House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libitina

Recreational Grieving And Mourning Sickness.

Have the media got nothing to do other than hype up the fact that George is on his deathbed? Is nothing else newsworthy happening?

Makes me sick. The mans not even dead yet (last time I looked anyway) and they're all mourning him as a hero. He was an alcoholic footballer FFS.

Grrrr...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../ixnewstop.html

He was an alcoholic footballer FFS.

Wrong, he was an alcoholic footballer who was/is a legend of his time!

A flawed football genius!

Wrong, he was an alcoholic footballer who was/is a legend of his time!

A flawed football genius!

I agree that he was a legend but the media are calling him a hero (why?) and acting all pious because he's drank himself to death. It annoys me. Wait until he's dead and then mourn his loss.

I agree that he was a legend but the media are calling him a hero (why?) and acting all pious because he's drank himself to death. It annoys me. Wait until he's dead and then mourn his loss.

He's not a hero to me, and I do think its horrid the way they are going on before he has passed away, but a legend he is and always will be.

Generally speaking, the use of the word 'hero' for anyone who gets paid so well for doing something they enjoy has always bugged me.

There's nothing 'heroic' about kicking a ball into a net.

It's a word that needs reclaiming.

Have the media got nothing to do other than hype up the fact that George is on his deathbed? Is nothing else newsworthy happening?

Makes me sick. The mans not even dead yet (last time I looked anyway) and they're all mourning him as a hero. He was an alcoholic footballer FFS.

Grrrr...

Completly agree, the constant 'is he dead yet' news items have made me sick. I didn't listen to the news today because I knew that's all they would be talking about.

He's not a hero, the poor policewoman who lost here life last week is. Anyone notice that now a 'celebrity' is ill she's been all but forgotten. :angry:

Totaly agree

I've haven't seen so many

"He's not dead yet" exclusives since the Queen Mother (God bless 'er), refused to shuffle off her mortal coil untill 20 years after her obituaries were written.

I hope George isnt well enough to read the papers this morning. He'll think he's dead.

Grrrr...

You get my vote libitina

And I'm a fan of football, and a genius in the game Best nodoubt was.

But its proof positive if ever it was needed that we are obsessed by a celebrity culture. Which is in its self is no accident, its just part of the ongoing proccess of duming down the electorate. Wherebye "they" concentrate the mind on that which is not worth knowing, at the expense of that which is.

He was a flawed genius, not a hero. I mean you can respect flawed geniuses (genii?) for what they're good at but for me a hero needs to have role model qualities.

best was brilliant but he was also sick man with a disease-alcholism. he was brilliant for a very small part of his life 16-27 only 11 years. The remainder was a sad demise. I hope that people remember the 11 years and not the sad demise. I think the media have been proven to be lazy and uncaring. the man is not dead yet they have written his obituary. I hope it does not upset his friends and family too much

I think he was a symbol.

I symbol of 60's youth. The generation that has shaped society ever since and will continue to do so until extreme old age.

Hence he means more to many than just as a footballer.

Also, there is the huge potential in looking at his life for the moral debates that rage around personal responsibility and alcoholism to manifest themselves in radio phone ins.

What pulls my goat is the superfical emotional outburst afterwards. What, like you know the person(s)?! It all seems to have happened after diana died.

What pulls my goat is the superfical emotional outburst afterwards. What, like you know the person(s)?! It all seems to have happened after diana died.

Yes, and she couldn't even play football.

What makes me laugh is the fact that a total pi55head like best who spent twice as much time drinking than footballing. Died just as the law changes to allow round the clock drinking.

Larf? I nearly sh@t!

Alot of the time people care because they are supposed to care. If the guy meant something to you then so be it grieve, but to alot of people he meant nothing. By definition he is not a legend.

I always have a slight problem with peoples double standards on issues of death, people will rant all day long that we are all equal to eachother, that everyones life is precious and worth the same, in reality that is not the case.

Sometimes people think i am heartless because i say things like "if i dont know them then i dont care about them". That is exactly what everyone else does except they say that they do care and show some crocodile tears.

People die all the time and people put more worth on someones life than they do to others. Double standards i say.

Of course if friends and family die then you will grieve, you will miss them dearly but to grieve for someone you dont know makes little sense to me, like for example the female cop that was shot dead, everyones sadend about it. The cops will pull out all stops to find the killers because she is one of thier own - if it was your mum or dad they would not pursue so vigorously. If it was a male cop then there would be such an outcry. If it was someguy who got stabbed to death by a man that picked a fight with him after drinking... who cares? his friends and family do but you and i sure as hell dont. Sometimes people care because they are told they are supposed to care.

Again i dont want to heartless becuase i know its an emotive issue but death comes to each and everyone of us, it is the only certainty and everyone who read that will probably think to themselves "duh, we know that" and then quickly put up thier sheild of denial to themselves because they dont like the thought of it.

Back on the subject of Best, all i would say is to let his friends and family grieve because it is very valid for them to do so, but for me to grieve for some 60's footballer who drunk himself into oblivion, who was given a second chance and STILL blew it would be a little stupid.

Obviously if i knew the man personally then he would mean something differnt to me, but i do/did not and he doesnt.

Guest magnoliawalls

What I find absolutely staggering is that my local butcher still has a sign outside saying: "Best liver"

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for that one!!

What I find absolutely staggering is that my local butcher still has a sign outside saying: "Best liver"

that's plagiarism wait till ILBB finds out :rolleyes: