House Price Crash Forum

Spoons

SarahBell

HOLA441
HOLA442

Um, isn't that what everybody outside that self-praising bunch of word merchants calls "energy"? Why on earth call it "spoons"?

Never heard that before, and I will be well unimpressed if somebody starts trotting that nonsense out at work.

Spoons should retain its old-fashioned meaning: cuddling in bed whilst facing the same way.

HOLA443

Have seen people commenting about how they don't have enough spoons to deal with stuff.

http://queermentalhe...article/spoons/

Doesn't it just reinforce the view that you have limited resources and probably sets a self-furfilling prophecy.

im more interested in how one furfills?...should it be done in private? Is it called furfillation?

HOLA444

Now hey you lot, don't be too dismissive of new ideas - spoons are a very powerful healing tool.

These two coffin-dodgers arrived in wheelchairs and iron-lungs, but give them a set of spoons, and, well see for yourselves in this remarkable video...

;)

XYY

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rink-Drink-Teaspoons-Stainless-Steel/dp/B002VFRF1E/

£2.49 for a box of 12, with free delivery. I don't quite see how it's possible in this country not to have enough!

That's an extra fiver delivery for you renegades, north of the Wall! :blink:

HOLA449

Have seen people commenting about how they don't have enough spoons to deal with stuff.

http://queermentalhe...article/spoons/

Doesn't it just reinforce the view that you have limited resources and probably sets a self-furfilling prophecy.

Spoons - useful for eating soup, sleeping position, game we made up that is not appropriate for a public board.

First I've heard of The spoon theory http://www.butyoudon...e-spoon-theory/

I asked her to count her spoons. She asked why, and I explained that when you are healthy you expect to have a never-ending supply of "spoons". But when you have to now plan your day, you need to know exactly how many "spoons" you are starting with. It doesn't guarantee that you might not lose some along the way, but at least it helps to know where you are starting. She counted out 12 spoons. She laughed and said she wanted more. I said no, and I knew right away that this little game would work, when she looked disappointed, and we hadn't even started yet. I've wanted more "spoons" for years and haven't found a way yet to get more, why should she? I also told her to always be conscious of how many she had, and not to drop them because she can never forget she has Lupus.

Long winded empathy? Could actually see this being of use to children in game play - similar to existing. Sets limiting boundaries for adults.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

First time I've come across it, but it's actually quite a useful analogy. As someone with a chronic illness myself - you are very much aware of energy levels although I'm always trying to push through the limits (which admittedly are quite high even compared with many healthy people).

For example, at one time I thought I'd like to run a marathon and no matter what I did training wise I couldn't get past around 15 miles. I could comfortably run 10 miles, 13 miles was a bit of a stretch and just could never get past 15. 15 would leave me spent for the next day and half as well. Further even at 10-13 miles, my chances of falling over due to fatigue or getting colds and other infections - went through the roof. I kept trying for a couple of years before giving it up as bad job.

Now, I run 6-7 miles 3 times a week, enjoy it and still have enough energy for the rest of the day.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

First time I've come across it, but it's actually quite a useful analogy. As someone with a chronic illness myself - you are very much aware of energy levels although I'm always trying to push through the limits (which admittedly are quite high even compared with many healthy people).

For example, at one time I thought I'd like to run a marathon and no matter what I did training wise I couldn't get past around 15 miles. I could comfortably run 10 miles, 13 miles was a bit of a stretch and just could never get past 15. 15 would leave me spent for the next day and half as well. Further even at 10-13 miles, my chances of falling over due to fatigue or getting colds and other infections - went through the roof. I kept trying for a couple of years before giving it up as bad job.

Now, I run 6-7 miles 3 times a week, enjoy it and still have enough energy for the rest of the day.

Good going StainlessSteelCat

18 - 21 miles a week is a lot - and you still have enough spoons left over for the rest of the day. The analogy is rather good I agree. Am already mind hunting for coloured baking spoons for future reference.

:)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I'm reminded of that thread in which I posited that a dishwasher wouldn't quite bring us (two of us) the same benefits as a larger family in part because we didn't have enough cutlery.

And someone suggesting we buy 100 teaspoons.

Then I recall that stuff about austerity ;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

How coincidental, I've just been looking at latte spoons and irish coffee glasses. Indeed one can never have too many spoons it seems!

Latte spoons - that's a new one on me.

An ex had never heard of egg spoons so I had to buy some to use, she thought they were great.

If I see them in a charity shop I will be the old-fashioned coffee spoons as I just like them.

Archived