesting (I remember 5th Gear doing it with the MK1 and latest MX5s some years back). Just after I passed my test I used to drive my Dad's Dolomite which I loved. I sometimes wonder how it would compare to modern cars...

They did a series of drag races comparing just that a few series ago, IIRC sometimes the old versions one.

A lot must come down to what cars you like. I have zip interest in exotic cars or celebrities so those are my go and make a cup of tea moment whereas for many people the unveiling of the new Ferrari is a major event. If some £200k+ sports car and the new Range Rover / AMG whetever dominate the programme then it's a thumbs down from me. There was some sports car stuff at the start of the programme ?Lamborghini I was totally tuned out for that bit.

I have always however yearned for an XR2 (not even an XR2i - that's a bit flash) so it was great to see what I'd get if I bought one of those sub £1k ones that keep tempting me. The programme worked as a consumer test for ragged 80s hot hatches, treat them a bit rough and they will rapidly go very badly wrong.

It's classics that I really like, but not the reverential "it took me ten years to get this Allegro back on the road and now it's better than when it left the showroom" approach you usually get.

I am afraid I would look like a "right dildo" in a Ferrari, and I never wanted a Porsche! I'm quite interested in the "more ordinary" that can be had for sensible money.

I'm quite looking forward to the review on the BMW hybrid supercar.. it's these sort of things innovations that eventually lead to something I could afford - eventually.

Who was the celeb? I think this series we'll have to see the reasonably priced car rolled on the entry to Gambon. Perhaps a bit of brain damage. "Tough luck to everyone hoping Keira Knightly would sign up for Pirates of the Caribbean VII. And on that bombshell ..."

I'm quite looking forward to the review on the BMW hybrid supercar.. it's these sort of things innovations that eventually lead to something I could afford - eventually.

In 2015 (already out in Japan) Honda are releasing the new hybrid Jazz in Europe. Dull, you may think. Well, it's not a BMW sports hybrid or a Tesla but....

It has 134 bhp(which is 20 more than the 1980s Golf GTI Clarkson was driving in the recent episode of TG), a proper 7-speed auto box not a nasty CVT, is a miracle of space inside so very practical when necessary, sharpish handling if not GTI class, and will do about 75-80 mpg real-life. That'll do for me, I guess I'm not a petrolhead.....

I watched it with the kids last night, it was good enough until that whole sequence about 70s cop-chase - tedious.

Why didn't they have a Pug205 1.9Gti on it? I had one in the eighties and it was brilliant. Or was I just young :)

You're right they were brilliant, a mate had one it was like a go kart with doors. Dead basic and lightweight without all the modern day safety equipment required now.

You're right they were brilliant, a mate had one it was like a go kart with doors. Dead basic and lightweight without all the modern day safety equipment required now.

They were excellent for population control of young idiots who believed they were good drivers.

One extra touch of the throttle in a wet leafy corner and it was hello ditch/hedge/trees.

They were excellent for population control of young idiots who believed they were good drivers.

One extra touch of the throttle in a wet leafy corner and it was hello ditch/hedge/trees.

I thought it was lift 'off' oversteer

I thought it was lift 'off' oversteer

You may well be right, I only drove one once, on a wet and cold country road, and frankly it seemed a bit lairy, I wasn't that big a fan.

I prefer cars with more grip like the WRX I had later.

They were front wheel drive and very easy to drive. If someone found them hard they should probably stick to a nice little Honda automatic!

Haha.

The death toll in the 1980/90s Cotswolds would suggest otherwise. Maybe they just attracted d*ckheads, certainly the later replacement, I forget it's name, was driven by a4seholes who always wanted to harass me when I was driving the WRX.

I didn't watch it but its interesting they keep looking to the past when fuel was cheaper and cars were less burdened by nannying aids. The average cars nowadays are so boring. Skinny tires, light weight and no intrusions on fun, I wish they could do something like that - e.g. Integra DC2, 106 rallye.