House Price Crash Forum

Kids Flying By Themselves

wherebee

HOLA441

So - be interested if someone can also post this on mumsnet to see if we get a different bunch of replies here vs there?!

Assume the airlines give a chaperone service from start to finish.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

So - be interested if someone can also post this on mumsnet to see if we get a different bunch of replies here vs there?!

Assume the airlines give a chaperone service from start to finish.

Surely that should be up to the parents, who know their child best, although parental choice seems to be out of fashion in these days of state interference in all aspects of everyday life.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

My brother and I traveled as unaccompanied minors at least 8 return flights a year for 7 years. I was 8 when we started and he was 7. We usually travelled BA, went from Belfast to London, often with a long stop over in Heathrow, occasionally over night and then on to wherever my parents were at the time. While ago now so flying wasn't the norm that it is now. We loved it and were treated like stars. We were taken to the cockpit on every journey to get our log books updated and signed by the pilot. And If you got an extra nice pilot we even went to the cockpit just before landing and got to speak to my dad who was in the control tower.

I don't remember one negative incident occurring, anything but. It started me on a life long love of people watching & travelling. My son started travelling on his own as an unaccompanied minor at 10. Service was just as good although some of the treats we got (cockpit and freedom to run around Heathrow) were not offered. I suppose health & safely wouldn't allow it now. Have happily sent him on Emirates and BA - he preferred Emirates.

The airlines take unaccompanied minor care very seriously - I wouldn't have any concerns about it. And yes children are chaperoned from hand over at the first airport right to delivery with the agreed person at the final destination.

edited coz I'm an illiterate mare sometimes

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Although I generally think kids are far too much coccooned these days, I voted for the snakes. If nothing else, problems crop up on flights all the time. You could easily end up stuck for days in the middle of nowhere, and you need things like large supplies of money to cope.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

DAMN MY CHOICE OF WORDS. I meant, obviously, kids flying on commercial airlines as passengers.

It wasn't obvious, for a while I thought you were talking about demon possessed levitating sprogs! :huh:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Although I generally think kids are far too much coccooned these days, I voted for the snakes. If nothing else, problems crop up on flights all the time. You could easily end up stuck for days in the middle of nowhere, and you need things like large supplies of money to cope.

Under a certain age kids are classed as unaccompanied minors. In my airline days we used to have 'aunties' accompanying the younger ones, being e.g. sent at 8 or so back from Uganda or Kenya to boarding school. Well remember one such crying nearly all the way back, saying he hated it, he was bottom of the class, etc. Felt so sorry for him. :(

But if there had been any problem en route (I seem to recall an unscheduled nightstop in Tunis with an UnMin on board) any such child would of course have been looked after by either the 'auntie' or the crew.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Under a certain age kids are classed as unaccompanied minors. In my airline days we used to have 'aunties' accompanying the younger ones, being e.g. sent at 8 or so back from Uganda or Kenya to boarding school. Well remember one such crying nearly all the way back, saying he hated it, he was bottom of the class, etc. Felt so sorry for him. :(

But if there had been any problem en route (I seem to recall an unscheduled nightstop in Tunis with an UnMin on board) any such child would of course have been looked after by either the 'auntie' or the crew.

I have fond memories of being looked after overnight by a Dan-Air flight hostess.

But then, I was 22 and she was 20. :D

Archived