Woody Allen

LC1

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest TheBlueCat

Roman Polanski really takes the biscuit impo.

No-one seems to mind at all.

Agreed, a totally vile individual. What I don't get is how the left, who on the whole seem happy to point at someone and scream 'paedophile' for no good reason at all, seem to like him. Makes no sense to me at all. And his films are sh1t.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Nor me.

Bar ten minutes of The Sleeper I don't rate his films either.

Spooky - if anyone had asked me my opinion of Woody Allen, I would have answered almost word-for-word with what you just said there Frank.

Maybe we should adjourn to the 'Doubles' thread, and compare exactly *which* ten minutes of 'Sleeper' we're talkin' about here 'bro'... ;)

XYY

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Spooky - if anyone had asked me my opinion of Woody Allen, I would have answered almost word-for-word with what you just said there Frank.

In that case I'll offer a dissenting voice, and opine that Small Time Crooks was OK, but the rest of his output is a narcissistic wänkfest (and indeed, that film has been accused of plagiarising the script of a little-known indie comedy made a few years earlier, IMO much underrated but which disappeared without trace, Palookaville). Working in the cinema biz in the '90s, much of the time in arthouse venues of the sort frequented by Allen buffs, one of my least pleasant duties was to have to conduct a print-check viewing of whatever was his latest pic. In particular, at one venue I worked, I usually ran these screenings after the last show finished early in the week before it opened (to allow time to request a replacement print if we found anything wrong). There would usually be an audience of 20-30 staff members, their other halves and friends for these screenings ... except when the movie was a Woody Allen pic, in which case I'd frequently be the only one in there. Deconstructing Harry and Wild Man Blues stick in my mind as especially self-indulgent sh!te, though Annie Hall has to be the supreme example.

All that having been said, I find it telling that his daughter has taken to the media with her kiddie-fiddling allegations just as Academy members are in the process of making up their minds who/what to vote for in the Oscars.

As for Polanski, I did once get a letter of complaint when we showed a re-release of Chinatown - didn't I know that I was endorsing child rape by showing this movie, etc. etc. (given that the film itself depicts the villain getting away with incest and his principal victim being killed in the final scene, thereby ensuring that he'll never face justice, the complainant had a point, regardless of Polanski's private life)? The difference between Polanski and Allen is that the former has actually been convicted, which makes it all the more bizarre that the leftie intelligentsia are so keen to defend him.

HOLA4413

Maybe we should adjourn to the 'Doubles' thread, and compare exactly *which* ten minutes of 'Sleeper' we're talkin' about here 'bro'... ;)

XYY

Im guessing this is the "nobody move or i shoot your president" scene, and the giant fruit and veg scene.

Or maybe the Orgasmatron scene.

All quite good scenes.

HOLA4414

Roman Polanski really takes the biscuit impo.

So apart from the Rosemary's Baby, the Chinatown, the Tess, the Dance of the Vampire Slayers, the Frantic and the paedophilia, what have the Roman (Polanskis) ever done for us...?

;)

XYY

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I don't mind Woody Allen's films on the whole, but I wouldn't seek them out nowadays as they don't really speak to me. Apart from anything else the inevitable and obnoxious jazz playing over the same old title sequences make my heart sink a little.

Blue Jasmine, a recent one, is a good example. Probably the first film of his I've watched in nearly a decade. Great performance by Cate Blanchett. Maybe even a career best. But I can't bring myself to care about anyone in it because they are all so unlikeable and living superficial lives. The film was basically just wallpaper in the end. I think he hasn't really made anything interesting for a couple of decades or more.

Polanski has greater range - and much of his output is watchable enough. Carnage was rather forced but an interesting experiment. But again, not much of huge note for nearly a couple of decades.

Either way, both are massively overrated and coasting on past reputations.

HOLA4417

Hey, before y'all string him up you might just want to consider the possibility that Allen is innocent and Dylan Farrow is full of it. All we have is her word.

Yet people seem ready to believe anything against him now in light of his marriage to "stepdaughter" Soon Yi Previn despite the facts that she was no blood relation to Allen, didn't live in the same house, their relationship didn't begin until she was 19, they didn't have sex until she turned 21, and are now married.

All pretty nauseating in the absence of proof.

HOLA4418

Hey, before y'all string him up you might just want to consider the possibility that Allen is innocent and Dylan Farrow is full of it. All we have is her word.

which is (sort of) why I raised the subject of Polanski

First and foremost, Polanski's actually been convicted and there's an (impo) unsettling overlap between some of the recurring themes in his work - specifically occultism and jailbait (with or without an incestuous element) - and his own life. And, yet, or maybe because of, Polanski is cool in Intelligentsialand

Allen hasn't been convicted and his work strikes me as being more about angst than abuse.

and fwiw there are scenes in Bananas, Love and Death, Play It Again Sam, Everything You Wanted to Know About S3X, as well as Sleeper which I think are still pretty funny. The thing is they were all made in the space of 3-4 years before the epic, multi-decadal, self-indulgent w@nkathon started rolling.

HOLA4419

which is (sort of) why I raised the subject of Polanski

First and foremost, Polanski's actually been convicted and there's an (impo) unsettling overlap between some of the recurring themes in his work - specifically occultism and jailbait (with or without an incestuous element) - and his own life. And, yet, or maybe because of, Polanski is cool in Intelligentsialand

Allen hasn't been convicted and his work strikes me as being more about angst than abuse.

and fwiw there are scenes in Bananas, Love and Death, Play It Again Sam, Everything You Wanted to Know About S3X, as well as Sleeper which I think are still pretty funny. The thing is they were all made in the space of 3-4 years before the epic, multi-decadal, self-indulgent w@nkathon started rolling.

"Most of the time I don't have much fun. The rest of the time I don't have any fun at all."

- Woody Allen

HOLA4420

Yet people seem ready to believe anything against him now in light of his marriage to "stepdaughter" Soon Yi Previn despite the facts that she was no blood relation to Allen, didn't live in the same house, their relationship didn't begin until she was 19, they didn't have sex until she turned 21, and are now married.

All pretty nauseating in the absence of proof.

He basically looks the part, that is what plays against him with the public, but the luvvies need someone to fawn over so he will keep getting awards. Oh and according to one of the links on here his biological son seems to think he did it as well?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Agreed, a totally vile individual. What I don't get is how the left, who on the whole seem happy to point at someone and scream 'paedophile' for no good reason at all, seem to like him. Makes no sense to me at all. And his films are sh1t.

Polanski did not exactly have a normal childhood did he? Some of it was spent in the Cracow Ghetto watching his neighbours, friends and family carted off for extermination. Both his parents were sent to concentration camps. His father went to Mauthausen while his mother was killed in Auschwitz. Polanski only survived by escaping the ghetto, changing his name and pretending to be Catholic Pole. Later his second wife Sharon Tate and their unborn child were butchered by the Manson family. With those life experiences I am not surprised he is a little messed in the head.

Ironically, testimony from Mia Farrow helped Polanski win a libel claim against Vanity Fair in London in 2004.

HOLA4423
Guest TheBlueCat

Polanski did not exactly have a normal childhood did he? Some of it was spent in the Cracow Ghetto watching his neighbours, friends and family carted off for extermination. Both his parents were sent to concentration camps. His father went to Mauthausen while his mother was killed in Auschwitz. Polanski only survived by escaping the ghetto, changing his name and pretending to be Catholic Pole. Later his second wife Sharon Tate and their unborn child were butchered by the Manson family. With those life experiences I am not surprised he is a little messed in the head.

Ironically, testimony from Mia Farrow helped Polanski win a libel claim against Vanity Fair in London in 2004.

Are you saying you think that excuses him raping a 13 year old girl? I may weep for him as a child but, as an adult, I want the sick mother-f*cker locked up and rotting in a prison cell.

HOLA4424

I'm not sure how ironic it is but Allen signed a petition calling for Polanski's release when Polanski was arrested in Switzerland a few years back...

Over 100 In Film Community Sign Polanski Petition

fair play to Luc Besson for not signing it afaic

The reaction from some luvvies to Polanski's arrest was very peculiar impo. I don't believe anyone was denying that Polanski had drugged and sodomised a 13 year old. However, he apparently deserved a pass because...

- per the petition, arresting convicted child rapists attending international cultural events is bad form, besides the assault took place ages ago

- according to Whoopi Goldberg it wasn't 'rape-rape'

- and my 'favourite', from the Huffington Post, says something about the Swiss having to let Polanski off because they only gave women the vote in recent years, plus...

But there is more to this story. The 13-year old model "seduced" by Polanski had been thrust onto him by her mother, who wanted her in the movies. The girl was just a few weeks short of her 14th birthday, which was the age of consent in California. (It's probably 13 by now!) Polanski was demonized by the press, convicted, and managed to flee, fearing a heavy sentence.

HOLA4425

Are you saying you think that excuses him raping a 13 year old girl? I may weep for him as a child but, as an adult, I want the sick mother-f*cker locked up and rotting in a prison cell.

That (sort of) Manhunter quote did, as it does frequently, pass through my mind as well.

Archived